• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

Frank207be

I use smart power strips to turn off my XLS amps when my avrs go off. If you have a trigger on your main amp there is a trigger of sorts on the gen 2 XLS (but not a typical trigger cable, but plans for the one you need are here if interested https://duckduckgo.com/?q=building+trigger+cable+for+xls+amp&t=newext&atb=v311-1&ia=web.
I had this cable on my XLS but I didn´t like the blue flashing standby lights. Now I just keep the amps on most of the day as their idle power consumption is really low. When we go to bed we usually turn the whole array off in one go.

jim80z

.......... Good Luck and let us know what you decide and how it works. We all live vicariously here on ASR. :D

I purchased a XLS 2502, received it and already racked it. Making the changes to the subs today and will wire everything up. Will re-run the miniDSP/REW sub balancing this weekend then DIRAC the system.....let you know how it goes once I test it out.

Depending on where you are (what country) - purchasing a used XLS can provide great bargains - I picked up my XLS2500 for US$250 ... it was a couple of years old at the time, and has since been used for 10 years+
Look especially in pro / band environments rather than audiophile ones!

Thx for the suggestion. Im in Australia and I decided to get a new one where warranty is 3 years and basically paid $300 more than for a used 2502.

Chrispy, the amps I am talking about are class A/B ball busters. They will pump out massive power for years. But, they are heavy. The Class D units are lighter and easier to handle. They just don't go as high as the class A/B amps, unless you buy two of the big 2502s and run them bridged. I just can't handle a 45 pound amp anymore even though the power level is a dream! Old age makes lifting 45 pounds a serious chore and maybe even a visit to the doctor! To be young again.......

I chose the XLS for physical/mechanical elements eg weight, quiet running etc as well as power and f response.

I use smart power strips to turn off my XLS amps when my avrs go off. If you have a trigger on your main amp there is a trigger of sorts on the gen 2 XLS (but not a typical trigger cable, but plans for the one you need are here if interested https://duckduckgo.com/?q=building+trigger+cable+for+xls+amp&t=newext&atb=v311-1&ia=web.

Im building this cable today to trigger the XLS amp from the processor. Hopefully there is enough juice in the trigger cct of the processor to activate the XLS together with the other gear......will soon find out.

Last edited:

jim80z

I purchased a XLS 2502, received it and already racked it. Making the changes to the subs today and will wire everything up. Will re-run the miniDSP/REW sub balancing this weekend then DIRAC the system.....let you know how it goes once I test it out.

OK interesting ride....some points from the exercise...
  • Cracked open the two Magnat THX300 subs and removed the power board (left the logic board in place as it has all the knobs and switches so from the outside it looks like very little has changed). I put the screws back into the plate to keep things sealed except for two holes mid plate where I drilled them out and installed some speaker binding posts to connect directly to the woofer.
  • Then came matching the gain on all of the amps with REW & miniDSP at a single location. For simplicity I used a 50Hz tone
    • Started with the two REL 1508s. To get to ~75db (miniDSP 0db gain on input and output) adjusted the rear gain knob to 12o'clock (50%)....painless
    • Then the Magnats. To match output to the RELs:
      • the gain knobs on the XLS2502 set to 3'oclock (~80%)
      • the input sensitivity of the XLS set to the higher setting of 0.7v (even though Im using balanced connection from the miniDSP to the XLS)
      • the output gain of the two Magnat channels on the miniDSP had to be set to maximum ie +12db
    • This being done I moved the four subs to their final locations
  • Then I performed the REW sweeps to get all the delays mapped and deployed to the miniDSP.....the resultant curve is great
  • I didn't have time to redo DIRAC so just reactivated the previous DIREAC mapping for now
  • Cranked up the processor sub level a couple of db (suits my taste) and the results are great
The two channel indicators on the XLS2502 are nowhere near clipping and the XLS2502 is easily driving the two subs. The resulting performance of the Magnats are as bI remember them before their plate amps have died.....ie nice tight clean controlled bass. The only oddity is what I had to do to get the input at a level to drive the crown/Magnats.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK interesting ride....some points from the exercise...
  • Cracked open the two Magnat THX300 subs and removed the power board (left the logic board in place as it has all the knobs and switches so from the outside it looks like very little has changed). I put the screws back into the plate to keep things sealed except for two holes mid plate where I drilled them out and installed some speaker binding posts to connect directly to the woofer.
  • Then came matching the gain on all of the amps with REW & miniDSP at a single location. For simplicity I used a 50Hz tone
    • Started with the two REL 1508s. To get to ~75db (miniDSP 0db gain on input and output) adjusted the rear gain knob to 12o'clock (50%)....painless
    • Then the Magnats. To match output to the RELs:
      • the gain knobs on the XLS2502 set to 3'oclock (~80%)
      • the input sensitivity of the XLS set to the higher setting of 0.7v (even though Im using balanced connection from the miniDSP to the XLS)
      • the output gain of the two Magnat channels on the miniDSP had to be set to maximum ie +12db
    • This being done I moved the four subs to their final locations
  • Then I performed the REW sweeps to get all the delays mapped and deployed to the miniDSP.....the resultant curve is great
  • I didn't have time to redo DIRAC so just reactivated the previous DIREAC mapping for now
  • Cranked up the processor sub level a couple of db (suits my taste) and the results are great
The two channel indicators on the XLS2502 are nowhere near clipping and the XLS2502 is easily driving the two subs. The resulting performance of the Magnats are as bI remember them before their plate amps have died.....ie nice tight clean controlled bass. The only oddity is what I had to do to get the input at a level to drive the crown/Magnats.
Which minidsp? Some have low voltage output (and some can be adjusted).

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Well, it sounds like you are very happy with your set up. The only issue I see and it isn't really an issue is that the crown gain knob should be at 100%. The gain knobs on these amps are for limiting the volume for commercial setups where they have a lot going on. You would have the crown at 100% and control the volume elsewhere in your setup. BUT, if you like it as is, you can leave it. Thanks for the update on the set up. It is like I did it and I didn't have to spend a penny! Living vicariously through others, the ASR way!:D

jim80z

Well, it sounds like you are very happy with your set up. The only issue I see and it isn't really an issue is that the crown gain knob should be at 100%. The gain knobs on these amps are for limiting the volume for commercial setups where they have a lot going on. You would have the crown at 100% and control the volume elsewhere in your setup. BUT, if you like it as is, you can leave it. Thanks for the update on the set up. It is like I did it and I didn't have to spend a penny! Living vicariously through others, the ASR way!:D
Hey the outcome is perfect even if the setup is a little weird.
Interesting point re putting the volume up all the way on the Crown. I may redo the gain match with the Crown gain at 90%-95% (I dont like leaving anything anywhere at 100%) and drop the miniDSP outputs from max to bring it into line. That way it evens things out in the device chain a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions/help.

Does indicate max output voltage is 2V....but didn't dig to see if there's a setting between 1V and 2V like some....
Yes its a 2v output and I cant see anything re adjustment of the miniDSP outputs. I may send miniDSP a Q re this and see what they say.

Thx All

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey the outcome is perfect even if the setup is a little weird.
Interesting point re putting the volume up all the way on the Crown. I may redo the gain match with the Crown gain at 90%-95% (I dont like leaving anything anywhere at 100%) and drop the miniDSP outputs from max to bring it into line. That way it evens things out in the device chain a bit. Thanks for all the suggestions/help.

Yes its a 2v output and I cant see anything re adjustment of the miniDSP outputs. I may send miniDSP a Q re this and see what they say.

Thx All

Depends on your pre-out level whether you want the gain on the Crown at full or not....generally if you can get away with less than full gain, if your input signal is strong enough, then you can reduce noise a bit perhaps by not running full gain (less important for a sub, tho).

Frank207be

In my set all gain controls on my Crown XLS are under halfway. Audyssey MultEQ-X on my Denon AVC-A1H requires the subs levels to be around 75dB before calibration. After calibration all subs get a slight boost for better impact though.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In my set all gain controls on my Crown XLS are under halfway. Audyssey MultEQ-X on my Denon AVC-A1H requires the subs levels to be around 75dB before calibration. After calibration all subs get a slight boost for better impact though.
You have gen 1 or 2 XLS? If gen 2, what sensitivity setting?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There is some history of users complaining of hiss with the XLS series... particularly with high sensitivity speakers - in almost all cases, this was resolved simply by turning down the gain slightly - I keep the gain on mine down at 75%.

As long as your pre- can put out the V to push the XLS to its rated output, the gain adjustment should be placed to optimise signal/noise and distortion...

So where the gain setting is optimal will depend on your particular pre-amp / AVR, and its behaviour.

If your pre, provides the best results when pumping out high V, then the gain should be lower, if your pre is best when pumping out low V, you will need the gain higher....

It isn't a one size fits all question/answer.

Frank207be

You have gen 1 or 2 XLS? If gen 2, what sensitivity setting?
Sorry for missing this but it's gen2 with the normal 1.4V setting.

Attached a photo of the XLS2502 in stereo together with 3x XLS1002 bridged mono. They feed the 4 subs in my HT/stereo set.

2023-11-26-Crown-XLS.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for missing this but it's gen2 with the normal 1.4V setting.

Attached a photo of the XLS2502 in stereo together with 3x XLS1002 bridged mono. They feed the 4 subs in my HT/stereo set.

2023-11-26-Crown-XLS.jpg
How do four subs work with three bridged amps?

Frank207be

How do four subs work with three bridged amps?
It's all three XLS1002 and XLS2502 that power my HT subs.

From bottom to top:
  1. XLS2502 in Y-mode for 4x 15" front subs.
  2. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 2x 21" rear center subs.
  3. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 1x 21" rear right sub.
  4. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 1x 21" rear left sub.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's all three XLS1002 and XLS2502 that power my HT subs.

From bottom to top:
  1. XLS2502 in Y-mode for 4x 15" front subs.
  2. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 2x 21" rear center subs.
  3. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 1x 21" rear right sub.
  4. XLS1002 in bridged mode for 1x 21" rear left sub.
Impedance/wiring would be more interesting than diameter....

Last edited:

Frank207be

Impedance/wiring would be more interesting than diameter....
Diameter is fun ;)

They're all 8 Ohm woofers so nothing spectacular here.
XLS2502 2+2 woofers parallel on both channels so 4 Ohm.
XLS1002 2 woofers parallel on bridged channel also 4 Ohm.
Both other XLS1002 have 1 woofer in bridge mode so they have an 8 Ohm load.

Reason for this wiring is the ability to do Dirac room correction on all four individual subs

Jonas_h

@amirm Is there a graph where you show THD as a function of power with frequency slices as legends for the XLS2502? The much more expensive Crown DCi showed poor results here - I'm curious to how the XLS performs in that regard.

Top Bottom