• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Speaker Review

dorirod

A cam strap works wonders whenever I have to precariously balance speakers (i.e almost everytime I do vertical measurements), though idk if it'd mess with the klippel's fancy processing.
Probably easier to use a makeshift 2x4 stand that attaches to the wall mount screw holes.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
alignment.PNG

:(

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I mention this only in passing... but the nice folks at PE have an only a bit more expensive cheap loudspeaker that they (at least) seem to think highly of :) Perhaps (????) worthy of attention.
No AMT, either. :cool:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402x-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-465

1581526042918.png

1581526113505.png

Mind you, I've neither seen 'em in the (ahem) flesh nor heard them.

There's even a powered morph :)
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-pair-with-35mm-aux-in--300-467

again, I'm just sayin'...

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mention this only in passing... but the nice folks at PE have an only a bit more expensive cheap loudspeaker that they (at least) seem to think highly of :) Perhaps (????) worthy of attention.
No AMT, either. :cool:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-mk402x-4-2-way-bookshelf-speaker-pair--300-465

View attachment 49912
View attachment 49913

Mind you, I've neither seen 'em in the (ahem) flesh nor heard them.

There's even a powered morph :)
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-pair-with-35mm-aux-in--300-467

again, I'm just sayin'...
This one and the MTM version have been reviewed and measured by Audioholics. The MTM version had pretty okay meausurements for the price actually :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A fellow over at AK has a pair of the floorstanders and reported to be quite taken with them.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. I was wondering how these ultra cheap speakers all the reviewers gush over would measure. About as expected. Are all these reviewers deaf? Maybe we should measure them; let’s see their audiology reports!

Martin

TimW

Major Contributor
I can't test very wide soundbars as they require an extension to the Klippel. And may create such a complex soundfield that needs another optional module to test them. But I am game testing a narrow one if someone wants to recommend one.
I've seen the Bose Solo 5 sold at most retail stores. It is only 21.6" wide. I want to see how a Bose product measures.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such and advanced system and analysis wasted on these cheap speakers... I wished users would loan higher end speakers for testing. My respect to Amir spending his time testing this. :D

I'd love to... But mine are already measured a ton by Genelec, and packaging and shipping would be hundreds. (Genelec 8260)

It would probably stroke my ego, or let me know I needed them repaired if they were to be measured.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Cheap speaker is garbage. In other news, water is still wet. More news at 11.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of you love to see these CSD/waterfall measurements. Here is one of countless views I can make up with this graph:
Amir, that looks good.
Does the Klippel NFS also provide a sonogram view of the CSD.

This view is the best way to evaluate how severe a resonance is, because you can immediately see how many dB the resonance is attenuated in which time period.
For example the CSD of a 6'' PA midrange driver. First the waterfall display, then as a sonogram with stepped colour
1581535278808.png

1581535296265.png

The CSD of the driver does not look good. However, reflections can significantly falsify the result of the CSD (as in the example above - more on that in a moment).

Therefore my question, was the "Direct Sound Separation" active in the impulse response of the CSD and were all room and gear reflections eliminated?

If there are possible reflections in the CSD, the easiest way to find out is to look at the Burst Decay - is this evaluation supported by Klippel NFS?

Burst Decay of the 6'' PA midrange driver
1581543769219.png

Resonances of the chassis can be recognized by the course along/parallel to the time axis - like the resonance between 6-7kHz at the cone breakup.
A decay pattern caused by a delay, runs oblique to the time axis - like the range around 1.2kHz.

Amir, can you please display the CSD of the Dayton speaker as a sonogram and also the burst decay (if possible) in sonogram form?
That would be very interesting for me.

Last edited:

Darkweb

I wonder if some of these reviewers expectations of a $70 pair of speakers were so low that these managed to still clear the bar.

It wouldn’t make me feel very good to objectively crap on some kids first set of speakers but if the Pioneers are that much better for a little more money that certainly deserves to be pointed out.

D

Deleted member 12179

I love steve guttemberg, but also love the hard time you gave him here.

D

Deleted member 12179

Cheap speaker is garbage. In other news, water is still wet. More news at 11.

Yes, pretty much this. As much as it would be great which one of the current cheap passive speakers sound better, and I understand it's cheaper to analyse cheap speakers, to start with, I would happily appreciate measurements of more expensive stuff, like adam's t5v or a7x. Wanna upgrade from my yamahas. Anyways Amir already opened a thread asking what speakers you would like to see measured.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The vizio amp has just 5 watts! That's not g
Does the Klippel NFS also provide a sonogram view of the CSD.
Sure. They have independent parameters though (although share the gating setting). Here is a view:

1581565664247.png

Same as CSD, I can change the parameters and get infinite variation of these graphs. You have to know what you are searching for before creating these graphs (e.g. deciding on time versus frequency resolution).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If there are possible reflections in the CSD, the easiest way to find out is to look at the Burst Decay - is this evaluation supported by Klippel NFS?
Burst tones are supported but for a different purpose. There is no direct equivalent to this feature in ARTA.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Therefore my question, was the "Direct Sound Separation" active in the impulse response of the CSD and were all room and gear reflections eliminated?
No. There are two domains of analysis in Klippel:

1. Using their standard analyzer (KA3) and making simple measurements. Here, it is assumed you either use gated analysis or use anechoic chamber. Distortion, CSD, Sonograph, impedance, etc. all come out of this subsystem.

2. Robotic Near Field Scanner. This is a bolt on feature that uses #1 for measurements but then applies all the clever signal processing to model the soundfield and if asked, remove reflections.

There is a way to use #2 to remove reflections in measurements in #1. I have done a bit of testing on that and it indeed corrects the frequency response. I have not however looked to see if it also corrects the CSD, etc. to be reflection free.

Top Bottom