• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Deciding Between NCX500, Purifi Eigentakt and Nilai

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As any audiophile can tell you, with that much negative feedback it must be unlistenable.

/:D

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
It has so much feedback, there's no output :D

OP
Jim Creek

Jim Creek

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Interesting read, thanks. Bruno says “The amplifier is not "DD". It's a straight self-oscillating fully analogue design”.

So the Purifi Eigentakt is an analog design?
This a bit about semantics. Some people mistakenly think Class D is "digital", but it's not in the classic sense. D doesn't stand for digital.

tc2007

I think Buckeye is probably the cheapest and most honest seller. I saw on video on YT recently where he said the difference between Purfi and Hypex latest modules is negligible and best to get Hypex and save the money.

topside3

I’m getting ready to replace my 7 year old Emotiva BasX A300 amp. I’ve narrowed it down to three choices, NCX500, Purifi Egentakt or Nilai. After researching this forum it seems that all 3 choices will sound the same. So I’ve concluded the NCX500 would be the most cost effective. The Purifi Eigentakt seems to be getting the most attention from reviewers. The Hypex Nilai is the latest and greatest and the most expensive choice.

So the VTV NCX500 is likely going to be my choice. Am I missing anything?

I have the Nilai mono blocks powering my Focal Sopra 2 and they are killer!!

Jakenz

I have the Nilai mono blocks powering my Focal Sopra 2 and they are killer!!
Nice. I have the Nilai stereo amp and Sopra No 1s - pretty nice too, but am a little mono curious. What do you use as a preamp? (Athena here)

Megaken

What did you end up getting? I'm pretty happy with my VTV NCx500.
But I saw a YouTube video where people compare the 3 modules you listed and the consensus there was that Nilai is superior, so Id be curious to listen to it and compare.

PXL_20240213_065922304.jpg

welwynnick

Forum Donor
This a bit about semantics. Some people mistakenly think Class D is "digital", but it's not in the classic sense. D doesn't stand for digital.
Yes it's semantics. The only way class D isn't digital is if you redefine what digital means so that it fits what you want. Agreed - D doesn't stand for digital.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Yes it's semantics. The only way class D isn't digital is if you redefine what digital means so that it fits what you want. Agreed - D doesn't stand for digital.
I saw you try and fail to successfully defend this illogic in the thread:

Why try again here?

welwynnick

Forum Donor
Because truth is more important than deceitful marketing

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting read, thanks. Bruno says “The amplifier is not "DD". It's a straight self-oscillating fully analogue design”.

So the Purifi Eigentakt is an analog design?
I have no clue what Bruno is referring to, but all class D uses PWM technology, the PWM is typically controlled by an integrated chip. I wonder if he is referring to that IC chip.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own a self assembled Hypex NC400, it is an awesome amp, very clean.

After that experience, I decided to get another Dutch or Danish class D for my main system. I ended up deciding the NCx500 over Purifi and the Nilai due to the combination of power output and low distortion. This time, I ordered it all assembled from Apollon, I ordered the dual mono version, it's taking forever, I ordered it on Dec 26th and it should come in next week, at least I hope.

With Apollon, you do pay a premium, but they have by far the best looking casework, very premium in my opinion, and they put a lot more detail into the assembly.

If you get the LUX model, per Apollon's website: "The chassis is custom machined from solid aluminium. 10mm thick walls and 5mm thick lid and bottom. For improved aesthetics we have designed the chassis in such a way that there are no screws visible when you look at the amplifier as they are only on the bottom plate."

Last edited:

aitsu

I own a self assembled Hypex NC400, it is an awesome amp, very clean.

After that experience, I decided to get another Dutch or Danish class D for my main system. I ended up deciding the NCx500 over Purifi and the Nilai due to the combination of power output and low distortion. This time, I ordered it all assembled from Apollon, I ordered the dual mono version, it's taking forever, I ordered it on Dec 26th and it should come in next week, at least I hope.

With Apollon, you do pay a premium, but they have by far the best looking casework, very premium in my opinion, and they put a lot more detail into the assembly.

If you get the LUX model, per Apollon's website: "The chassis is custom machined from solid aluminium. 10mm thick walls and 5mm thick lid and bottom. For improved aesthetics we have designed the chassis in such a way that there are no screws visible when you look at the amplifier as they are only on the bottom plate."
I also ordered an NCx500 amp from Apollon around December 26th (Dec 29th).
It arrived today and goes into my rack tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpeg
    IMG_0417.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_0416.jpeg
    IMG_0416.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Top Bottom