• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

gvl

Major Contributor
Does anyone care to hypothesize about why the Topping DAC was so much worse? Is that due to the massive jitter that the SPDIF receiver just can’t deal with?

Very likely, especially considering high sampling rate. There’s no ESS chip with its jitter fighting gizmos in the D70s

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
For these devices, must use an external linear adapter that costs at least $3,000 or more for a BNC cable (x2) and a similar price. :facepalm:
I hope you are sitting down as the cost of the Nordost TYR 2 coax cables I used for testing is US $1,750 each! So that requirement was more than met.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm apologies if you’ve stated this and I’ve missed it. Did you test this using dual BNC into the Hugo 2 RCAs in any of the tests?
Yes of course. See this graph in the review:

index.php

As you see, it was the "Dual Coax" configuration at 16X upsampling. The input by the way is 3.5mm! Owner kindly provided a special dual BNC to this 3.5 mm connector.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you are sitting down as the cost of the Nordost TYR 2 coax cables I used for testing is US $1,750 each! So that requirement was more than met.
So kind of on the low end for Nordost right? ;)

Would have gotten good results with Nordost Odin 2 Reference. 1.25 meter for $12,999. Remember you will need two of them.

So the cable would cost near 5 times the device tested here. Always put the most money on the most important part. People always try and low ball it and well you see what happens.

/sarc

Last edited:

Geert

Major Contributor
It is core to Rob Watts' marketing talk on these products. Just watch any of his videos.

Before we start the 300dB discussion all over again, check

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Very likely, especially considering high sampling rate.
The problem occurred even when M-scaler was in pass-through mode with sample rate then being 44.1 kHz. See bottom of the screen snapshot for sample rate:

index.php

It is very strange as bypassing M-Scaler completely removed the issue. Maybe its voltage swings are different or something that is causing some problem.

Reactions: gvl

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Before we start the 300dB discussion all over again, check

I mentioned it earlier and maybe Solderdude did too. He is claiming to hear differences in filters that seem to only differ from each other at levels of -300 db. Not saying he can hear at those levels.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He is claiming to hear differences in filters that seem to only differ from each other at levels of -300 db. Not saying he can hear at those levels.
So what’s the difference? He either can hear content down there or he can’t… the rest is just semantics.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So what’s the difference? He either can hear content down there or he can’t… the rest is just semantics.
Well yes, but you need the magic and the mystery. So he has filters he claims (without proper controlled listening I assume) he can hear as different. The only measurable or even theoretical differences are at -300 db. So he isn't claiming to hear that, he is sort of leaving the door open for a God of the gaps argument that something more is involved so his incredible taste in hearing music can hear a difference that we cannot measure. When of course a rational person says, "if the only differences are -300 db, even in theory, and they sound different you either hear -300 db or you aren't hearing what you claim."

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When of course a rational person says, "if the only differences are -300 db, even in theory, and they sound different you either hear -300 db or you aren't hearing what you claim."
That is indeed all we need :) Move along, nothing to see hear…

pma

Major Contributor
"What is this?" Groundloop! "This" and noise floor elevation, both are products of the groundloop.

1657092378677.png

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is, there was really a chance for this device? What's the theoretical benefit of upsampling? Is this just a digital filter for 5k?

Top Bottom