• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Me too!! :D

mattf

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For anyone who's ordered and is looking to get XLR -> RCA cables (and has noticed that Monoprice is sold out of the short ones for quite a while)... I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Audio-Amplifier-Microphone-JOLGOO/dp/B07ZVY3R53/
https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo-Audio-Connection-Microphone/dp/B083R4DL5N/

They're both wired with pins 1,3 to ground as per the monoprice.

Wiring 1 and 3 to ground is usually OK for RCA to XLR, but not going from XLR to RCA. You are shorting one of the outputs in the latter case. IN the former case, you are shorting one of the inputs, which some input circuits may not care about, but it will increase noise and distortion in other topologies.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my 2 channel NC252MP amp today. Looks good, sounds great. Light as the proverbial feather.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For anyone who's ordered and is looking to get XLR -> RCA cables (and has noticed that Monoprice is sold out of the short ones for quite a while)... I found these on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Audio-Amplifier-Microphone-JOLGOO/dp/B07ZVY3R53/
https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo-Audio-Connection-Microphone/dp/B083R4DL5N/

They're both wired with pins 1,3 to ground as per the monoprice.
Sorry. These cables (left picture) aren't the same as the Monoprice ones, and they are not made to Hypex's schematic (right picture).

RCA to XLR Cables.jpg

Let me explain (see schematics below). The positive output of the single-ended source is Va+, and the negative is Va-. The inputs to the Hypex (balanced) amp are Vb+ and Vb-. We want Va+ & Vb+ to be as close as possible to each other, and the same for Va- & Vb-.

If there is a potential difference between the source and the amp chassis, there will be a current flow in the shield of the cable (I_gnd). A voltage difference will exist across the source output end and amp input end of the shield. The Hypex version of the cable is shown on top, and this ground current will have very little effect on Vb-, and thus Vb- and Va- can be very close.

If a 2 conductor (coax) cable is used instead, this voltage difference caused by the ground current across the shield/negative conductor will be picked up at Vb-, resulting in a ground loop problem.

Ground Loop.jpg

mattf

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. But that isn't the schematic from the monoprice item that people recommended here:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4776

So in the monoprice diagram, it looks like the shielding on the RCA side is on pin 1 AND 3. Isn't that the same as the (color) image from the Amazon product?

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also drew a schematic diagram for an adapter cable for bridging. But let me first warn anybody who make this adapter to be very careful with it, and this must not be used for any other purposes (i.e. do not let anyone confuse this with a standard y-splitter cable). This cable switches the polarity of one of the y-branches. Don't let this adapter get out of your sight.

BTL Input.jpg

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. But that isn't the schematic from the monoprice item that people recommended here:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4776
This is the schematic of the Monoprice cable. It uses a shielded twisted pair cable. The other ones use coax. The difference is subtle, as one needs to consider the resistance of the wires.

47764.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
New ETA blocks is now June 7th

To all my customers and possible future customers: You all rock. Seriously. I definitely have no time for a website right now but with how quickly the sales are coming in....not sure I really need one as I feel I'd have to start turning down orders lol.
I got a few days behind due to my Covid vaccination knocking me out for three days but working to get back ahead.

ALSO:
I still have (4) old 19" cases. If anyone wants a discount build or even wants a blank case with the hardware to do their own DIY projects, let me know.

Last edited:

dutchboy

Forum Donor
You all need to get it now before the ETA pushes to 2022. :D
Hahahehe
The addict in me read the update and immediately thought “The lead time and price for these is only gonna increase, better figure out what you think you will need and order it”.
I have had my first ever 4 channel amp from Buckeye Amps less than a week...so much for tip toeing into the world of external amplification lol
I guess I am not the only one to recognize a extraordinarily good deal when I see one.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Buckeye Amps

Amp builds are very much the high value deal around. Performance wise, can’t touch it without stepping up in multiples in cost. While the ascetics are fairly industrial and unremarkable, they are definitely Not Audiophile Jewelry. In as much as clean pure power these amp builds can’t be beat. All Spec and no lipstick is absolutely perfect for the purpose.

Todd k

Forum Donor
Love it. All spec. The lipstick is not needed. My buckeye amp can make my dual 15” subs pressurize my listening room to ear to ear grins. Continued success to u

Top Bottom