• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

aj625

Did stereophile something do differently ? Here there is close to 130db attenuation brick wall filter at 2x and this is not even 16x. I thought m scaler is exactly for this filtering. @amirm can you please explain why your test is showing only 80db attenuation ? Can you please repeat all tests with 16x upsampling too ?

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_221211.jpg
    IMG_20220706_221211.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
When I went to a presentation, specifically on the M-Scaler, a Dave was used. Their rep did the before and after and had the remote controls. I definitely heard a difference, the M-Scaler in use supposedly presenting a deeper sound stage over the bypassed setting done via one of th ebuttons on the front. The thing is, I'm certain the mean volume level was different, having vivid memories of trying to compare two things audibly and getting totally confused. In this case, the 'quieter' one sounded better in an audiophile sense. The audience, all 50+ in age and most I'd say 60+ too (so with age degraded hearing I'd suggest), nodded sagely at Rob W's presentation and seemed to enjoy the dem. If we were told the upscaling amount, I can't remember the setting.

aj625

This is from golden sound review

Attachments

• IMG_20220706_225611.jpg
    IMG_20220706_225611.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 149
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did stereophile something do differently ? Here there is close to 130db attenuation brick wall filter at 2x and this is not even 16x. I thought m scaler is exactly for this filtering. @amirm can you please explain why your test is showing only 80db attenuation ? Can you please repeat all tests with 16x upsampling too ?
Yes. It is simple. The reference for the signal itself is -40 dB (due to FFT Gain):

220Chordfig2.jpg

So the difference between in-band and out of band is about 85 dB.

I take care in my measurements to zero the in-band signal level so you don't get subjected to the confusion above:

index.php

I heavily zoomed into the frequency response which shows a stepped attenuation at -79 and -89 dB which is essentially the results JA got.

It is a pet peeve of mine that folks show measurements not referenced to 0 dB causing this kind of confusion. Yes, it takes a bit of extra work to reference to 0 dB but avoids a heap of misunderstanding.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is from golden sound review
That is a test in digital domain and not gone through a DAC as I and JA are showing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adding on to above, when you upsample, the DAC operates at a different sample rate so its performance/noise floor (and impact of FFT gain) changes. Testing just the S/PDIF signal in digital domain doesn't show this real-life aspect.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes. It is simple. The reference for the signal itself is -40 dB (due to FFT Gain):

220Chordfig2.jpg

So the difference between in-band and out of band is about 85 dB.

I take care in my measurements to zero the in-band signal level so you don't get subjected to the confusion above:

index.php

I heavily zoomed into the frequency response which shows a stepped attenuation at -79 and -89 dB which is essentially the results JA got.

It is a pet peeve of mine that folks show measurements not referenced to 0 dB causing this kind of confusion. Yes, it takes a bit of extra work to reference to 0 dB but avoids a heap of misunderstanding.
That same graph appears to show that the brickwall is at 24 kHz, not the expected 22.05. Is that correct?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The files were bypassed and 2x - not 16x or 4x and he didn't try listening with 4x or 16x, which was what I was questioning.
It wasn't what you were questioning. This is what you said:

I've not used a Hugo2. As it allows dual-BNC, why was full upsampling not used for the tests when the option was available to do so? This seems even more odd than I had thought.

You were questioning the entire test including measurements. Your statement was false and shows that you didn't pay attention to the review. I clearly tested all sample rates including 16X using dual Coax:

index.php

That is 176 kHz. Other tests also mentioned the same:

index.php

Your claim doesn't make sense anyway as the company brags about the long tap filter which is active in all upsampling modes. If all but 16X are bogus, then they should say so and they clearly don't.

I also explained in the review why I did not attempt to make a comparison to higher sample rates. I explained that they cause a pause/glitch which invalidates any short-term memory you may have. You are welcome to ignore that and arrive at bogus comparisons but I have to follow the science here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That same graph appears to show that the brickwall is at 24 kHz, not the expected 22.05. Is that correct?
Different sample rates were used. Mine was at 48 khz instead of the usual 44.1 kHz. Label was incorrect in my screenshot.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Has the term ever been used (not just quoted) in ASR?
Which term? Processor? If so, some of the high-end external DACs years back called themselves "processors." This fell out of favor after a while but stereophile has stayed with it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In my experience using bypass was not the same as removing the M-Scaler from the chain, so using bypass might be flawed anyway (I believe bypass might be very slightly louder but I'm going from memory).
Your memory is wrong. Again, this was explained in the review. In all modes M-scaler reduces the volume. If you compare no M-scaler to M-scaler, you get a severe volume mismatch which invalidates any listening test. Your comparison must be bypass vs upsample with M-scaler always in the loop as I did so levels don't change.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I just read the subjective part of that review and JA has slipped down a few more notches in my estimation.

And what's with this quaint term "D/A processor" he still uses when the rest of the planet calls it a DAC?
But the mscaler isn't a dac, it's solely an upsampler, so D/A processor is entirely correct.

Chester

It wasn't what you were questioning. This is what you said:

You were questioning the entire test including measurements. Your statement was false and shows that you didn't pay attention to the review. I clearly tested all sample rates including 16X using dual Coax:

index.php

That is 176 kHz. Other tests also mentioned the same:

index.php

Your claim doesn't make sense anyway as the company brags about the long tap filter which is active in all upsampling modes. If all but 16X are bogus, then they should say so and they clearly don't.

I also explained in the review why I did not attempt to make a comparison to higher sample rates. I explained that they cause a pause/glitch which invalidates any short-term memory you may have. You are welcome to ignore that and arrive at bogus comparisons but I have to follow the science here.

As far as I understand it, the million tap filter is only engaged at the max upsampling, I think that is the point that @spooky is trying to make. And it’s the million tap filter that is the main feature of the product.

I’m not saying it would have changed anything.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Here's a thought, maybe the dave osnt phased by the added jitter and is able to reject it? Its not like anyone buys an mscaler to use with a none Chord dac, do they?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
As far as I understand it, the million tap filter is only engaged at the max upsampling, I think that is the point that @spooky is trying to make. And it’s the million tap filter that is the main feature of the product.

I’m not saying it would have changed anything.
I'm genuinely interested, would one expect any of the tests conducted to give a measurably different result had that been engaged?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's a thought, maybe the dave osnt phased by the added jitter and is able to reject it? Its not like anyone buys an mscaler to use with a none Chord dac, do they?
Again jitter is not a practical problem. It is just a sign of poor engineering. It may also be showing too high of quantization noise in the filter.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm genuinely interested, would one expect any of the tests conducted to give a measurably different result had that been engaged?
It was engaged. I just showed it in two measurements.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Which term? Processor? If so, some of the high-end external DACs years back called themselves "processors." This fell out of favor after a while but stereophile has stayed with it.
I meant, has "D/A Processor", as still used by JA, been used here at ASR instead of "DAC"? I wasn't referring to what manufacturers choose to call their own products. Digital Decoding Engine was a good one though. :)

Chester

No idea, probably not. But leaves that element of doubt for manufacturers and die hards to dismiss anything that is there. I think that’s the missed trick. Not intended as a criticism Amir, you know I think the effort you put in here is outstanding.

Top Bottom