• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Danny's ASR "Will you ACCEPT my Challenge?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Now he has a "New" challenge, and I am quite tired of all of this.

Needless challenges and explanations all for what???

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another new challenge? Will it ever stop…:facepalm:

What is it now? Learning how to make a decent recording?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spoiler. "The big reveal" is that the 1st tracks were indeed the originals, and the others were recordings of speaker kits he sells... And allegedly lots of people preferred the sound of his kits over the originals, so therefore you should be buy his speaker kits... **SHOCKING** Who could have foreseen this...! :facepalm:

Guess I failed as I assumed that the test/challenge would have some sort of technical relevance... I did predict it would be a complete waste of time though. LOL
Is this seriously the upshot? Absolutely even stupider than I thought. "A recording of a room sounds different than the raw audio, therefore my speakers are good, buy them" ... and the idea that you could really judge one amp vs. another that way, also ludicrous. What an absolute disgrace that this kind of farcical nonsense content is associated with the hobby at all...

Time for another analogy about how stupid this is - judging the quality of a speaker this way is like trying to measure the height of Big Ben by holding a ruler up to your TV screen. With no reference or standards to compare the recording to, it's not even masturbatory, because at least masturbation has an achievable goal. This is just sheer embarrassment encapsulated in .wav format.

Geert

Major Contributor
What is it now? Learning how to make a decent recording?

Sort of. Again he addresses @amirm and ASR for a challenge to make recordings of our Hifi systems and compare with his. Don't know what's the point. The sound character of such recordings will be all over the place.

Last edited:

VQR

Ahh.. a prototype class-D amp... seems to work at 20kHz or so given the mirrored treble.

Some preferred the mic recording.. seems they like added room reflections over a 'dryer' recording.
Those people love the Capitol duophonic sound of the Beatles. ;)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
a challenge to make some recordings of our Hifi systems and compare with his.
OK... confirmed, he doesn't know how audio works, or he doesn't care, or he is certain that his audience doesn't. What a disgrace. It is hard to think of a bigger waste of time than comparing random in-room recordings made with random equipment.

"Take a smartphone picture of your TV while watching Jurassic Park to prove how good your setup is" FFS, no! Are you high??

Honestly this is beyond dumb, it's sad and IMO we should adopt a policy of not acknowledging this man ever again, for his sake and ours. I'm personally pledging not to click or comment on any more threads about this guy... it's not even a joke because jokes are funny.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly this is beyond dumb, it's sad and IMO we should adopt a policy of not acknowledging this man ever again, for his sake and ours. I'm personally pledging not to click or comment on any more threads about this guy... it's not even a joke because jokes are funny.
Well, see you next time :wave: ;)

… we really need a wave Emoji ;)

1686939938182.gif

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But all joking aside, obviously the real question is: did he have a clean T-shirt this time?

Geert

Major Contributor
OK... confirmed, he doesn't know how audio works, or he doesn't care,

The fun thing is, in his latest video he sort of explained why a recording of an HiFi system fails to capture the true sound as we hear it in the room. And then he challenges ASR to make some recordings because we don't believe in the effect of audiophile cables :oops: I would think he's the one that needs to come up with recordings that show these differences.

Last edited:

VQR

The fun thing is, in his latest video he sort of explained why a recording of an HiFi system fails to capture the true sound as we hear it in the room. And then he challenges ASR to make some recordings because we don't believe in the effect of audiophile cables. I would think he's the one that needs to come up with recordings that shows these differences.
He wants people to prove him wrong when he never proved himself right. :facepalm:

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm still not buying it completely. To have our perception altered wouldn't there need to be something to cause it? Like knowing one of the TVs has premium power cord.

If you just have two pictures side by side with no other input I would think that spotting actual differences would be at least much, much easier than comparing sound.

I do think you can engineer a reasonable test here that would be effective for something like a power cable - two TVs side by side in a neutral-coloured room with even lighting that have been properly calibrated to have the same output, colour balance, etc. Because you can look at them at the same time, side by side, you're a lot less error-prone than A/Bing two audio devices - even in a properly controlled ABX blind test you're going to have issues with audio because of memory - if you properly set up a TV test, I think you're going to get far more people correctly judging that there are no perceptible differences between two identical TVs, calibrated identically, one using thousand-dollars HDMI and power cables, and one using the cables that came in the box (as long as they don't know which is which).

That being said, a lot of the issues related to testing audio equipment also applies to TVs. First, many TVs are not set up and calibrated properly. TVs in a store will have goosed contrast and brightness and have the colour saturation turned up to make them stand out on a bright showroom floor in ways that would look awful in a home, and even if you're putting two TVs side by side and comparing them, subtle differences you may not be conscious of, such as one TV being 5% brighter, or external factors, such as the lighting in the room or even the colour of the room, can alter how you perceive the brightness, contrast, and colour accuracy of a TV. And a salesman standing over your shoulder saying "doesn't the one on the right with the expensive cable look so much better?" is certainly going to influence your perceptions as well. All our senses are fallible and susceptible both to internal trickery and self-deception, and external influence.

For the same reason I don't bother listening to amplifiers before I buy, on the rare occasion I buy a new TV, I don't bother watching it first, because a store showroom is such a terrible environment to judge the picture quality of a television. I trust the measurements and recognize that most TVs these days are great and it's easy to tweak the calibration of most modern sets to preference, as long as you're starting with solid baseline performance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The trouble with the TV analogy is really the scale of differences.

We’re talking about 1 ppm or less differnces (that 110 SINAD or better) with audio.

Make the TV screen colors 1 ppm different from the other, and I bet you won’t see anything either. The trouble is just that we can imagine seeing color and noise differences on a screen, not thinking about the magnitude needed to actually make this detectable by eye.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I think you are a little unfair in your judgements about his latest video. He invites everyone to make recordings of their own speakers from 1 meter distance and compare it to the original files. All I can say is doing that, most hifi enthusiasts will learn a lot of how microphones works, and that the microphones dont have two ears with a brain .

I think its neccesary to do your own recordings ( not only the speakers but also real instruments ) to fully understand the stereo system with all its flaws. This is also valuable when constructing DIY loudspeakers.

Last edited:

GM3

I think you are a little unfair in your judgements about his latest video.
Sounds like he managed to hoodwink you... Let's not lose sight of the ball. The point of contention was whether or not his snake-oil power cables make an audible difference. He made like 3 videos with BS about them responding to Armin's review and all. Then when it was clear that he had no argument, measurements, etc., just BS, he basically gave up defending his stupid BS and came up with a challenge for ASR. Then a second challenge. Then it turned out that his moronic challenge had nothing to do with his power cables, it was instead a cheap publicity stunt for his BS speaker kits, and a pivot from the topic at hand. And he wants you to play along while he continues scamming people with his ridiculously unsafe overpriced snake-oil power cable. NO THANKS. He can shove his invitation and his power cable where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
I think you are a little unfair in your judgements about his latest video. He invites everyone to make recordings of their own speakers from 1 meter distance and compare it to the original files.

And later on he reveals the real objective; to continue his with beef ASR and try to find out if cables make a difference in the sound of the recordings ..., after he spend 20 minutes explaining recordings can't capture the nuances of cables.

We're unfair because of catching his message and seeing the logical fallacy?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried washing my power cables, but unfortunately I forgot to disable the tumbler dryer. The sound is cleaner, but the soundstage has shrunk.

View attachment 294235
Did you at least use some of those anti-static dryer sheets? You do not want static in your cables. Oh, and what about softener in the wash cycle? Surely you would want softer more comfortable sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom