• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

uBACCH now available for Windows

boxerfan88

Hi there,

Anyone here managed to get the uBACCH VST3 to work in foobar2000?
(https://shop.bacch.com/pages/downloads)

I keep getting crashes.

2024-04-07-1716-u-BACCH-64bit.png

And in Windows Event Log:

Code:
Faulting application name: fooVSTHost64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6475c8cd
Faulting module name: uBACCHaudio.vst3, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x650893e2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000004e9297
Faulting process id: 0x13f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01da88cd95d37085
Faulting application path: C:\foobar2000.portable.soekris.usb\user-components\foo_dsp_vst3\fooVSTHost64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\BACCH Laboratories\uBACCHaudio.vst3
Report Id: 1da6e591-89f2-40b7-8e8d-be4cb2b42f6e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Any helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Hoping to try it out.

Last edited:

gandalfandula

I heard the BACCH-SP demo at AXPONA this year - it was quite a revelation! $20k isn't in the cards right now, but a free trial certainly is. so...

i'm trying to get the uBACCH plugin to work on either Jriver or FOOBAR running on Windows 10, but I'm not getting any output from the pink noise test with the plugin loaded into either program. it isn't crashing, just no sound. if i play a file though i get sound, so it doesn't seem to be an audio device configuration issue. i'm running TOSLINK out to the rest of my system. is there something i'm missing here?

OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I heard the BACCH-SP demo at AXPONA this year - it was quite a revelation! $20k isn't in the cards right now, but a free trial certainly is. so...

i'm trying to get the uBACCH plugin to work on either Jriver or FOOBAR running on Windows 10, but I'm not getting any output from the pink noise test with the plugin loaded into either program. it isn't crashing, just no sound. if i play a file though i get sound, so it doesn't seem to be an audio device configuration issue. i'm running TOSLINK out to the rest of my system. is there something i'm missing here?

There is some kind of bug in that uBACCH plugin. To get uBACCH to output pink noise, get JRiver to play some music, preferably a really long track. Then go to the uBACCH plugin and get it to make pink noise.

FWIW in my system I get better results by tuning uBACCH subjectively. I have heard uBACCH in two different configurations of my system. When I bought it, it was set up against the short wall. Then I rotated the system against the long wall. The uBACCH effect was much more pronounced when set up against the long wall, and subjective tuning was easier. When the angle is too narrow, pink noise is centred between the speakers. As I increase the angle, there is a 2-3 degree range where the sound suddenly "pops out" and the soundstage noticeably increases. It doesn't increase slowly, it is more like nothing, nothing, nothing, then bang. Increasing it beyond that angle starts to diminish soundstage width gradually. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this?

gandalfandula

There is some kind of bug in that uBACCH plugin. To get uBACCH to output pink noise, get JRiver to play some music, preferably a really long track. Then go to the uBACCH plugin and get it to make pink noise.

FWIW in my system I get better results by tuning uBACCH subjectively. I have heard uBACCH in two different configurations of my system. When I bought it, it was set up against the short wall. Then I rotated the system against the long wall. The uBACCH effect was much more pronounced when set up against the long wall, and subjective tuning was easier. When the angle is too narrow, pink noise is centred between the speakers. As I increase the angle, there is a 2-3 degree range where the sound suddenly "pops out" and the soundstage noticeably increases. It doesn't increase slowly, it is more like nothing, nothing, nothing, then bang. Increasing it beyond that angle starts to diminish soundstage width gradually. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this?
thanks, that worked! It turns out it was doing the processing before, as well, it just wasn't quite as noticeable on the source material I was trying. It DOES widen the soundstage in my playback, though it isn't as alarming as the head tracked demo I heard at AXPONA. at any rate it gives some hope for a cheaper than $20k implementation!

I setup the Jriver WDM audio routing based on your earlier post and now I have Tidal running through uBACCH too. I found I had to enable exclusive mode in Tidal to get it to output sound.

How do people find it does with movie/TV playback?

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I also heard BACCH at Axpona and it was fantastic!

It’s not the same as uBACCH because it had head tracking and calibration, so I’d be shocked if this was as impactful. Also, I’m sure Edgar was using highly directional speakers

tjcinnamon

I have to experiment with additional songs. I had a much better experience with uBACCH yesterday! Curious if there will be any future updates. Not sure if BACCH labs has updated the algorithm at all but overall it's impressive!

@BACCH Labs what would be the most beneficial for most users would be able to set up uBACCH on EqualizerAPO. Then there wouldn't need to be so many integration points with 3rd party paid software.

Anyways, really glad I gave this a second shot. Combined with my Polk L800's this was an upgrade.

tjcinnamon

I may try and build a small PC with an input/output to put between my AVR and my amp. I’m hoping the latency is low enough.

tjcinnamon

There is a tiny amount of latency, maybe 1/10 of a second or less. It is barely detectable. I use the PC version, I doubt if the Mac version is any different in terms of performance.
Do you use JRiver WDM driver or something else?

I hope it’s under 10ms

Last edited:
OP
Keith_W

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I use it in JRiver's pipeline. I sometimes use JDM in WDM mode, sometimes not.

I don't know how to measure the latency of uBACCH so I can't give you an exact number, sorry. Why does it need to be under 10ms? Are you concerned about lip sync?

tjcinnamon

I use it in JRiver's pipeline. I sometimes use JDM in WDM mode, sometimes not.

I don't know how to measure the latency of uBACCH so I can't give you an exact number, sorry. Why does it need to be under 10ms? Are you concerned about lip sync?
Yeah, basically I want to build a small appliance to have it between my AVR and the amp for my mains. It will add “distance” to the speakers

Top Bottom