• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Hypex NCx500 Official Thread

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I miss the announcement from last weekend? What's happening?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did I miss the announcement from last weekend? What's happening?
This one?

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one?
I saw that one, thank you. I thought that an actual product was due tba... not just the tease. So, we still don't know yet, from the lack of rabid foaming from all of us wanna be Buckeye fanboys... once actually announced.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another chance for a new thread it seems.

Thanks!
Your amps are so good there's nothing negative to say about them so the threads drift off into tangent territory all too often.

tprevett

@Buckeye Amps Do the Monoblocks require 4 jumpers for the Buffer setting? Curious because the monoblocks only seem to have 2 jumpers installed, and no extras. Wanted to check before I order some from amazon.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The Hypex Buffer setting uses just two jumpers (for Bypass mode).
For the Buckeye Buffer setting, four jumpers would be used

MusicMan77

Hey folks......a brief update on the performance of my NCx monoblocks. I've been thrashing them for the last hour with a youtube stream from a group called Camelphat (yes, I know the quality is crap. That's not new news). This is a hard hitting set of house music they played at the legendary Printworks in the UK for it's closing show. I've had these amps pushed hard running through my ML 'stats and these things are BARELY warm. My WORD these amps are so capable. You just want to keep turning up the volume to see how much they have to give. They can over-drive my speakers so I need to be careful, but holy holy I just want to keep turning the knob.

Tom22

Hey folks......a brief update on the performance of my NCx monoblocks. I've been thrashing them for the last hour with a youtube stream from a group called Camelphat (yes, I know the quality is crap. That's not new news). This is a hard hitting set of house music they played at the legendary Printworks in the UK for it's closing show. I've had these amps pushed hard running through my ML 'stats and these things are BARELY warm. My WORD these amps are so capable. You just want to keep turning up the volume to see how much they have to give. They can over-drive my speakers so I need to be careful, but holy holy I just want to keep turning the knob.
Awesome! Which ML do you have? Seems that Ncx copes well with the low impedances.

I have a pair of the ESL 11A, currently driven by a Denon PMA A110. However, I am looking at the Ncx modules instead. They are on backorder though, not only with Buckeye…

MusicMan77

Awesome! Which ML do you have? Seems that Ncx copes well with the low impedances.

I have a pair of the ESL 11A, currently driven by a Denon PMA A110. However, I am looking at the Ncx modules instead. They are on backorder though, not only with Buckeye…
I've got the ESL X's I purchased new about a year ago. Do you use subs with yours? I got the X's because I though separate subs would give me the big thump I wanted for my house music listening.

Tom22

I've got the ESL X's I purchased new about a year ago. Do you use subs with yours? I got the X's because I though separate subs would give me the big thump I wanted for my house music listening.
No, I don‘t have additional subs…the 11A have 2 active woofers each (2 x 275 W ICEpower per speaker), which is not only enough, but even too much for my room. I dialled bass down by -4 dB. Anthem Room Correction helps with a mode around 40 Hz.

Since they have active (mid-)bass, an amp does not have too much work, I guess. However, impedance is quite low in high frequencies.

Megaken

Can I drop a nilai module instead of the NCx one into one of these?

MusicMan77

A nice surprise: our restock of Hypex NCx500 modules are on there way, a month earlier than expected!

And before anyone asks, still finishing up work on the 2kW Micro Audio SMPS for the 3ch...
Now if only we could find out all about that shiny new somewhat-not-a-secret integrated amp coming our way I could decide if I want that or another NCx amp. :)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Who would have thought it would take so long....
Designing a high test power supply that will stand up to the firing squad here at ASR? Ummm...

I'm not surprised. Especially after seeing page after page of people complain about some minutia performance spec that is so far from audible as to be irrelevant. :)

I'm all for them getting this right. and while I will need such an amp when I upgrade my AVR, that is still a few minutes out. :cool:

Bogey907

Designing a high test power supply that will stand up to the firing squad here at ASR? Ummm...

I'm not surprised. Especially after seeing page after page of people complain about some minutia performance spec that is so far from audible as to be irrelevant. :)

I'm all for them getting this right. and while I will need such an amp when I upgrade my AVR, that is still a few minutes out. :cool:

Not to mention review testers who think it's ok to operate an amp continuously at full rated power.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning

If it were something designed from scratch I could understand it taking a long time but isn't the manufacturer in the SMPS business, with several similar products already on the market for quite some time?

Top Bottom