• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cone Tweeters

Goodman

Are cone tweeters completely useless now, I only see dome, ribbons or horns tweeters on modern speakers. It looks like only theJBL L100 Century uses cones. Any other high end speakers using cones?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Are cone tweeters completely useless now, I only see dome, ribbons or horns tweeters on modern speakers. It looks like only theJBL L100 Century uses cones. Any other high end speakers using cones?
See? Buy eyeglasses

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Focal still uses concave tweeters (instead of dome/ribbon/horn).

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't pay too much attention to these "design decisions". Most of these thing are compromises and it's the performance that counts! (I usually do take notice of woofer size.)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Mark Audio Viotti, for another.

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Some older cars come with cone mid-high range on the dash pointing at windshield, with no tweeter. Bose in Infiniti FX is a recent example, 2.75-inch cone iirc, they call it Twiddler. Wonder if this configuration improves dispersion at high frequency.

knotscott

Most cone tweeters are the cheaper paper types (like those found in portables, TVs, PC speakers). I've heard plenty of decent paper woofers, but can't recall hearing a good paper cone tweeter in a modern speaker.

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal still uses concave tweeters (instead of dome/ribbon/horn).

Yeah... but they're not really cones, per se. They're just domes flipped inverted.

They fell out of favor because the other options are better.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah... but they're not really cones, per se. They're just domes flipped inverted.

They fell out of favor because the other options are better.

Oh, you mean like a whizzer tweeter?

Lii Audio and Fostex still do some full range drivers with whizzer tweeters. The flagship would be https://voxativ.berlin/

These beam considerably (look at the Canon S-50 review here).

Chazz6

Yup. From the Focal Aria 906 user manual: 1" (25mm) Al/Mg TNF inverted dome tweeter.
Aluminum/Magnesium alloy inverted dome TNF Tweeter : the tweeter developed for the Aria 900 range uses Focal exclusive inverted dome technology, for optimal energy transfer and limited directivity. The dome's Aluminum/Magnesium alloy guarantees outstanding stiffness and damping. The mechanical properties of the new suspension system using Poron, an open cell polyrethane microcellular foam, provide numerous benefits: excellent dimensional stability and no degradation over time. ... The tweeter mounting has an integral waveguide which maximises horizontal directivity and minimises diffraction.

0bs3rv3r

Yup. From the Focal Aria 906 user manual: 1" (25mm) Al/Mg TNF inverted dome tweeter.
Aluminum/Magnesium alloy inverted dome TNF Tweeter : the tweeter developed for the Aria 900 range uses Focal exclusive inverted dome technology, for optimal energy transfer and limited directivity. The dome's Aluminum/Magnesium alloy guarantees outstanding stiffness and damping. The mechanical properties of the new suspension system using Poron, an open cell polyrethane microcellular foam, provide numerous benefits: excellent dimensional stability and no degradation over time. ... The tweeter mounting has an integral waveguide which maximises horizontal directivity and minimises diffraction.

Yeas, I have the Audioms and they sound fantastic

1633913765285.png

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cone tweeters can be rather good such as the discontiued Peerless CT62. I have a few of these as spares for my DIY monitors.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great tweeter CT62 with only one caveat. When ferro-fluid thickens up with time, it can not be removed or replaced.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There are several reasons why cone tweeters are not seen very much anymore:
0. back in the day, cones were all they had. Once they came up with the technology to create fabric or rigid metal domes, they basically started to dominate the markets. This is due to the following reasons (among others probably):
1. usually cones are larger than about 1", which means they will start beaming earlier than a dome. So off-axis, domes are usually better behaved.
2. a dome is usually more pistonic in nature at high frequencies. It has fewer deformation modes than a floppy cone. This means that a cone generates HF mostly by resonances, where a cone relies more on nice pistonic movement to generate the same frequencies.
3. Due to the above, I'm guessing making a cone driver act as a good tweeter is much harder to design well than a dome.

None of this means there aren't any good cone tweeters. They are just a lot rarer. These things are gaining more attention though, mostly because they usually are also usable as midranges. So things like Bluetooth speakers and soundbars tend to use them. One nice modern example of a good cone tweeter (well actually it's almost a full-range driver) is the SB Acoustics SB65-WVAC25-4. It has a smooth response from 150 Hz to 20 kHz, and the off-axis isn't too bad either. Distortion is also very low for such a small driver.

Last edited:

0bs3rv3r

I have a memory of the old cone tweeters being a bit more rugged than the first little plastic dome speakers (whiched looked like a little plastic dynamic microphone diaphragm inside). They used to burn out when stressed at parties :) whereas cone tweeters didn't. Of course, one could always use horns, they've been around all along.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great tweeter CT62 with only one caveat. When ferro-fluid thickens up with time, it can not be removed or replaced.

Hm, but is ferro-fluid user-replaceable in other tweeters?

Lopsided

Forum Donor
Hm, but is ferro-fluid user-replaceable in other tweeters?
Seems dome, VC and faceplate is an assembly that can be lift off, ferrofluid can be wiped out of the gap using sticky tapes, and re-added. Maybe for cones this can only be done when re-coning

Attachments

• 5E6C20DF-E26F-417C-A233-FB6879B5218A.jpeg
    5E6C20DF-E26F-417C-A233-FB6879B5218A.jpeg
    298 KB · Views: 101
Top Bottom