• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

possumtaters

Thanks for the quick reply. Has this relay been utilized and tested previously, by yourself or a customer? What is the additional cost? As you likely assumed, I wish to use the USB output voltage on my DAC to trigger your amp. Thank you.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Is the 5V version compatible with a 12V input? Otherwise it may be a pretty specialized amp...

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The ELK relay I posted is listed as 5-24VDC trigger current. I have not tested it (nor have I ordered it just yet) but I have used another version of the ELK relay in my personal DIY builds last year.

I am still shopping around for the best option. So far I have one customer who requested a 5v trigger on their build and I quoted it for an extra $20 (due to not having bulk stock/ordering as a custom basis). His build will be my official offering for a 5v trigger once tested.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This 5-24v trigger input sounds like a good idea, esp for us OktoDAC owners.
(This would be Just In Case, for me, as I'm currently driving a remote power controller with the Okto's trigger out...but would be nice to have a Plan B if the new amp Pops on power up too.)
Add me to the list for one of these (my amp is schedule for May, I think?)
Thanks!!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dumb question, but is there an easy way to test for 5V triggering? I use a 9v battery to test the triggers before shipping. Wasn't sure if there is an easy way to make a small tester

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Dumb question, but is there an easy way to test for 5V triggering? I use a 9v battery to test the triggers before shipping. Wasn't sure if there is an easy way to make a small tester
Generally at 12 volt trigger is just that. It may take a range of voltages maybe down to 9 volts but they're designed for 12 volts and most preamp/processors output that voltage. You can just use a 12 volt wall wart to test trigger. In our amplifiers we use a trigger Jack which has a normal contact which goes to a 12 volt supply and supplies trigger when there's no trigger cable or when a trigger cable is plugged in takes a signal from that cable. The nCore module does not have a 12 volt output but it does have auxiliary voltage output of plus and minus 17 volts on pins 1 and 2 of J6 which can be regulated down (they don't come on until the SMPS is enabled though - a catch 22). Or the 5V standby supply can be used. The SMPS enable can tolerate up to 12v. See the data sheet. The main power switch can go in series with this trigger signal. We use a microcontroller for this interface, which is programmed to do a lot of other housekeeping and control stuff.

Last edited:

Neddy

I'd think a USB PS would do nicely, OktoDAC manual state it's max 15mA @ 5v.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Watch the pull-in current on a conventional relay; some trigger circuits have limited current (50 mA or so) and a relay may not work or worse break the AVR's trigger circuit (happened to a guy a few years ago -- blew the trigger circuit in his Denon).

As for testing, three standard 1.5 V batteries in series is 4.5 V or so, pretty close. Or pick up a cheap variable voltage power supply, or even a 5 V wall wart, or just use some wires or clips to connect to the 5 V rail of any computer power supply.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I found a nice relay that would work with 5V up to 24V and fit the same area/quick connects. But it pulls 100mA, which is obviously way to high. Still looking.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I found a nice relay that would work with 5V up to 24V and fit the same area/quick connects. But it pulls 100mA, which is obviously way to high. Still looking.
Can't you drive the relay through a pass transistor from the standby supply, which is good for 1 amp?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can't you drive the relay through a pass transistor from the standby supply, which is good for 1 amp?
The min current of the 5V signal from the source trigger would need to provide the mA.

100mA isn't terrible for something like my HTP-1 (it can output up to 200mA if using one trigger out) but for the 5V DAC outputs customers use I definitely need a very low mA requirement.

The ELK relay looks like it'd work beat. Will probably order a few and try em out.

Neddy

Hm. Even 'back in the day' I was doing this kind of stuff, there were opto-isolated and solid state relays that could do this.
By definition, the opto-isolated ones only required 30mA or so.
IRCC, Omron was a favorite of mine.
Best wishes and happy (catalog) hunting!!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The min current of the 5V signal from the source trigger would need to provide the mA.

100mA isn't terrible for something like my HTP-1 (it can output up to 200mA if using one trigger out) but for the 5V DAC outputs customers use I definitely need a very low mA requirement.

The ELK relay looks like it'd work beat. Will probably order a few and try em out.
Huh? A pass transistor is specifically used to allow a higher current component to be driven from a source which cannot supply much current.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Huh? A pass transistor is specifically used to allow a higher current component to be driven from a source which cannot supply much current.
My bad. Read it wrong. I'll look at that route as well. Thanks!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hm. Even 'back in the day' I was doing this kind of stuff, there were opto-isolated and solid state relays that could do this.
By definition, the opto-isolated ones only required 30mA or so.
IRCC, Omron was a favorite of mine.
Best wishes and happy (catalog) hunting!!
Omron is the one I found but has the high draw. I dont want to get anyone's hopes up. If I can find an easy way to incorporate a 5v compatible trigger I absolutely will

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
My bad. Read it wrong. I'll look at that route as well. Thanks!
Either way you go, stick a reverse biased diode across the relay coil - the back EMF upon deenergizing can take out some upstream circuitry.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Top Bottom