• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

rcstevensonaz

As the New Year approaches, it's that time again to ask the community what they would like to see/suggestions going forward. Purifi is still on a slow simmer/back burner but always on the mind.

Things like:
- Custom case colors?
- An 8 channel NC502MP?
- A 4ch NC502 + 4ch NC252 case config?
- Etc
Can you re-orient the RCA and XLR? I noticed on a different case, the RCA Right/Left was perpendicular, and the XLR was to the side of the RCAs (rather than below).

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps you asked! An oldie but goodie, VU and Clip Meters/Indicators. ;)
VU Meter is still probably not on the table but I am going to be working with a fellow member on here to start offering a simple clip indicator for 2ch builds as an extra cost add on.

I want to wait until I am sure no new case changes will be made before incorporating it tho.

chucky7

Just bridge a nc502mp and problem solved for that. You could get a 6 channel 502mp, bridge them all for 3 channels and be at about the same cost as one march audio nc1200. You get more power with bridged 502mp's at 4 and 8 ohms compared to a nc1200. So unless you need 2 ohm stability, the nc1200's are not a great solution.

Now if Buckeye gets into the nc2k line for some passive sub amps to match his other offerings, he may have something there.
Can you show me how to bridge, say the NC252MP? TIA!

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

mwjoe

Not that I "need" it, clip indicators would be great, as well as have the ability to order the amp bridged, or a cable pre-wired to bridge the inputs.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not that I "need" it, clip indicators would be great, as well as have the ability to order the amp bridged, or a cable pre-wired to bridge the inputs.
Ordering the amp bridged has always been available. I just usually steer customers to doing their own external bridging with an XLR splitter that way they don't need to open the amp to rewire it if they ever want to unbridge it.

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Hah!

I knew at least one of you would take exception to the cables. Of course they do nothing to the sound. They just look cool; like you, I enjoy the aesthetic.
Aesthetics is really important, but there's more where that comes from - our beliefs shape our experience in a major way. I replaced all cables in my 2.2 channel system with nice Blue Jeans wires and snake power cables just like yours. It made me feel good about putting "the cherry on top" of my system with good cabling and it sounded better to me because of that. Upgraded my fine DAC with D90 even without hearing appreciable differences on A/B and that was still a subjective improvement knowing I have 6dB less noise even if not audible to begin with. I got NC502MP Buckeye Amps for my HT to make sure I have reliable performance and enough power even though probably won't be able to distinguish it on A/B with my AVR's amps on my speakers. The satisfaction of using the best available engineering is super important for me (and this community) and it does make a difference in your experience. It's probably as important as having the next hottest snake oil to the stereo-typical audiophool. We people are not that different, we can learn some techniques from audiophools :)

sdiver68

Sorry if this has been asked, can you add adjustable gain per channel as an option?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Very off topic request:

Is anyone in here good with either metal work (for a sculpture) OR good at design of a 3D file for 3D printing?
I anticipate to be defending my PhD in June or July and want to get a specific sculpture or high quality 3D printed model done for my professor as a gift.

Appreciate it!

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Very off topic request:

Is anyone in here good with either metal work (for a sculpture) OR good at design of a 3D file for 3D printing?
I anticipate to be defending my PhD in June or July and want to get a specific sculpture or high quality 3D printed model done for my professor as a gift.

Appreciate it!
www.dshollandsculpture.com

David is a long-time acquaintance of mine. He started off as an engineer then was in building construction materials sales for three decades. In the late '80s/ early '90s he worked on his arts degree. From what I remember he took a lot of classes at the Corcoran Gallery in DC. He was always working with metal for his sculptures.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
www.dshollandsculpture.com

David is a long-time acquaintance of mine. He started off as an engineer then was in building construction materials sales for three decades. In the late '80s/ early '90s he worked on his arts degree. From what I remember he took a lot of classes at the Corcoran Gallery in DC. He was always working with metal for his sculptures.
It's only going to be like an 8-10" tall sculpture. Would that be too small/insignificant for his time you think?

AGLeS

Forum Donor
Very off topic request:

Appreciate it!

My son is an active welder and has done a bunch of 3D design and printing. Happy to connect you if you’d like.

Keened

Forum Donor
As the New Year approaches, it's that time again to ask the community what they would like to see/suggestions going forward. Purifi is still on a slow simmer/back burner but always on the mind.

Things like:
- Custom case colors?
- An 8 channel NC502MP?
- A 4ch NC502 + 4ch NC252 case config?
- Etc
3 channel Purifi ;p

Most surround speakers are expected to be less capable in general, it's the front stage (2.0 for the purists and 3.0 for the purists who also like to watch those new talking moving pictures) where most of the focus is placed. So a 7 channel system where the LCR are Purifi and the ancillary speakers are Ncores.

I've been toying with the idea of a modular 2ch/3ch/2ch poweramp section where the side channels can be broken off to be used in other rooms when not using the full home theater (or loaned out to convert people to the dark side). The main issues I've come across are case sizes, daisy chaining triggers, and blue LEDs everywhere. If you found case sizes that would let you fit all three together onto a 2U rack shelf and offered amber LEDs for power status with a red LED clipping status indicator...

Also if you found a reasonably priced supplier for titanium you could do some rainbow anodizing, swap it in for the front plate and make a fortune selling to people who pay for audio jewelry.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
One other positive about the clipping indicators: The way they will be mounted (as long as customer satisfaction OK's it) would allow me to sell a the indicators to past customers who are confident in install them themselves (will be a literal plug and play solution). This would only apply to anyone with my newest cases (the ones with the 2-piece U case design).

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
3 channel Purifi ;p

Most surround speakers are expected to be less capable in general, it's the front stage (2.0 for the purists and 3.0 for the purists who also like to watch those new talking moving pictures) where most of the focus is placed. So a 7 channel system where the LCR are Purifi and the ancillary speakers are Ncores.

I've been toying with the idea of a modular 2ch/3ch/2ch poweramp section where the side channels can be broken off to be used in other rooms when not using the full home theater (or loaned out to convert people to the dark side). The main issues I've come across are case sizes, daisy chaining triggers, and blue LEDs everywhere. If you found case sizes that would let you fit all three together onto a 2U rack shelf and offered amber LEDs for power status with a red LED clipping status indicator...

Also if you found a reasonably priced supplier for titanium you could do some rainbow anodizing, swap it in for the front plate and make a fortune selling to people who pay for audio jewelry.
Depending on your preferred surround format the bed layer could require more capable speakers then others.

Top Bottom