• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Mkaram

Why do manufacturers send gear here? To lose sales, or gain sales? Is a higher rating on the best amp chart, better for sales, or worse for sales?
Typically gear here is sent by members, not manufacturers. This one is a bit different because Amir identified an inaudible shortcoming that wasn't readily explained by a deliberate design choice.
The manufacturer collaborated with users here to rectify the perceived shortcoming and asked Amir to double check their work

This amp, and the prior edition of it, are both still excellent products.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If that argument is valid, why even bother with Purifi at all? Just get something cheaper because distortion and noise isn’t audible anyways. But for me, if I’m buying a Purifi amp, I want it to perform at least as well as the reference design. Otherwise If quality isn’t important to me, I’ll purchase something cheaper. Like the Hypex NC502 based amps.

If you bought a Lamborghini that was rated at 700hp, and it only had 550, would you be cool with it anyways because the interstate speed limit is only 70mph?
That was the case with the first sample and I withhold recommendation for that reason. Folks complained that what was there wasn't audible. I still stuck to my guns and we see the improvement here. The difference is negligible because if you breath on the connectors your THD+N vs power gets derated to what you see here. And the degradation still lands the amplifier in an excellent region in that metric.

But sure, if you think it is too much and you want to buy another amp, by all means do.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is the chart generated based on data or manually assembled? I certainly think the chart is a good thing. I mean you want to buy something in blue, not orange. So it's really useful for a quick filter. But i do agree with many on the comparison part in the blue area especially. It would help if for example the gain is shown on the bar or something. In case it's a generated chart it may not be too difficult to add?
Thanks for the measurement as always!
I create it manually in Excel. There is automation to create the color coding (VB program, Excel sadly can't do that natively). In some cases I have added gain factor but I am not sure it is worth the effort and the graph is already too big.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why is it rated higher than the Nord on your SINAD chart, when the Nord has better performance in all areas?
What? The chart is for SINAD. What do you mean about including "all areas" in it? Both amplifiers got my highest recommendation.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I was preparing my own elegant and witty rejoinder to the proposition that most don't get it. We do, and did before you chose to beat it to death, but beren77 beat me to the punch with a much better rejoinder. Let's hang the hairballs and move on. Thank you

Funny how the errors are always in the favour of the ones with the best forum relationshp. All I know is if I made amps, and my amp got knocked down the list by a worse amp, I wouldn’t be impressed. Not sure why absolutely nobody on this forum even remotely understands my point.
I understand your point about the chart but disagree with your conclusions. Feel free to PM me if you need further clarification out of respect for future thread readers, and the fact that I *actually* need to get some work done today lol.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No the normal gain SINAD of the Nord is 105dB. And the normal gain SINAD of the Buckeye is 103, yet the Buckeye gets a 106dB rating in the chart. And bumped the Nord down the list.
What "normal gain?" I already explained there is no such thing and I am allowing lower gain settings to show their improvement.

Further, how come you are not complaining about the same degradation in Nord?

index.php

It too underperforms the reference design in similar manner.

Anyway Alan, as a competitor to this company, we are going to let you go. Don't keep creating these duplicate aliases to put down other products that compete with yours.

It wouldn’t have ever been beaten to death if folks didn’t chime in to defend a misleading data presentation. A great response would be “ your point is extremely valid, and anyone with half a brain cell would agree”
I pretty much said that in post #70, yet the beatings continue.

middlemarch

Forum Donor
I know this is sort of off topic, but I have to just say that after some 30 years of first Usenet and then forums of all sorts, ASR is the Best.Forum.Ever! Hands down, no contest! I love this place! People don't get really worked up about stuff they don't give a poop about. Amir, you are a gift, a national treasure, thank you so much for putting up with all of us!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What "normal gain?" I already explained there is no such thing and I am allowing lower gain settings to show their improvement.

Further, how come you are not complaining about the same degradation in Nord?

index.php

It too underperforms the reference design in similar manner.

Anyway Alan, as a competitor to this company, we are going to let you go. Don't keep creating these duplicate aliases to put down other products that compete with yours.
Is it his IP or MAC address that enable you to identify him?

JPA

Forum Donor
Please tell us who exactly Alan is, and what is his company. I would like to make sure I don't buy any of his products.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am guessing March Audio, where you can get two channels of Purifi 1ET400A goodness for the low price of $3729.00 US.
I was sort of on the fence with Alan although now he seems to have some sort of character defect. He has what is apparently a operating business in his own corner of the world and yet he comes here to cast his web. That's just stupid. :facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please tell us who exactly Alan is, and what is his company. I would like to make sure I don't buy any of his products.
As noted, it is March Audio. He keeps creating new aliases, directly or indirectly promoting his own audio gear. I have lost track of how many duplicate aliases he has created. Probably up to double digits now. He does well initially hiding his personality but soon, it comes out making it obvious.

Top Bottom