• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

usa_satriani

Thanks for your reply.

I have 15" sealed BMS 15s330 eqed with mc2 t1000, superb but at high volume low frequency it is starting to be too much for them.
Listening to what you say, probably the big xls would be a cheaper, more convenient solution to add a couple of Dayton 15" woofer below 60hz.
And the fact that probably couldn't tell them apart behind room modes...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

In terms of driving heavy subwoofers,
Any recent comment and comparison between xls, ncore, Yamaha px series ?

Thanks Greg
What is a heavy subwoofer particularly? If the amp has sufficient power/impedance handling for your use....

jim80z

Hi,

I am considering this amp to drive two subwoofers and was wondering what peoples opinion is wrt my needs.

The situation is as follows I have 4 SW ie 2 x REL HT1508 and 2 Magnat THX 300 Subs. The combination of these subs and the miniDSP Flex in my room has been great and am very happy with the results. The Magnats are fantastic subs however read on.....

The Magnats must have a design flaw (I have seen others on the net with same issue?) in their built in amplifiers (the power module sub board) as I have now had the original modules burn out on both and then the replacements on both burn out as well (note they are not being pushed to the max, but it may have something to do with 240V power supply). So I have given up on the in built amps and want to bypass the plates using a standalone amp. Some of the stats that Im trying to match on the Magnat subs are:
- Class D 550W RMS
- 1100W Maximum Output Power
- From the cct diagram the 30cm Woofer is 4ohms
- Frequency response 18-200Hz
- link to info on the sub if interested

My searching has led me to Amir's review here as I am considering the Crown XLS 2502.........
What are peoples thoughts wrt headroom, low frequency coverage, etc for the need above? Thx in advance!

Frank207be

Last edited:

jim80z

Even here on ASR you'll find your answer: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/replacing-a-magnat-thx-sub-300-amp.39493/

That Magnat amp has a serious design flaw it seems.

One XLS2502 easily powers 2 of these subs. You can also start with one XLS1002 as you tell that they're not pushed to the max. If one amp is not enough you can add a second XLS1002 later on and operate both amps in bridge mode.
Hi Frank

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I read that thread (hence mentioning seeing others with the same problem in my original post) before posting here. I don't think the posted solution in the link you quoted is right hence asking the wider q. The two items concerning me are 1. the 18Hz vs the rolloff at the lower end by the crown and 2. the peak power required by the Magnat ie does the crown have the required PMP per channel at the same time? You are right re having two amps but space is becoming an issue so prefer one 2 ch amp. I should have made that clear when I asked the question originally...sorry. I should also note that I like what people are saying re fan mechanical noise being extremely low on the crown as well (assuming it isn't stretched badly). If someone thinks there is a better option please let me know. Thx

Last edited:

Frank207be

Hi Frank

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I read that thread (hence mentioning seeing others with the same problem in my original post) before posting here. I don't think the posted solution in the link you quoted is right hence asking the wider q. The two items concerning me are 1. the 18Hz vs the rolloff at the lower end by the crown and 2. the peak power required by the Magnat ie does the crown have the required PMP per channel at the same time? You are right re having two amps but space is becoming an issue so prefer one 2 ch amp. I should have made that clear when I asked the question originally...sorry. I should also note that I like what people are saying re fan mechanical noise being extremely low on the crown as well (assuming it isn't stretched badly). If someone thinks there is a better option please let me know. Thx
Just look at the x-axis scale of the frequency response of the measurements ;) The roll-off is only a measly -0.4dB @20Hz and -1.5dB @10Hz compared to 100Hz. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

I also wouldn't worry about the power delivery of the Crown XLS series. I use both XLS1002 and XLS2502 on 15", 18" and 21" woofers and they never lost control even at very loud levels. OTOH Looking from the outside that Magnat Woofer doesn't look all that special: a stamped steel basket and tiny screws to bolt it down to the enclosure.

The fans stay very quiet even under load. Sometimes they speed up a bit but even then the noise is only audible when the music is muted. I have 3 of these amps sitting in my open rack next to the AVR under the TV.

jim80z

Just look at the x-axis scale of the frequency response of the measurements ;) The roll-off is only a measly -0.4dB @20Hz and -1.5dB @10Hz compared to 100Hz. Nothing to worry about IMHO.

I also wouldn't worry about the power delivery of the Crown XLS series. I use both XLS1002 and XLS2502 on 15", 18" and 21" woofers and they never lost control even at very loud levels. OTOH Looking from the outside that Magnat Woofer doesn't look all that special: a stamped steel basket and tiny screws to bolt it down to the enclosure.

The fans stay very quiet even under load. Sometimes they speed up a bit but even then the noise is only audible when the music is muted. I have 3 of these amps sitting in my open rack next to the AVR under the TV.
Thanks heaps for this response Frank. Kind of where my head was at.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Hi Frank

My recommendation is to go up a size in the Crown amp. Crown power is VERY affordable. So, buy all you might ever need. In the sub business it is "Go big or go home". So in your calculation of what you think you will need, go one size bigger! For full disclosure, I may or may not be a Bass head. LOL

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My recommendation is to go up a size in the Crown amp. Crown power is VERY affordable. So, buy all you might ever need. In the sub business it is "Go big or go home". So in your calculation of what you think you will need, go one size bigger! For full disclosure, I may or may not be a Bass head. LOL
There's a model above the 2502?

jim80z

Yeah thats the first question that came to my mind? :) I don't see a bigger model in the XLS space (?) unless @Spkrdctr was commenting on @Frank207be suggestion that I maybe start with the XLS1002?

Last edited:

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Yeah thats the first question that came to my mind? :) I don't see a bigger model in the XLS space (?) unless @Spkrdctr was commenting on @Frank207be suggestion that I maybe start with the XLS1002?
Depending on where you are (what country) - purchasing a used XLS can provide great bargains - I picked up my XLS2500 for US$250 ... it was a couple of years old at the time, and has since been used for 10 years+
Look especially in pro / band environments rather than audiophile ones!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Ok, you busted me! It is the XLi not the XLS. XLI 3500 but the one warning is it is heavy. Very heavy. I put mine which was the 2500 on the floor so it was safe. So, you would need to be able to put it on the floor as it is a 45 pound amp. Not for the faint of heart. Anyway, you get the picture. just buy enough to easily meet you needs for the next 10 years. After ten years the price works out to be very low averaged out per year. I think you have all good ideas on buying something from Crown. Last I knew they had 5 year warranties on them. I don't know if they still do. Good Luck and let us know what you decide and how it works. We all live vicariously here on ASR. :D

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, you busted me! It is the XLi not the XLS. XLI 3500 but the one warning is it is heavy. Very heavy. I put mine which was the 2500 on the floor so it was safe. So, you would need to be able to put it on the floor as it is a 45 pound amp. Not for the faint of heart. Anyway, you get the picture. just buy enough to easily meet you needs for the next 10 years. After ten years the price works out to be very low averaged out per year. I think you have all good ideas on buying something from Crown. Last I knew they had 5 year warranties on them. I don't know if they still do. Good Luck and let us know what you decide and how it works. We all live vicariously here on ASR. :D

The XLS are a bit different lineup, and definitely not heavy. My 2502 weighs 16 lbs. The warranty is 3 years (but covers subsequent purchasers, not just the original purchaser), but I've had no issues with my several XLS1500s, 10 years old+

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Chrispy, the amps I am talking about are class A/B ball busters. They will pump out massive power for years. But, they are heavy. The Class D units are lighter and easier to handle. They just don't go as high as the class A/B amps, unless you buy two of the big 2502s and run them bridged. I just can't handle a 45 pound amp anymore even though the power level is a dream! Old age makes lifting 45 pounds a serious chore and maybe even a visit to the doctor! To be young again.......

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW the 1002 doesn't quite share all the same specs as the models above it (different snr), altho not likely to make a difference for your use.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Chrispy, the amps I am talking about are class A/B ball busters. They will pump out massive power for years. But, they are heavy. The Class D units are lighter and easier to handle. They just don't go as high as the class A/B amps, unless you buy two of the big 2502s and run them bridged. I just can't handle a 45 pound amp anymore even though the power level is a dream! Old age makes lifting 45 pounds a serious chore and maybe even a visit to the doctor! To be young again.......

Yep, familiar with those, too. Don't remember if they run as quiet as the XLS, tho. 45 lbs isn't too bad, tho and am familiar with the old age thing....been replacing a bunch of boards on my rear deck and am reminded of my age each time I straighten up....

Bindou

Hi. I don't think I've found anything better than this amp to power two enclosed subwoofers for a reasonable price. However, how do you make it go to sleep automatically when it no longer receives a signal? (When the HC amp to which it is connected no longer sends a signal)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi. I don't think I've found anything better than this amp to power two enclosed subwoofers for a reasonable price. However, how do you make it go to sleep automatically when it no longer receives a signal? (When the HC amp to which it is connected no longer sends a signal)
I use smart power strips to turn off my XLS amps when my avrs go off. If you have a trigger on your main amp there is a trigger of sorts on the gen 2 XLS (but not a typical trigger cable, but plans for the one you need are here if interested https://duckduckgo.com/?q=building+trigger+cable+for+xls+amp&t=newext&atb=v311-1&ia=web.

Bindou

I use smart power strips to turn off my XLS amps when my avrs go off. If you have a trigger on your main amp there is a trigger of sorts on the gen 2 XLS (but not a typical trigger cable, but plans for the one you need are here if interested https://duckduckgo.com/?q=building+trigger+cable+for+xls+amp&t=newext&atb=v311-1&ia=web.
Thank you very much for this lead. I'm going to continue looking for an amp that doesn't require this type of hack. But if it does, it's good to know it's possible with the Crown. THANKS.

Top Bottom