• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dayton Audio B652-AIR Speaker Review

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These thngs work fine as surround speakers (to add a little sense of spaciousness in my 4.1 desktop setup) after putting a 2 ohm resistor in series between the existing resistor and the tweeter -- and while I was doing that, I noticed that the tweeter polarity reversal idea that ZeroFidelity tried now seems to be the stock wiring. Aside from that, WTF can one reasonably expect from a $42 pair of speakers? They're certainly much better than any "computer speaker system" (e.g. Logitech) I've encountered -- and they're less than half the street price of those admittedly better Pioneers.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Does it sound better than a truly garbage speaker? Yes. But I am here to keep you from bad sound and this is bad sound folks. Spend a few more dollars and get the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.

Or just get the low end powered JBL's and be done with it, including the cheap amp that someone would connect to something like these. :)

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
My Pioneer SP-B22-LRs are staring all of you down, furious beams of high frequencies emitting from their tweeters, with two very imposing subwoofers as bodyguards. I am not one to say I told you so, but I TOLD YOU SO. Punks.

NEXT!

Jon AA

Forum Donor
I'm still playing around with how I want to present these. I think I like the lines for the different axes. Makes it easier to keep track when you know that the vertical line bins are 10 degree increments.
Those lines definitely help. One other suggestion that makes these easier to read for me, is a line that traces the -6 db and -12 db downpoints through the colors. This makes gives a more precise look at a glance than trying to visualize them through the color smudges.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Those lines definitely help. One other suggestion that makes these easier to read for me, is a line that traces the -6 db and -12 db downpoints through the colors. This makes gives a more precise look at a glance than trying to visualize them through the color smudges.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually posted about this in my other thread to see which presentation is preferred.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/erinsaudiocorner.11219/post-325911

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Such and advanced system and analysis wasted on these cheap speakers... I wished users would loan higher end speakers for testing. My respect to Amir spending his time testing this. :D

I think we are just getting through all the budget stuff that Amir acquired to produce a bunch of "baseline" reviews. There will definitely be high end stuff measured in the future.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I think we are just getting through all the budget stuff that Amir acquired to produce a bunch of "baseline" reviews. There will definitely be high end stuff measured in the future.

I agree...he's just getting into a rhythm... I would have been surprised if he started with his Salon's...

LDKTA

Very interesting. I guess this isn't exactly surprising. More data! Keep it coming!

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Pioneer SP-B22-LRs are available for next to nothing with free shipping from Pioneer via eBay -- $79/pair "open box," $75/pair "factory refurbished." If they were that cheap with I bought my (now modded) B-652 AIRs, going for the Pioneers instead would have been a no-brainer.

Pioneer SP-B22-LRs (refurb)

Pioneer SP-B22-LRs (open box)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am surprised with the other reviews. Usually, I just assume the company somehow pays the reviewer directly or indirectly to get a good review so I expect expensive speakers to get rave reviews. But this?

StevenEleven

Forum Donor
Yep, to me the headline is how absolutely incompetent or awful or phony or bought-and-paid-for (or some combination thereof) the audio press and blogosphere is. What a bunch of poseurs. It‘s actually much much worse than even I thought. And believe me, I am a skeptical person. Thanks, @amirm , for illustrating this so vividly.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Well, I definitely must have tin ears. I use 6 of these for Home Theater setup in our summer camp in the Adirondacks. Two pairs stacked for L and R , AMT' s in the center (top of the pair upside down). Driven bi-amped with an Onkyo TX-RZ720. A third pair, series , for the center wttw horiz. 'Room EQ'ed ' with the built-in Onkyo thing..

Now this is never used for 'serious listening' - do that only on HP, LG V20, Liquid Spark, HE400i.

But for TV, the family loves it!

I have to admit, I am sorely, sorely tempted to buy a dsp-408 for $149, take the L and R pairs, rip out the 'crossovers' , drive each of the 4 tweeters and woofers independently, create a proper crossover for each, and PEQ each..Then ship 'em (one pair anyway and the 408) to @amirm :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
They sound better than almost all of the Radio Shack monkey coffins I've ever heard -- if that makes anybody feel any better.
A shoot-out between the B652-AIR and the boss's beloved MC-1000s might be illuminating and instructive.

;)

wwenze

Major Contributor
Yes, the old version was bad. The AMT tweeter made it even worse.

Seems whenever someone runs a woofer full range it mucks up distortion higher up.

This is a terrific review. I love it because its comedy gold with prior reviews being so very wrong done with the eyes/ears methodology.

So for now we have a Biggest Loser. But is it the speaker which is the biggest loser or the loser-ville reviews everyone has done on these? :)

Imagine people in my country paying USD$115 for it
https://sg.carousell.com/p/dayton-a...eakers-with-amt-ribbon-tweeter-pair-67156883/

Top Bottom