• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A500 Measurements and Spinorama

sharock

And to hit this price point with separates and dual subs most of the components are going to be economical choices - given like for like functionality (streaming + room correction, ie. adding a MiniDSP SHD is $1200 alone).

Not sure about in the US, but for a similar price in GBP you can get 2x Genelec 8030c + 2x SVS SB1000 Pro + NAD C658 streamer with Dirac. Pros and cons to each suppose.

brandall10

Not sure about in the US, but for a similar price in GBP you can get 2x Genelec 8030c + 2x SVS SB1000 Pro + NAD C658 streamer with Dirac. Pros and cons to each suppose.

For sure, your options certainly open up looking at actives/pro audio. I'd have to go up to a much larger genelec, this is for a 3000 cubic foot space at a 10 foot listening distance. The SHD is a better performing unit at a lesser cost here.

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess my main question is, where is the recent discussion on this forum?

I mean there was 8 pages of discussion on this and it's not even an Amir review! That's pretty good. If Amir ever reviews the A500(or better yet, A700), I bet there will be substantial interest. I honestly had considered the Buchardt actives myself but ended up going with Genelec. Mostly because they were cheap in Canada(I paid only about $650/ea more for 8351Bs than A500s) and Buchardt doesn't have any good center option.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying you don't find much bass at lower volume? The sub-bass is clearly audible on mine at very low levels (lower than normal conversation levels).

It's not supposed to be an obvious tilt, it's meant to contour to our perception of bass, so it should seem more 'even' regardless of volume.
I really cant hear any difference. Was thinking it was disabled along with the master tunings on these new units.

brandall10

I really cant hear any difference. Was thinking it was disabled along with the master tunings on these new units.

I don't think it's a separate feature per se, just how the DSP is turned to equalize sound power to user perception at low volumes (ie. if it's part of the master tunings, it's likely adopting the same algo throughout). It's not really something to 'hear', it's just to reduce any apparent LE dropout at low volume.

The master tunings are not disabled, just incompatible w/ the platin hub update causing speaker lock issues. Only the main master tuning has been updated to address this bug, taking Mads at his word the other ones will be updating in the coming weeks.

I just ran a basic test with some music that has a fair bit of low end info (Solange's Don't Touch my Hair). It's set to 35/100 on Roon, measured by my Apple Watch to be 55 db at the main listening position 10 foot from the speakers.

If I go to my mudroom at the other corner of my square condo (about 30 ft from the speakers), with no direct line of sight and 2 closed doors, I can barely hear any audio. But I can detect the rumble from the bass.

Last edited:

brandall10

I mean there was 8 pages of discussion on this and it's not even an Amir review! That's pretty good. If Amir ever reviews the A500(or better yet, A700), I bet there will be substantial interest. I honestly had considered the Buchardt actives myself but ended up going with Genelec. Mostly because they were cheap in Canada(I paid only about $650/ea more for 8351Bs than A500s) and Buchardt doesn't have any good center option.

As mentioned in my initial post to this thread a few days ago, I also considered the the 8351Bs and could have gotten them for a similar price shipped from France (well, about $500 more). But with the addition of a streamer + subs they would be 2x the price regardless, the UX would be worse, and they'd take up more space, and at that point I might as well just do the D&D 8c. Undoubtedly worth it though for pure audio performance, just not a great fit for me in the end.

Note that I'm one of those who really bought into the promise of the LS50W and had a set I mostly enjoyed since shortly after they were launched, but wished for more LE and a better UX, and of course measurements since I've found ASR during that time... so to move away from that convenience it has to be super compelling and not too far off from that cost envelope.

Yes, no Amir review, but napilopez is a respected member providing measurements for a host of speakers here... considering the crazy amount of activity in the S400 thread and how a speaker like this is more fitting for this community I would expect a lot more activity on this forum for a 9 month old product.

Last edited:

sharock

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Buchardt wireless subwoofer to pair with the A500s. Not that I need more bass but it might provide lower distortion bass and give more headroom to the A500?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking forward to the upcoming Buchardt wireless subwoofer to pair with the A500s. Not that I need more bass but it might provide lower distortion bass and give more headroom to the A500?
I was always skeptical of the wireless subwoofer option in general. Wondered how the time delay (and potentially be out of synch with the a500s) would be handled to not add to an already difficult task of EQing and getting the low end right.

mSpot

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Buchardt uses the WISA wireless interface. If you play A500s + subwoofer over WISA, there should be no synchronization issues. WISA claims multi-speaker sync to one-millionth of a second: https://www.wisaassociation.org/about-wisa/our-technology/
Sure it does.
MQA promised lossless too.
Do i need to mention the benefits of expensive cables?
If wisa even got the basics right (a continuous wifi connection) I might, just maybe, be less of a skeptic.
I'll wait for others to be the guinea pig on WISA subwoofer integration before I am willing to open up my wallet. :)

mSpot

If wisa even got the basics right (a continuous wifi connection) I might, just maybe, be less of a skeptic.
I'll wait for others to be the guinea pig on WISA subwoofer integration before I am willing to open up my wallet. :)
Are you running the A500 wireless, and do you perceive any sync issue between the left/right speakers? I don't see why subwoofer sync would be any more of a concern than wireless sync between the main speakers. In any case, I very much doubt that the Buchardt subwoofer will be wireless-only.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you running the A500 wireless, and do you perceive any sync issue between the left/right speakers? I don't see why subwoofer sync would be any more of a concern than wireless sync between the main speakers. In any case, I very much doubt that the Buchardt subwoofer will be wireless-only.
yup running the a500 wireless. No perceived synch issues .... when they are both working and connected to wifi. Way too many dropouts for me. I am not impressed with the connection. The speakers? yes. The WISA unit, not so much. I have excellent, strong and reasonably fast wifi (500mb) with an equidistant direct line of sight from the wifi mesh unit and the set of speakers. They form a right triangle with the WISA box at the 90 degree point.
Agree regarding the sub may not be wifi only. I suspect we will see an updated wireless box with sub out maybe since the speakers do not have sub outs?

brandall10

There is a fair bit of difference between random dropouts and clock sync issues with the various devices linked to the hub - the latter is deterministic and adjustable for known latencies due to processing time from the DSP in the speakers themselves. The former requires mitigation strategies such as buffering. It doesn't seem anything would be gained w/ hard-wired sub connections in an already wireless system.

Also MQA and cables are essentially money grabs. This is an engineering problem that needs no snake oil explanation.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also MQA and cables are essentially money grabs. This is an engineering problem that needs no snake oil explanation.[/QUOTE said:
Just being a smart ass with those comments. Not meaning to open up a rat hole i hope you understand.,

mSpot

How do you kbow a Buchardt sub is coming? What is the release date?
In January email to customers about upcoming products:
Subwoofer 510 This is a 10" powerful shallow subwoofer. It would have 500watt and a very potent 10" woofer. It would have built in room correction (meaning it does not require the hub for room correction) and would be suited for both a wired passive setup, but also for a WiSA (wireless) setup. It would be quite discrete with a pretty flat design so it would not be as intrusive as a normal square sub in your living room.​
Given the massive disruptions across the electronics industry, I wouldn't expect it before the end of the year. Follow developments on Facebook.

holicst

Subwoofer 510 This is a 10" powerful shallow subwoofer. It would have 500watt and a very potent 10" woofer. It would have built in room correction (meaning it does not require the hub for room correction) and would be suited for both a wired passive setup, but also for a WiSA (wireless) setup. It would be quite discrete with a pretty flat design so it would not be as intrusive as a normal square sub in your living room.​
Given the massive disruptions across the electronics industry, I wouldn't expect it before the end of the year. Follow developments on Facebook.
Thank you!

mSpot

BTW, just last month Mads ran a poll on Facebook asking whether people preferred the subwoofer to be more compact or larger/more powerful, so it is still in early development (compact won the poll by a wide margin).

Top Bottom