• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Alright, looking very preliminary into Purifi again. Still would be a while away (especially with the Hypex 1200 SMPS being on backorder until end of April).

If I did a 2ch offering using the standard Purifi EVAL board (no frills OP amps or buffers) and could hit a mark of around $100 less than current offerings, what kind of interest would there be?
I don't in any way have a feel for the market for this, but will just post one thought for consideration: The Purifi has less power than an NC502MP. The Purifi does measure better, but barring a well-conducted blind test indicating differently, I doubt that the difference would be audible in the vast majority of situations. Therefore, the customers for this amp will tend to be those who want "the best" and are willing to pay extra for it, but not as much as something like a Mark Levinson, or even a Benchmark--or maybe money is not a factor but they are environmentally or heat conscious and prefer the more efficient Class D designs. So my question--and I do not know the answer--is how many of those customers are there who are willing to spend a 50% premium over your NC502MP but price sensitive enough to prefer your amps over those with a more stylish design or from a more established brand?

Of course, there are other reasons people purchase Buckeye Amps, such as your high quality builds, excellent customer service and/or just liking to support either small businesses or American businesses, or both, so maybe there will be more than enough to justify your expansion. Personally, if I were to buy a system in the next year or two that did not use active speakers, I'd most likely go with a either a stereo Buckeye NC252MP or a Topping PA5, depending on how much power I felt was needed. If I did need more power, then I'd be far more likely to go with an NC502MP for $650 than a Purifi for $900-$1050. If I suddenly came into a large amount of money and could afford considerably more for, say, a pair of Salon 2s, I'd spring for something higher end in appearance. Maybe boXem Purifi monoblocks or the aforementioned Mark Levinsons. I'd most likely skip the stereo Purifi "level" entirely. But that is just me. Others may feel very differently, and there are also multichannel buyers to consider, which is an area I have very little interest in. Whatever you do, I hope it is wildly successful.

Last edited:
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Alright, so some bad news. I unfortunately spoke too soon on price increases. Now that all of my cases are updated to the new non-powder coated interior and bulk purchase prices of some of my more expensive parts have increased (mainly XLR connectors and Power LED's, but even crimps have gone up...10 cents a unit isn't much until you have to purchase a large amount) I have been able to crunch some numbers while comparing my pricing to competitors. I will still be able to offer the least expensive options in the US and for most brands abroad. Below is the new pricing. This will ONLY affect new orders that have not been placed/had a down payment made.

2ch 502 = 699
2ch 252 = 529

4ch 502 = no change
4ch 252 = 849

6ch 502 = 1729
6ch 252 = 1299

8ch 252 = 1649

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Fully kicked the flu bug and back on track with filling orders tomorrow. I have the next 10 days off so I still plan on having any 2021 orders completed by the New Years weekend.

Other news: After 14 months in business and fulfilling well over 300 orders so far, I can report I have only had a total of (3) modules replaced due to RMA reasons. Well under a 1% failure rate (a lot of those 300 orders were for multi channel amps). I give it to Hypex, their QC is impeccable.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Fully kicked the flu bug and back on track with filling orders tomorrow. I have the next 10 days off so I still plan on having any 2021 orders completed by the New Years weekend.

Other news: After 14 months in business and fulfilling well over 300 orders so far, I can report I have only had a total of (3) modules replaced due to RMA reasons. Well under a 1% failure rate (a lot of those 300 orders were for multi channel amps). I give it to Hypex, their QC is impeccable.
Great to hear you are feeling better!

Also great to hear about the Hypex QA, though 1% failure rate is much, much higher than most companies would tolerate...

Last edited:
Reactions: pma
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great to hear you are feeling better!

Also great to hear about the Hypex QA, though 1% failure rate is much, much higher than most companies would tolerate...
So a more precise number (since I merely said under 1%):

Of over 400 NC252MP modules used, only 1 has failed.
Of over 300 NC502MP modules used, only 1 has failed.

The third module I originally included was customer error resulting in needing replacement.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
So a more precise number (since I merely said under 1%):

Of over 400 NC252MP modules used, only 1 has failed.
Of over 300 NC502MP modules used, only 1 has failed.

The third module I originally included was customer error resulting in needing replacement.

Thanks Dylan.

NC252 failure rate <0.25%
NC502 failure rate <0.33%

I wonder what a typical failure rate for consumer audio products might be? (Not a question for you, general question.) My perspective comes from high-volume high-reliability product lines so may not reflect reality in the consumer audio world.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Dylan.

NC252 failure rate <0.25%
NC502 failure rate <0.33%

I wonder what a typical failure rate for consumer audio products might be? (Not a question for you, general question.) My perspective comes from high-volume high-reliability product lines so may not reflect reality in the consumer audio world.

I don't have an exact apples-to-apples comparison because power amplifiers are simpler and contain fewer components than most other consumer gear, and I don't have exact figures because their data is paywalled - but from many years of perusing my father's printed Consumer Reports annual equipment guide, I can say that the above-quoted Hypex failure rates are an order of magnitude lower than the failure rates of the majority of electronics products on which Consumer Reports collects failure data.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't have an exact apples-to-apples comparison because power amplifiers are simpler and contain fewer components than most other consumer gear, and I don't have exact figures because their data is paywalled - but from many years of perusing my father's printed Consumer Reports annual equipment guide, I can say that the above-quoted Hypex failure rates are an order of magnitude lower than the failure rates of the majority of electronics products on which Consumer Reports collects failure data.
Like you said, I think it will be hard to find an apples to apples comparison. And I hope I'm not over stepping any boundaries (by Hypex) posting the "failure rate" of my modules.
Unless another competitor posted theirs or a larger company like Emotiva, ATI, etc posted their amp failure rates, the comparison will be hard.

For instance, for an Xbox or Playstation, failure rates as high as 15% were considered "upper limit".
A quick Google search says 5% for consuner electronics is acceptable. But again there is a difference between an iPhone and a Hypex module.

thegeton

Forum Donor
A question for the folks who have purchased, or soon will purchase, a Buckeye amp,

What preamp(s) are you going to use with it?

In particular, I’m interested in what folks are pairing with the Buckeye 2 channel NC252MP, since that’s what I’ll be getting.

Thanks.

RME ADI-2 DAC FS to my Buckeye 2Ch NC252MP with Ghent case:

ADI-2 DAC FS.jpg

BuckeyeGhent252_sm.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My four-channel NC252 is driving the overhead speakers from a JBL Synthesis SDP-75 (Trinnov Altitude 32).

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Buckeye 2Ch NC252MP with Ghent case:
View attachment 175169
I love the thick snake power cable - it most definitely subjectively improves the sound of your system - just see how awesome and impressive it looks. The rest of wiring looks great too and overall improves my subjective experience with your system without even hearing it ;-P

Last edited:

thegeton

Forum Donor
I love the thick snake power cable - it most definitely subjectively improves the sound of your system - just look how awesome and impressive it looks. The rest of wiring looks great too and overall improves my subjective experience with your system without even hearing it ;-P
Hah!

I knew at least one of you would take exception to the cables. Of course they do nothing to the sound. They just look cool; like you, I enjoy the aesthetic.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Hah!

I knew at least one of you would take exception to the cables. Of course they do nothing to the sound. They just look cool; like you, I enjoy the aesthetic.
I can never fault aesthetics. It is the people who claim objective differences for certain cables that get to me.
I do the same with my car. Does a carbon fiber engine cover do anything for performance? Absolutely not. But it looks a lot cleaner when I am in the engine bay. Yet I am sure some people think it sheds enough weight to make a difference lol

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
As the New Year approaches, it's that time again to ask the community what they would like to see/suggestions going forward. Purifi is still on a slow simmer/back burner but always on the mind.

Things like:
- Custom case colors?
- An 8 channel NC502MP?
- A 4ch NC502 + 4ch NC252 case config?
- Etc

Golfx

Forum Donor
As the New Year approaches, it's that time again to ask the community what they would like to see/suggestions going forward. Purifi is still on a slow simmer/back burner but always on the mind.

Things like:
- Custom case colors?
- An 8 channel NC502MP?
- A 4ch NC502 + 4ch NC252 case config?
- Etc
Perhaps some NC1200 configurations? I had to go to March Audio for monoblocks for driving my LCR.

Jdunk54nl

Perhaps some NC1200 configurations? I had to go to March Audio for monoblocks for driving my LCR.
Just bridge a nc502mp and problem solved for that. You could get a 6 channel 502mp, bridge them all for 3 channels and be at about the same cost as one march audio nc1200. You get more power with bridged 502mp's at 4 and 8 ohms compared to a nc1200. So unless you need 2 ohm stability, the nc1200's are not a great solution.

Now if Buckeye gets into the nc2k line for some passive sub amps to match his other offerings, he may have something there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom