• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Leak Sandwich 150 and 250 speakers

Penelinfi

1708807905422.png

Aluminium skin with stiff foam backing for woofer and midrange, like the original. But they use a slightly larger than normal dome tweeter instead of the full range unit. Sandwich construction supposedly fixes all problems like cone breakup, IMD, and gives great transient response.
Manufacturer measurement of a no doubt carefully chosen listening axis for the 250.
Would be interesting to see how it performs off axis

1708807843678.png

EAXAE

They are looking as they were designed twenty years ago. Wharferdale Linton, for example, is a similar concept, yet looks quite fresh, not dated.

11" woofer is good news though.

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

They are looking as they were designed twenty years ago. Wharferdale Linton, for example, is a similar concept, yet looks quite fresh, not dated.

11" woofer is good news though.
That's the point I think. To mimic the original Leak sandwich speakers but using more modern technology. Would have been nice to have the inverted surround however

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now these with the stereo 230 and CDT are actually quite interesting. I really liked the aesthetic of the 230 and CDT, but alas the Linton's for me just didn't really match visually so much. I hope these measure well, if they do this could possibly sway me from going the monitor route.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I rather like the late 1960s/1970s aesthetic as exemplified by the Leak Sandwich, various KEF, various Wharfedale, various Goodmans etc etc. i.e a rectangular box with a fabric grille (which is kept on!).

They're loudspeakers that look like what they are, a wooden box.

I don't know how good these new Leaks are, but the graph above is pretty decent , a lot better than the originals would have been.

If I was in the market for stand-mounts, I would certainly consider these from a looks perspective.

Pity this Leak company has nothing to do with Leak...

S.

Robovox

Forum Donor
On static display at the Bristol show this weekend:

IMG_1306.jpeg

My parents had the sandwich 200s (IIRC) as I grew up in the 80s. Never saw them with the grilles off - they didn’t come off easily for sure and judging by pictures of other examples on eBay they were pretty unsightly without the grilles anyway.

They were eventually replaced with some Rogers ls8as and in turn KEF R700s - each time a substantial up grade. Is there is anything behind the overall design beyond nostalgia?

OP
Penelinfi

Penelinfi

On static display at the Bristol show this weekend:
[8]
My parents had the sandwich 200s (IIRC) as I grew up in the 80s. Never saw them with the grilles off - they didn’t come off easily for sure and judging by pictures of other examples on eBay they were pretty unsightly without the grilles anyway.

They were eventually replaced with some Rogers ls8as and in turn KEF R700s - each time a substantial up grade. Is there is anything behind the overall design beyond nostalgia?
They use the sandwich cones and also a multi layer cabinet, and the rear bolt bracing. Otherwise I guess it's just another modern vintage speaker. How good remains to be seen

Ze Frog

Anyone found a review where someone has actually listened to these? So far all I can find is people quoting the marketing blurb etc.

Which funnily enough could actually be the issue with the new Leak stuff, doesn't really get reviewed very much. Take the Leak Stereo 230 for instance, really not much in the way of reviews and that's been out a while now. Funnily enough, the fact the usual industry shills have largely left Leak products alone kind of makes me gravitate to it more, lol.

DSJR

Major Contributor
they really kept up with the tradition of making the ugliest speakers on the market

View attachment 352337

THE mid level system then in the early 70's - (Goldring) Lenco 75 deck with Shure M55E, Leak Stereo or Delta 70 amp and the above Sandwich 300 speakers which looked FAR more mpodern with the silvery? grilles on!

Back then, people our side of Europe simply *didn't* leave the grilles off. Far eastern markets and 'audiophiles' in general obviously thought and think differently about that :D

Ze Frog

Yeah, I've always preferred grills on myself. Not many speakers that look genuinely nice with the grills off in my mind, maybe Klipsch with the copper woofers, that kind of thing, even then, it's a bit chintzy really.

Ze Frog

Another point regarding these, I hope they don't sag over time. I had the 300(?) I think way back when with the 12 inch, possibly 15 even, but not long after I got them they sagged and had to do the old tape or ribbon trick to slightly adjust for that. Should imagine this isn't going to be an issue with these modern versions, and in all fairness the ones I had was back in late 90's, so were already rather old.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Another point regarding these, I hope they don't sag over time. I had the 300(?) I think way back when with the 12 inch, possibly 15 even, but not long after I got them they sagged and had to do the old tape or ribbon trick to slightly adjust for that. Should imagine this isn't going to be an issue with these modern versions, and in all fairness the ones I had was back in late 90's, so were already rather old.
Owners of vintage Spendors are well versed in the art of sagging drivers (oo missus). Cure there is to remove them and rotate by 180 degrees before replacing every few years ;)

YSC

Major Contributor
I personally welcome vintage looks of their performance can be up to modern standard, as long as objectively performance is great having a choic of modern industrial, minimalistic and vintage to choose from is a dream come true

Putter

Forum Donor
They appear to use left and speakers which may hurt dispersion and may help imaging. The price tag of 2200 pounds puts it in very competitive market.

Top Bottom