• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Crown XLS2502 Stereo Amplifier Review

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would certainly be great to incorporate the turntable into the power amplifier chain using the pre-amp as you say.

Question: regardless of pre-amp brand/model, how would one hook up the pre-amp to the Crown? Thanks.
Just use a normal interconnect (balanced or RCA, depending on what your preamp has) to the normal input on the Crown. Balanced is preferable to help avoid any grounding issues. Then any other source you have goes into the preamp.

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 11.51.02 AM.png

Ps: Feel free to "Like" my posts if you do, indeed, like them. :cool:

Amko

And another question. How to upgrade the firmware for the Crown XLS 2502? I was unable to find these directions in the operation manual. Any help? Thanks.

Amko

Just use a normal interconnect (balanced or RCA, depending on what your preamp has) to the normal input on the Crown. Balanced is preferable to help avoid any grounding issues. Then any other source you have goes into the preamp.

View attachment 242228

Ps: Feel free to "Like" my posts if you do, indeed, like them. :cool:
Ha! Yes indeedy, me like!

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Amko. don't forget you can call Crown customer service too for questions. They can probably get you hooked up on a firmware upgrade. Good Luck, you have a nice amp!

Amko

Spkrdctr, emailed 'em twice. No dice. Am halfway round the world from you. Given this, thought to ask...

Thanks for the compliment. It is. I would put it up against any high-dollar mid-fi or entry-level amp. I'm learning to like it for its neutrality. My first Class D amp. It is efficient and that is beginning to reflect in my electricity bill.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Spkrdctr, emailed 'em twice. No dice. Am halfway round the world from you. Given this, thought to ask...

Thanks for the compliment. It is. I would put it up against any high-dollar mid-fi or entry-level amp. I'm learning to like it for its neutrality. My first Class D amp. It is efficient and that is beginning to reflect in my electricity bill.
Sorry about not having easy access to Crown. Do you know if they have a firmware update? If there isn't one they might just read the e-mail and move onto other mails. If you know there is one, I can contact Crown and find out what is going on and how to do it for you.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had XLS amps for quite a while....never heard of a firmware update. Let alone how it could be connected....

Amko

Spkrdctr, no idea really - just thought I would check in with Crown if mine had the latest firmware. Several amps I've had, including a Yamaha I currently use, have had firmware updates downloaded and installed over Wi-Fi, no trouble.

Thanks for offering to contact Crown. Do let me know. As Chrispy inferred, perhaps we should find out to be sure!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Spkrdctr, no idea really - just thought I would check in with Crown if mine had the latest firmware. Several amps I've had, including a Yamaha I currently use, have had firmware updates downloaded and installed over Wi-Fi, no trouble.

Thanks for offering to contact Crown. Do let me know. As Chrispy inferred, perhaps we should find out to be sure!
I was more inferring you're chasing something that doesn't exist :) Nothing in the manual about firmware at all, not even a version, there's no internet/usb connectivity to install such with, but heck maybe my gen 1s can get the changes made for gen 2.... :)

Amko

Just emailed Tech Support at Crown again asking about the firmware upgrade if any. Will keep you posted.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I was more inferring you're chasing something that doesn't exist :) Nothing in the manual about firmware at all, not even a version, there's no internet/usb connectivity to install such with, but heck maybe my gen 1s can get the changes made for gen 2.... :)
I don't think it exists, but we will see.

Amko

Crown have spoken!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
Date: Mon, Nov 14, 2022, 19:56
Subject: RE: Product Question
To: <[email protected]>

Amko,

Thanks for contacting Harman Pro Tech Support.

The XLS 2 Series does not have firmware that can be user updated unfortunately.

If you believe you are having DSP setting or menu operation issues with your XLS 2 Series amplifier, I would recommend performing a factory reset. This procedure is outlined in the user manual below on page 11:

https://www.crownaudio.com/en-US/pr...0615-pdf-188f6caf-1d35-476c-85d1-14e7374821fd

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thanks,

DUSTIN BEASLEY
Technical Support Engineer
Harman Professional Solutions

3000 Research Drive
Richardson, TX 75082
United States
Phone: +1 844-776-4899 Option 3
Email: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.harman.com

Harman_Logo

We truly appreciate your business.
Please feel free to browse our Anytime Help Center at help.harmanpro.com for articles and FAQs.
If you can spare a moment, please take our express survey to let us know how we’re doing.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: Fri Nov 11 2022 03:37:04 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)
To: <Harman Pro Technical Support USA>
Subject: Product Question

[EXTERNAL EMAIL]
The following was received via the Crown website:
Name:
Email:
[email protected]
Phone:
Product: XLS 2502
Serial: NA

Address​

Message/Details/More Info, etc...

Hello, How do I upgrade the firmware on the Crown XLS 2502 ampifier? Thanks, Amko

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I’m curious as to why the consensus on this site, anecdotally speaking, seems to be that high powered amps are important enough to merit the extra cost? Unless you have a big room, or very inefficient speakers, most people shouldn’t need more than 60wpc. That is enough to drive your average speaker to unpleasantly loud volumes that are dangerous to your ears for sustained listening.

Most modern music has limited dynamic range, and simply does not generate large peaks in volume anyway, negating the need for high headroom amplification.

Most "pop" (considered very broadly) recordings are engineered to “sound loud” at low volumes, and the crazy amount of processing involved in this often introduces distortions which are unpleasant at loud volumes. It also results in a dynamically compressed signal which will stress your ears that much more at high levels. (Because you are subjecting yourself to more total sound energy on average).

If you really are a fan of orchestral music recorded with minimal dynamic compression, and you want to listen at near concert levels, then perhaps you need a lot of power, if your listening room is big enough to allow for a sizable distance to speakers (over 15 ft). This represents a vanishingly small audience. Most "classical" music recordings are compressed anyway, though not as much as a typical pop production.

A lot of people think "dynamic range" is a good thing in music, but in most cases it simply has to be controlled to make effective recordings for the "real world." Only the very best audio systems can come close to reproducing the full dynamic range of an orchestra.

There is a paradoxical aspect to dynamic range compression, which is that it usually makes things sound "louder" relative to anything else (like background noise). So compression can make things actually feel more "dynamic". There are a couple of aspects to this, but functionally it pulls quiet passages into a more audible range, and allows us to hear the dynamics of sections of music which might fall to low into the ambient noise.

The other factor which allows dynamically compressed recordings to deliver an experience that still feels dynamic, is that our ears are not that sensitive to dynamic level changes, but are very sensitive to timbre changes. Timbre communicates the bulk of the perceptual qualities of dynamic passages. Compression allows for more perception of timbre overall.

As an example of this overall issue, anyone that likes to watch TV with a decent playback system has probably noticed an annoying experience where within a program, or between programs, there are significant level changes.

Say a car chase scene comes on, with pounding music. If you had the level loud enough to where the dialog was clear, these passages of louder music, which are themselves heavily compressed (relatively speaking) will "wear your ears out" quickly, and you will find yourself reaching for the volume knob too much. Some AVRs are attempting to address this by building dynamic compression into the amp itself! (There are a lot of different types of compression.)

When it comes to useful standards, what I think we need are carefully constructed standards based on reproducible, double blinded, audibility testing. (Probably ABX is the most practical.) With a set of a standard tracks and speakers. New speakers and test tracks could be introduced over time, using the same testing methodology, and the results interpolated into the existing reference data. Testing for sound for video should be included as well.

Amps tested under this method could then be tested on the bench, and the results correlated with the listening tests. Listening testing is terribly hard and expensive, but my guess would be it would be well correlated with bench tests, allowing for practical testing of a wide range of products.

This is the basis of the speaker testing Floyd Toole and colleagues did. Without this careful listening tests, the results are not as useful. Once some baselines of audible performance have been established, it would free consumers to focus on more practical questions related to reliability, features, aesthetics, and of course, price.
Effortless reserve.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Effortless reserve.
In the words of famous British car manufacturers, from the days when they were not obligated to provide actual power specs for their engines:

Rolls Royce: "Sufficient power under any conditions"
Aston Martin: "More than sufficient power under any conditions"

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
OMG, Seeing that logo makes me sick to my stomach. :mad: :facepalm:
and it takes years to see the results of such an "absorption"

Lexicon was a major player for some years after Harman took it over.... now there really is nothing left.

We have yet to see what samsung is really going to do with the collection of badges & the corporate brain trust of Harman

Frank207be

Hello,

In terms of driving heavy subwoofers,
Any recent comment and comparison between xls, ncore, Yamaha px series ?

Thanks Greg
I have one XLS2502 bridged on dual 21" sealed subs for home cinema and it provides excellent power and control while the fans are silent most of the times. I've not driven the amp to it's limits yet but that would be insane in our living room anyway.
I also have another XLS2502 in normal operation on 4x 15" sealed subs and that combo sounds very nice too.
Previously I tried Hypex NC400 mono's which were not up to the task of controlling those dual 21" woofers at higher SPL and lower frequencies. They were making popping sounds indicating that they were running out of juice. Most probably the 500W and above Ncores will be more suitable for driving heavy subwoofers?

Top Bottom