• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Considering an upgrade. How much better would it be going from Klipsch R-620f to the RP-8000f in a full 5.1.2 system?

tomkatt

My current home theater/listening space is a 5.1.2 setup in a long open plan (combined living/dining/kitchen space) that's 14' W x 30' L. Current equipment is:

• Sony STR-DH790 receiver
  • Klipsch R-620f tower front L/R
  • Klipsch RC-62 ii Center
  • Dayton T652-Air tower surrounds
  • Dayton B652-Air heights
  • Dayton SUB-1200 subwoofer
I like the Klipsch sound and the horns are great in the open space. I'm considering upgrading the fronts to the RP-8000f towers and moving the 620f towers to the surrounds to take out the Daytons, and move to a full Klipsch 5.1 setup (either removing the B652s or eventually replacing them, but I don't consider the heights very important). Just not sure if this would be a major improvement or not. I don't actually have any complaints about the r-620f towers, they sound good to me, the horns are great in the space. And while the Daytons aren't amazing speakers, as surrounds they're fine and the AMTs blend well with the horn tweeters on the Klipsches, so I'm not experiencing any particular tonal issues. So no problems with the existing setup, maybe just have the upgrade bug. But if it's a major improvement I'd definitely be interested.

To clarify, this is a combined home theater/gaming/listening setup, but these days I probably spend more time listening to music on it than anything else.

OP
T

tomkatt

Review with measurements of the RP-8000F: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/klipsch_rp_8000f_ii/s

Nothing there to indicate that this would be a significant step up.
I'm honestly not sure how to read that, and can't find similar graphs on the r-620f to compare. What would you say there indicates it's not a significant step up? I've read repeatedly the the Reference Premiere series is much better than the Reference series, but it's hard to find any decent comparisons between these two speakers.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Those are just not very good measurements. Watch Erin's youtube video for his comments. For a similar price, the Revel F35 (for example) has much better measurements: https://www.spinorama.org/speakers/Revel F35/ASR/index_asr-v2-20210415.html

The only way to tell if these will be an upgrade for you is to try them in your system. Buy them from somewhere with return privileges (eg Crutchfield) and try them for an extended period.

If possible, go listen to some better measuring speakers at a store and see if the differences register with you. (Eg. KEF R series at many Best Buys).

Top Bottom