• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
It was paired with Chord DAC, the Hugo 2.
Can you redo full Hugo2 measurements?

You did it long time ago right after getting your AP

I imagine you're testing is better now than then

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's go back to basics and see if the M-scaler is doing what it is supposed to be doing by running our filter test with the D70s:
Chord M-Scalar Upsampler Filter Response Topping D70s.png

It is indeed. Both 2X and 4X modes provide an ultra sharp response. However they do so at the cost of higher noise floor/lower attenuation.
Shouldn’t it be labeled 48kHz?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Interesting that the M Scaler appears to produce jitter. That might make it a worthwhile addition to a test bench :)

Interesting too that the D70 seems really bad at handling that jitter, I thought jitter rejection was what makes a good DAC. Unless I’m misinterpreting the results.

ayane

Forum Donor
300dB? As in 1E15
It's literally impossible to have SPLs higher than 194 dB in air at sea level. Sound is longitudinal, so the rarefaction of those waves can't get lower than vacuum pressure. There will be shockwave distortion.

More importantly, SPLs that high will result in instant death.

Bonus: the noise floor of air is about -24 dB SPL, so even the maximum possible dynamic range doesn't get anywhere close to 300 dB.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't find it takes any time to become familiar with the light scheme on the Mojo2. After a few hours with it I had it figured out, including the graphic equalizer which operates on some combination of the buttons and colors. Really is a simple thing to master. $700 for a dac/amp is a lot, and it didn't perform as well as desktop gear to these ears, but it did drive the DCA Stealth fully without balanced outputs, so there's that.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It's literally impossible to have SPLs higher than 194 dB in air at sea level.

His claim is that he can hear distortion at -300dBfs, or something like that if I remember right.

I'm not surprised it doesn't do anything audible, but I am surprised it isn't a good performer (in a measurements sense), for what it is supposed to be, if that makes sense.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't find it takes any time to become familiar with the light scheme on the Mojo2. After a few hours with it I had it figured out, including the graphic equalizer which operates on some combination of the buttons and colors. Really is a simple thing to master.
Good to read that there is some logic to the controls layout. The premise that I have for detesting the system that CHORD uses is it should not require any learning curve to speak of and it is a cost saving measure that eliminates the usual display and controls that would be associated with a proper and functional system. CHORD is cost scrimping on a high end unit.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His claim is that he can hear distortion at -300dBfs, or something like that if I remember right.
And for reference, the Shoutometer.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not surprised it doesn't do anything audible, but I am surprised it isn't a good performer (in a measurements sense), for what it is supposed to be, if that makes sense.
To be even more fair, I think his claim is to hear differences in filters that only differ at the -300 db level. Or so I recall without going back to listen to his talks. But yeah, he might as well say -1000 db for all the credibility it has.

I do disagree on this device with others. I think it is attractive. A very pretty piece of gear. Too bad it is somewhere between making no difference, and making a difference for the worse.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To be even more fair, I think his claim is to hear differences in filters that only differ at the -300 db level. Or so I recall without going back to listen to his talks. But yeah, he might as well say -1000 db for all the credibility it has.
He really did step into a big cow pie when he made that -300dB level claim. :facepalm:

Top Bottom