• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx Measurement (FW1.1.17 Update)

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
I am referring to HTX itself without replacing other DAC chips in the case of multi-tone problem, whether it will have an impact on listening to music.
Multitone performance is largely affected by almost 4bits. I personally believe there’s a negative effect on sound quality.

howard416

Do you know if Flex Eight is the same way re: multi-tone performance?

zeluxao

Hey everyone. Kind of a newbie here... I'm wanting to build a 2.2 system but would like to have bass management (hpf) and peq capabilities. I could do it with this unit but as i have no need for most of the other features that i don't even know how to use or what they are for i was wondering if there is any other (good) gear i could look into that could provide me with these features. I'd also like balanced outs for speaker amp and unbalanced for subwoofers if that's not too much to ask for. :) Thanks in advance!

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
Hey everyone. Kind of a newbie here... I'm wanting to build a 2.2 system but would like to have bass management (hpf) and peq capabilities. I could do it with this unit but as i have no need for most of the other features that i don't even know how to use or what they are for i was wondering if there is any other (good) gear i could look into that could provide me with these features. I'd also like balanced outs for speaker amp and unbalanced for subwoofers if that's not too much to ask for. :) Thanks in advance!
If you don’t need FIR, this is a perfect fit.

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
I really don't know what FIR is, so i guess not. :D
If I were you, I would spend some time to figure out what that is and figure out what I need to tweak the speaker and room. To me, Htx is more like a digital crossover(ASP). The processing power of the unit is not adequate for high end use, but I pair it with camilladsp.

zeluxao

If I were you, I would spend some time to figure out what that is and figure out what I need to tweak the speaker and room. To me, Htx is more like a digital crossover(ASP). The processing power of the unit is not adequate for high end use, but I pair it with camilladsp.
Hmm. i doubt it would make a difference. Minidsp is complex enough for me. Even if i know and understand what it is, i doubt i will know how to use it properly. It's really not high end use at all. I just want those two features i mentioned before. From what i understand camilladsp only works through usb and has to be used from a pc. Not what i want. Thank you for your reply.

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
From what i understand camilladsp only works through usb and has to be used from a pc.
That’s not true. Camilladsp can take various inputs. For example, if you install cdsp on raspi with spdif hat, it can rake spdif input. There are various discussion about it in this forum.

But you are right, for most people, regular IIR EQ is just fine.

zeluxao

That’s not true. Camilladsp can take various inputs. For example, if you install cdsp on raspi with spdif hat, it can rake spdif input. There are various discussion about it in this forum.

But you are right, for most people, regular IIR EQ is just fine.
I think I'll wait for the wiim ultra. Maybe it's the solution for me. If they keep what they've been doing it'll be easy to use, not too expensive and will have the features i want. I just hope it can do hpf through digital outs as well so i can use it as a digital transport only and use the dac i already own.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
From what i understand camilladsp only works through usb and has to be used from a pc.
Depends how you define 'PC' - pretty much anything that can run linux and has enough processing power will work, and the Pi is a common platform. It'll work with any audio inputs and outputs that are available, which on SBCs often includes I2S and spdif.

adLuke

Is it possible to use the HTx with Linux?
In the software section I only see Windows and Mac.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I assume you're talking about the software for configuration. I haven't heard of anyone using it with Wine. You could do what I did for the Hypex equivalent - run Microsoft's Windows developer image in a VM with USB passthrough.

adLuke

Hello @sarieri
can I ask you to give some guidance on how to set the HTx to minimize the possible audible degradation you mention regarding the multitone issue? (post #41)
Is there a difference if you use the HTx in a stero or surround (7 ch) setup?
I have been thinking about a way to evaluate the signal but I can't find any ways in my simple setup.
Thanks in advance.

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
audible degradation you mention regarding the multitone issue
I mentioned technical degragation. They cannot be heard. Use it normally at -10dB attenuation, there is no multitone issue at -10dB vol level.

adLuke

I mentioned technical degragation. They cannot be heard. Use it normally at -10dB attenuation, there is no multitone issue at -10dB vol level.
Ok sorry, I must have misunderstood your post.
I will set up all channels with 10bp attenuation as per your suggestion.
Thanks very much for your help.

howard416

Meaning, any volume below, or up to, -10 dB on the master volume control on this device, there is no multi-tone issue?

Good news, because I never go above -40 or -30 usually...

OP
S

sarieri

Forum Donor
Meaning, any volume below, or up to, -10 dB on the master volume control on this device, there is no multi-tone issue?

Good news, because I never go above -40 or -30 usually...
Actually, -10dB is just in terms of absolute safety. Per my measurement, the issue is gone at -6dB. Anything <-6dB should be fine.

Top Bottom