• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny's ASR "Will you ACCEPT my Challenge?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Yeah pretty much. This is my history for my ~300k view channel. It's about exactly $1/1000 views. It's annoying how they withhold payment until you hit $100. I haven't posted in years, so it's going to be a while.

View attachment 291184

I use uBlock Origin.

yup. He's not makin bank on Youtube. He's makin bank on selling his crap. So, if threads like this cost him a handful of customers by shedding light on his scams he's losing way more than he gains from the clicks.

Emdub

Guys, it's obvious, the 1st clip uses his power cables, and the 2 other clips use normal power cables, which don't filter out all the noises. See, even all of you can hear the differences! His power cable is so good, you guys thought it was the sound from the CD, while it was played from his system. ;)
Had he used his power cable on a washing machine, would his T-shirt be substantially cleaner?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
One reason I love audio shows is discovering new music. Sophia Pfister (from that first video) is quite nice. I just bought her two offerings on Bandcamp.

Good on you. I enjoyed Jana's "bonus tracks" and thought Pfister was good also. I haven't watched those Earspace vids in a while, YouTube is good for something after all !!

Andysu

Major Contributor
Had he used his power cable on a washing machine, would his T-shirt be substantially cleaner?
cat-washing-machine.gif

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the next new and improved Tide detergent will include an upgraded washer cord for whiter whites and more colorful colors.

ocinn

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's because you are using the stock version of YouTube. There's this guy named Danny that has a mod package you can buy that dramatically improves the payout rate. It mainly involves swapping out the power cables and bus connectors for the YouTube servers. If you are handy with soldering and breaking-and-entering data centers you will be amazed at the outcome.
I mean, everybody knows that the Internet is a series of tubes.

PQISRDBUJ2UCHD5RMCW4UF2EW3EVCTUR.jpg

Right up Mr. R's alley!

1686354061719.jpeg

9780061994937_custom-b0879c17d209f90821c85a0512fb56674e69cf3c-s300-c85.jpg

Not just that.....

On my decent system that I CAN play youtube on easily, it still sounds like crap.

A microphone recording of a room playing a system NEVER sounds good, no matter what the mics or playback devices.
The very act of recording a system playing in a room, instantly kills ANY sound it did have.

Just a quick question. What do you guys use to measure your speakers and room?

"The very act of recording a system playing in a room, instantly kills ANY sound it did have."
Is the same true for instruments? acoustic guitar can never sound good if recorded with a microphone?

Just recorded this, with an iphone. And i'm in the process of testing how good sound it is possible to get out a cheap speaker. Before
i recorded this i was testing out when it's start to distort to much in low freq. What you are hearing is a 5 inch speaker costing 20 euro almost pushed
to it's limit. So as far from an optimal recording it is possible to get. But how does it sound?

Link to speaker

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with Jesse Ventura- I choose none of the above.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

"The very act of recording a system playing in a room, instantly kills ANY sound it did have."
Is the same true for instruments? acoustic guitar can never sound good if recorded with a microphone?

Just recorded this, with an iphone. And i'm in the process of testing how good sound it is possible to get out a cheap speaker. Before
i recorded this i was testing out when it's start to distort to much in low freq. What you are hearing is a 5 inch speaker costing 20 euro almost pushed
to it's limit. So as far from an optimal recording it is possible to get. But how does it sound?

Link to speaker
You need minimum ear microphones to capture what is heard and then headphones to match the binaural curve.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok. I must admit I fell for it, twice (there's yet another challenge). And this is how it feels.

Elmer Fudd's blind test?
"Somebody must have tweaked me"? :facepalm:

I'll see myself out.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
the first challenge was just taking a nibble on the bait
thats-bait.gif

the second bait , danny wants to feed you some more baiting audio challenge

bait 2

just when you thought it was safe to take the bait
giphy.gif

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just posted this on YouTube to Danny's vid. "We live in a time where ignorant people think that if they say something loud enough and often enough, it makes it true. Danny doesn't have the education to know what he's talking about. That makes him ignorant. These repetitive vids attacking an extremely well educated and accomplished engineer, is him shouting into the vast darkness.... "I AM RELEVANT!!". No. You're ignorant by choice and proud of it. Facts are facts. What is repeated here are not." I'm sure that it has already been deleted. There is no room for facts in the flat earth (2-D) universe in which he resides.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
the first challenge was just taking a nibble on the bait

2nd 'challenge' is more of the same.
orig (A) vs the version with the (-84dB) 20kHz oscillation and room noise in it (mic recording)

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
He has though changed his t-shirt,
Keith

OnLyTNT

Forget the content of these challenges. It is impossible to collect a reliable data from the comments, process and get statistically meaningful result. Totally futile attempt. I am not an experienced data analyst but there is no need for expertise to see the outcome... I guess who cares as long and much as you can manipulate your audience towards your way...

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The issue is that if you're recording something from (say) 6 feet away, most of what you hear on a standard microphone recording is "the room", i.e. reflected sound.

This is also what you hear in person, but your brain very effectively corrects for this. Once you hear the recording, suddenly you realize how much "room" is in the sound, it's quite jarring sometimes.

If you're recording acoustic guitar, you'd put the mic a lot closer, and probably take some effort to record in a room that sounds good on recordings. The only time you'd put the mic 6+ feet away for a recording is when you're doing a live recording with the intention of capturing the space.

Doing a listening test with in-room recordings is pretty questionable in general, because again, you're mostly hearing the room.

As someone else mentioned, doing it with a binaural microphone makes the concept a little more credible, but then you're left to contend with HRTFs that don't match yours.

I thin you can make RELATIVE comparisons of speakers using in-room recordings. But only comparisons within the same setup. Youtuber A and Youtuber B's recordings will have nothing to do with each other, and none of them will give you any clue as to what they sound like in person!

The total failure to acknowledge this among audiophile youtubers is pretty astounding.

GM3

Forget the content of these challenges. It is impossible to collect a reliable data from the comments, process and get statistically meaningful result. Totally futile attempt. I am not an experienced data analyst but there is no need for expertise to see the outcome... I guess who cares as long and much as you can manipulate your audience towards your way...
The only goal there is obfuscation, and it's safe to assume that the 1st test didn't reach the conclusion he was looking for, hence attempt #2. There will be no useful conclusion.

Since the 1st test appears to be the original recording and the other two were recordings of his systems, and the 2nd test appears to be again original recording vs recording of his system, my guess is that he was expecting that people would prefer the latter two. And/or that there is some sort of gotcha, but I can't really see what it could be in context of GR-R vs ASR.

Also, recordings are just that; recordings. Some recordings are good, some are bad, and in his case, we don't really know the original is even supposed to sound like, if it's not the 1st track. It's even possible that some bad recordings might sound better after being re-recorded with a 2nd system; which will effectively add crossfeed, equalization, maybe 'spaciousness' or whatever attribute. In audio, people often prefer objectively worse sound reproduction, as sadly high fidelity isn't about high fidelity for most audiofools, rather a set of subjective preferences. So such exercise as commenting on the playback of a recording of a playback of an audio master (mix/manipulation of multiple recordings) will indeed result in nothing of value.

But knowing what I know about Danny, just like having any discussion with him, the 'challenges' will turn out to be completely useless. His test doesn't exist to provide anything of value, in his snake-oil vs ASR, it likely only exist as a smoke screen, for whatever ludicrous point he wants to make.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Link to speaker
It sounds pretty much like I'd expect music from a speaker in a room using an iphone microphone.

In other words - not good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom