• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 19 6.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 24.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 151 55.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your subjective impression is noted, just wondering what pro gear it is based on, as you stated that you aren't that familiar with pro gear.

Thank you for your interest. I am sorry we are getting a little bit out of the scope on this thread, but let me respond as follows...

I once intensively "subjectively" compared a pro (PA?) 4-Ch amp Yamaha XM4080 with my Accuphase E-460 in my audio system at my home listening environment (not shared in detail on my project thread, though). The difference in sound quality was really easily audible by myself and my wife.

Then I also intensively compared 11-Ch AV amp Yamaha MX-A5200 (Class-AB) with my Accupahse E-460 in my audio setup at my home listening environments; you can find the details in my post here. As I also recently wrote here;
1. I could re-confirm the superiority (compared to MX-A5200), in all aspects of Sound Quality, of my Reference Sound system mainly thanks to the very nice ACCUPHASE E460, and also thanks to the fully renovated LC-network, still excellent YAMAHA-NS1000's WO, SQ and TW, together with SW YST-SW1000 and ST FOSTEX T925A.
2. I should be very much careful enough in deciding the possible multichannel amplifier(s) in my project. The total Sound Quality and power of such multichannel amplifier(s) should be about the same or superior to ACCUPHASE E-460 (in passive single amp configuration).

These "early" amp comparison strongly urged/encouraged me to proceed into long and intensive amplifier exploration journey in my project; you can find the Hyperlink Index for my project thread here and here.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to be a party-pooper, but what does any of this have to do with this thread topic? And don't say it all has to do with sound ;)

Noted and well understood.
Let's discuss regarding the topic of amp selection on my project thread or on some other remote threads.

On this thread, I would like to return to my reference post here on "non-magnetizable metals".

Last edited:
I’d like to thank Dylan for his psychic divination and wizarding abilities. Not only did he somehow surmise that today is my birthday, he also made sure the amp was delivered this afternoon. Everything looks good and initial listening impressions are very positive. :)

Edit: No issues so far with the Monoprice cables

Last edited:

droid2000

I’d like to thank Dylan for his psychic divination and wizarding abilities. Not only did he somehow surmise that today is my birthday, he also made sure the amp was delivered this afternoon. Everything looks good and initial listening impressions are very positive. :)

Edit: No issues so far with the Monoprice cables
Noice. Which amp did you get?

Noice. Which amp did you get?
I went with the 3-channel. Did a rough Dirac calibration this morning and just casual listening so far, but seems to be doing its job and doing it well. I’ll have more time to test and push it this weekend. Loving how cool it runs. I wonder if space is even needed around the unit. Tempted to place it vertically next to my AVR and out of sight… anybody know if vertical orientation is not advisable? More cable strain on the “highest” connector maybe? I am admittedly new at this.

droid2000

Loving how cool it runs. I wonder if space is even needed around the unit.
I put the 2-channel version of his Purifi amp inside a small cabinet about 8" H x 12" W x 30" L. No ventilation except for a couple of small holes for cables. It runs cool although I don't run it super hard.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I have an AC Infinity Aircom sitting on top of my 3ch Purifi set to come on when the inside temperature reaches 86F....it has yet to turn on even when I watch movies near reference (and the 3ch is running my LCR)

I have an AC Infinity Aircom sitting on top of my 3ch Purifi set to come on when the inside temperature reaches 86F....it has yet to turn on even when I watch movies near reference (and the 3ch is running my LCR)
My AVR is powering just two surrounds now and I can feel the heat venting out of it. Whereas the Buckeye powering my LCR with large towers is basically cool to the touch. To be expected for Purifi, I suppose, but still makes me giggle.

Gary7

^I have the same setup inside an enclosed cabinet (a 3ch Buckeye Purifi with an AC Infinity Aircom S6 perched on top of it). The cabinet enclosure is ventilated with temperature-regulated fans in a 'push-pull' configuration. I had to remove the Aircom as it was just in the way (the ventilated heat from the Purifi never triggered the 86°F design setpoint of the Aircom). The cabinet fans- set at 85°F- are rarely activated, and I keep the cabinet door closed. Temperatures were verified with an infrared temperature gun at the warmest part of the amplifier.
There's a 2-channel Hypex now sitting on the shelf above used for Zone 2 (patio). I haven't seen a noticeable rise in temperature even after movie night or parties on the patio.

Attachments

• 20221218_105021.jpg
    20221218_105021.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 94

Descartes

Major Contributor
Did you fix the issue Amir described in his review?
Also could you please let us know when you will have better looking boxes. My amps sit in the open on a rack and esthetic is also important to me!

charlielaub

@Descartes : Buckeye amps offers a streamlined product that is less expensive because it doesn't have lots of frilly cases and he doesn't spend lots of money on advertising and booths at "audiophile" shows. I like that. It is no secret that there are several other companies offering the exact same amp modules in case styles that your discerning eye might find more appealing - in the end you will get the same, awesome Hypex or Purifi performance but you will just pay more for it. I suggest you patronize one of those other suppliers if you really must get your aesthetic center appropopriately tickled. Meanwhile the rest of us have saved a bunch by going with what BuckeyeAmps has on offer.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Did you fix the issue Amir described in his review?
Also could you please let us know when you will have better looking boxes. My amps sit in the open on a rack and esthetic is also important to me!
Yes it has been fixed and verified by multiple different measurement sources.
A revised 3ch Purifi is on its way to Amir next week.

No plans on changing the cases.

Descartes

Major Contributor
@Descartes : Buckeye amps offers a streamlined product that is less expensive because it doesn't have lots of frilly cases and he doesn't spend lots of money on advertising and booths at "audiophile" shows. I like that. It is no secret that there are several other companies offering the exact same amp modules in case styles that your discerning eye might find more appealing - in the end you will get the same, awesome Hypex or Purifi performance but you will just pay more for it. I suggest you patronize one of those other suppliers if you really must get your aesthetic center appropopriately tickled. Meanwhile the rest of us have saved a bunch by going with what BuckeyeAmps has on offer.
No need to be so aggressive! I am not asking to change the cases for all just to offer the option to have better looking cases with an additional fee!

Last edited:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Simply stating facts is not being aggressive.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Buckeye offers anodized cases.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom