• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What is generally the best material for speaker cones with the least compromise and most benefits?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know every cone material has their pro's and con's.

Outside of cost, what materials is the overall best material for cone?

Paper pulp?
Kevlar or other forms of aramid?
Carbon Fiber?
Poly?
Aluminum?
Beryllium?
Titanium?
Organic materials?
Proprietary blend?

EDIT: I'm only talking in the world of compression speakers.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no best material. All materials can make drivers of the highest quality.

Compression drivers are typically plastic (mylar) or metal (titanium, aluminum, BE).

Direct radiating tweeters can be made out of textiles, ceramic, and metals.

Woofers can be made out almost anything besides fabrics - metals, plastics and paper composites.

Planar mid and high frequency elements are generally coated plastic films.

If I were selecting drivers for the highest quality sound reproduction, I would not be looking at specific materials.

Honestly, material impacts weather resistance, ease of prototyping and simulation, cost of production, more than it limits sound quality.

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
There is no single right answer to this as the cone is only part of the greater system and its usage will be a more significant determining factor.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Magnesium, because that's what my mids have. Next question :D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You left out ceramic-based cones like some woo-woo mids have.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Paper pulp?
Carbon Fiber?
Poly?
Aluminum?
Beryllium?
Titanium?
Organic materials?
Proprietary blend?

You mean compression drivers? Wait...paper diaphragms? That's... different.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See if you can ask santa for the graphene w18s

Altec? Any experience with the Great Plains stuff by any chance?
Yes, a heavily modified 511. I have no direct experience with GPA. The drivers are TAD TD-2002. MHardy might, though.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
See if you can ask santa for the graphene w18s
The magnesium have a more pistonic polar pattern, which I wanted.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What come material you would NOT buy/want? And why?
For a woofer literally any of the commonly used materials can create results of the highest quality. If you're doing DIY paper and poly tend to be a bit easier to work with, but not because they have better or worse sound quality.

Material looks important and it impacts design but it isn't what you should be looking at when you evaluate drivers.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The magnesium have a more pistonic polar pattern, which I wanted.
Yes but the slightly darker gray communicates sophistication and opulence.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but the slightly darker gray communicates sophistication and opulence.
Hmmm. I HAVE been wanting sophistication and opulence!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Paper pulp?
Carbon Fiber?
Poly?
Aluminum?
Beryllium?
Titanium?
Organic materials?
Proprietary blend?

I'll comment that I don't like titanium for horn diaphragms. JBL worked out a way to damp most of the nastiness with aquaplas, but I've never heard those.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
What come material you would NOT buy/want? And why?
Ummm...

Paper for an outdoor Speaker? ;)

As has been said, the factors determining choice of Driver only come down to material options in certain situations where a manufacturer may offer one motor structure with 2 or 3 different cone materials. Usually where this may happen you will be able to see the result in a sample FR graph. Differences may be in how well the cone performs at lower frequencies vs where the Cone Break Up occurs and how significant the Break Up is.

The best description I can think of is in Subwoofers, for example, where a Paper Cone can be fine, however if it is too lightweight (low Mms) it will not perform as well at lower frequencies as one may want, but the tradeoff becomes how the Cone will behave at higher frequencies... Something stiffer and potentially heavier will do far better down low, but not deliver up high as well.
In a situation like this, you have to weigh the pros and cons of Motor design and strength against cone material and how you will use the finished design in your system. If you have a Speaker that rolls off at 100Hz, say, and you want to pair it with a 18" Harbottle Driver with a High Mms that wants to be done at about 70Hz, you are making a bad design choice. This doesn't even take into consideration what material may be used because the material isn't important here! ;)
In this example, you would be better off choosing a Driver that can perform well at higher frequencies to pair properly with the "proposed" existing Speaker rolling off at 100Hz. The tradeoff may be in LF performance for the Driver, or getting a 21" instead of an 18" as his 21" Drivers perform at a higher frequency than the 18s.
This doesn't imply that one driver is better than the other.
It is a matter of usage.

If you want a Tweeter that can perform well at higher frequencies, a Be Dome is stiffer than an Al Dome. Does that mean Be is better than Al? No. But how you are going to use it is the key. In this manner, you could also ask whether a Raal vs a high end AMT is better. Or a 3/4" Dome instead of a 1" or larger Dome.

Consider how many JBL Speakers use their Poly-Plas cones. On one hand you may not like the look or think you won't like the sound, but how many folk rave in general about the performance of some of these Speakers.

Again: It is use-case specific.

Phrased another way, the cone material is like your pants. Denim can be fine, but sometimes you want a light weight twill, and other times you may want leather. You are the same Motor, and the "cone" material will have an impact on how you perform in a manner of speaking. Leathers on a Hot Summer day is like asking a 21" Subwoofer Driver with high MMS to perform up to 200Hz.

Now, let me counter your question:
Are you asking because of true functional performance or because you want a certain aesthetic? :)

Designing a Speaker based on how the Drivers look vs how they perform is a bad way to go about it. :p

Top Bottom