• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap High Quality ADC

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
@amirm I wonder if you took some time to do a short test of this EVM. I was wondering how the jitter looks like, but also if it would be a good ADC for testing audio devices. From the graphs above the background noise seems very low, at least for freqs above 1KHz, which are the most interesting actually.

Thank you!

hyperknot

So the number 1 place in the whole list is
Forssell MDAC-4 ----> Focusrite Blue 245 master
Focusrite sensitivity 0 dBFS = 20 dBu, serial number = 10
4.0 dB (L), 4.0 dB (R) Corr Depth: 66.9 dB (L), 69.8 dB (R) Difference*: -81.2 dBFS (L) -81.1 dBFS (R)

And the number 2 is this:
SPL Madison ---> Texas Instrument PCM4222 Evaluation Module master (living sounds). Details of the clocking., DC filter off.
0,2 dB (L), 0,2 dB (R) Corr Depth: 78,7 dB (L), 81,2 dB (R) Difference*: -80.1 dBFS, -80.1 dBFS

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So the number 1 place in the whole list is
Forssell MDAC-4 ----> Focusrite Blue 245 master
Focusrite sensitivity 0 dBFS = 20 dBu, serial number = 10
4.0 dB (L), 4.0 dB (R) Corr Depth: 66.9 dB (L), 69.8 dB (R) Difference*: -81.2 dBFS (L) -81.1 dBFS (R)

And the number 2 is this:
SPL Madison ---> Texas Instrument PCM4222 Evaluation Module master (living sounds). Details of the clocking., DC filter off.
0,2 dB (L), 0,2 dB (R) Corr Depth: 78,7 dB (L), 81,2 dB (R) Difference*: -80.1 dBFS, -80.1 dBFS

A notable thing about these results are the very best results are when you have a one device clocking another device. You would think loopbacks would clock even better. Same clock used for both ADC and DAC. However, there is a small time delay caused by the signal leaving the DAC, traveling over the cable, and getting to the ADC. A few nanoseconds. You get lesser results if you have a master clock clocking both devices, and I think for that same reason. If the DAC clocks the ADC, then the clock signal also travels over a cable between devices and the clock between the DAC and ADC can be much closer to the same timing on the signal at both ends. Which means the nulling software has a much easier job time aligning everything.

I suspect the Diffmaker software limits how well it can match up the timing. So some devices in pure loopbacks probably are actually doing better, but the offset timing interferes with results.

And anyone interested in this, you really owe it to yourselves to get Pkane's Deltawave software. It does what Diffmaker does, only better, without blowing up all the time and with many useful features. You can get it for free here (Windows only):

https://deltaw.org/

It is up to revision 45.

PS-I've submitted a few results to that gearslutz thread, and Deltawave gave results within a db or 2 of Diffmaker. More recent versions usually give better results by just a bit. Plus Deltawave is so much more nicely featured.

hyperknot

Yes, that's also a very strange thing, I don't understand why. The wav file are all linked in the table, so it'd be quite easy to re-evaluate for example a RME ADI-2 Pro loopback in Deltawave today.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that's also a very strange thing, I don't understand why. The wav file are all linked in the table, so it'd be quite easy to re-evaluate for example a RME ADI-2 Pro loopback in Deltawave today.

Left and then right channel. Showing in this case is the spectrum of the difference in the original and the Madison_EVM file.
1569898887754.png

1569898995250.png

hyperknot

Reactions: trl

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I will have to dig it up and get it working again. My backlog is pretty deep now so if you don't mind, remind me in a few weeks to test it.

I found two interesting articles: http://s3t.it/measurements/pcm4222evm/ with few measurements and http://www.dimdim.gr/2015/04/the-texas-instruments-pcm4222-evaluation-board/ with the AES to SPDIF adapter (original source here: https://www.rane.com/note149.html).

Nevertheless, MiniDSP USBStreamer seems to be a wise choice to connect the USB port of a PC to the PCM4222EVM.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88 which values from the screenshot match the Diffmaker ones?

Difference (rms) is the difference value, Correlated null is the correlation depth:
1570031472155.png

Here's the same comparison from Gearslutz using DiffMaker (and a Matlab script):
Difference*: -80.1 dBFS, -80.1 dBFS Corr Depth: 78,7 dB (L), 81,2 dB (R)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88 which values from the screenshot match the Diffmaker ones?
The difference RMS. Uncorrelated nulls are determined a bit differently in Diffmaker vs Deltawave so they aren't directly comparable. Though usually show a similar value.

Oops, just saw Pkane answered. He wrote the software. Very nice and has many extra features.

kartoffelmann

Can someone tell a complete newbie how to use these and what other things I would need when buying these along with the board? The notes say that soldering is required and also that an input transformer is required. I have very very basic soldering skills, meaning I can solder together cables but I've never soldered a board and also, is there a good enclosure where I can put all of these things to have it as a single unit? Sadly I don't have anything much in terms of tools, but I suppose I could buy some if necessary.

Nickerz

A notable thing about these results are the very best results are when you have a one device clocking another device. You would think loopbacks would clock even better. Same clock used for both ADC and DAC. However, there is a small time delay caused by the signal leaving the DAC, traveling over the cable, and getting to the ADC. A few nanoseconds. You get lesser results if you have a master clock clocking both devices, and I think for that same reason. If the DAC clocks the ADC, then the clock signal also travels over a cable between devices and the clock between the DAC and ADC can be much closer to the same timing on the signal at both ends. Which means the nulling software has a much easier job time aligning everything.

I suspect the Diffmaker software limits how well it can match up the timing. So some devices in pure loopbacks probably are actually doing better, but the offset timing interferes with results.

And anyone interested in this, you really owe it to yourselves to get Pkane's Deltawave software. It does what Diffmaker does, only better, without blowing up all the time and with many useful features. You can get it for free here (Windows only):

https://deltaw.org/

It is up to revision 45.

PS-I've submitted a few results to that gearslutz thread, and Deltawave gave results within a db or 2 of Diffmaker. More recent versions usually give better results by just a bit. Plus Deltawave is so much more nicely featured.

If your hypothosis is correct then you would suspect that interface results will jump up ahead or at parity with the seperate converters with deltawave, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Top Bottom