• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the audio improvement is there
It's not. That's the confident stance I'm taking for now unless evidence is shown or its outright proven by well controlled test.
I wonder if you realize that a lot of people prefer the sound of vinyl, even though it measures worse.
Do these people prefer it because it sounds better or because of their preexisting conceptions and fetishism towards the medium?

Seriously man, reevaluate your claims, this is Audio Science Review not Audio Trolling Review

Geert

Major Contributor
Ah, it was online. I wouldn't call that the definitive test.

You read the final AES paper, not just the slides, reviewed the methodology and all the stats and reports?

When can we then expect the defenitive test that proofs audibility of higher res audio in practical applications? What would it take? What are they waiting for?

Laphr

All I know is I like the M Scaler. It upscales all my 44.1 CDs to high res. Plus all my streaming. The DAC is getting 768k out of the M Scaler and the audio improvement is there, albeit it may be subtle depending on the recording but I dig it. The M Scaler is akin to the Darbee video upscaler if anyone is familiar with that. It may not actually add resolution, but it sure looks (sounds) like it does.

I don't use it with a Topping DAC though, I use it with the Chord TT2.
Can moderators confirm this person was banned and only because of this message? He says on head-fi that this is what happened.

Geert

Major Contributor
Can moderators confirm this person was banned and only because of this message? He says on head-fi that this is what happened.

I don't know, but I'd think it was rather because of insinuations like this:

He was banned from this forum for just questioning the test methodology. That should tell you something

Did he mention that on head-fi? If not, "that should tell you something".

Laphr

I don't know, but I'd think it was rather because of insinuations like this:

Did he mention that on head-fi? If not, "that should tell you something".
Well, I would like to know, can't ask mediahound because he is not going to tell me what else was there.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not a moderator, but of course that's not the only reason he was banned. Unless someone posts something really hateful, or I suppose really libelous, a single comment doesn't get someone banned. Mediahound's self-serving narrative about why he allegedly got banned is a very common thing that people spin.

Laphr

I'm not a moderator, but of course that's not the only reason he was banned. Unless someone posts something really hateful, or I suppose really libelous, a single comment doesn't get someone banned. Mediahound's self-serving narrative about why he allegedly got banned is a very common thing that people spin.
Strange, mediahound seems to be selling M Scaler as of today.
Jimbob54, I'm not sure tingling is toughness, nor if its being anti-fragile.

Last edited:

Peternz

Of course he knows a lot of people like vinyl. The problem with your analogy, though, is that the M-scaler doesn’t change the sound: the digital audio upscaling produces no audible change, and the unit’s SINAD measurement, while mediocre for a digital source/processor component, does not degrade the signal enough to be audible either.

"It does not degrade the signal enough to be audible." In that case it must be great, worth thousands of $ and worth adding clutter and colored balls to my system. Wait minute....

And good luck to the people who are now trying to sell this thing. They sure need it.

mccririck

You read the final AES paper, not just the slides, reviewed the methodology and all the stats and reports?

When can we then expect the defenitive test that proofs audibility of higher res audio in practical applications? What would it take? What are they waiting for?
We need better test procedures before we can get meaningful results. Simple as that.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange, mediahound seems to be selling M Scaler as of today.
Jimbob54, I'm not sure tingling is thoughness, nor if its being anti-fragile.
People either get banned for idiotic behaviour in their posts (doubtful here) or their account perhaps not being as its portrayed

Geert

Major Contributor
We need better test procedures before we can get meaningful results. Simple as that.

Better test procedures are going to make high res audible? Note this is not the only test, it's one of many which all come to the same conclusion. What's really missing at this point is a convincing test that shows otherwise. Should be simple, no? It's within reach of most audiophiles.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you agree there are zero reasons for more than 96 khz?

I've said before if hirez made substantial improvements it would have been settled long ago. At best it makes tiny differences to few people in limited circumstances. So 96 kHz leaves nothing to be gained.

someguyontheinternet

If I remember correctly, GoldenSound insisted that audible differences existed between measurably transparent gear (I believe it was about DACs, but not sure if my memory is correct). The points that got him banned was that he kept insisting that
1. he had hearing that could distinguish measurably transparent gear from another
2. that he refused to actually do blind tests which would confirm or deny his claims
3. kept insisting and arguing even though the solution to the argument (blind tests) was already proposed (and dismissed by him)

I did read through some of the stuff that lead up to the banning, but was distracted by personal life demanding attention so my recollection should be taken with a grain of salt.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is more cost scrimping on the expense of manufacturing the unit. Between the lack of a proper display and adjustable controls and the lack of onboard power supply it looks unfavorable for CHORD.
More significantly, it avoids the certification process (UL in particular) that is important in avoiding liability. It you want to design and manufacture an item that you might not expect to sell a zillion of, you almost certainly want an external supply. If you'll sell a zillion, might be cheaper to build in the supply. Other reasons of course, such a needing the main unit very small or thin, keeping heat away, etc.

Top Bottom