• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A10 Active Speakers

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I understand, RobL, you see the cabinet wrongly assembled, right? What Buchardt said, is: "The cabinets are made out of 19mm solid wood that is CNC machined into perfect pieces and then assembled by experienced and passionate woodworkers." No [little] idea what that means in detail but believe concerns made up here are not correctly justified at this stage. Questionning as to whether or not Buchardt people understand their cabinet construction. However, beside of that, the A10 might ne a "cool" speaker :)
No worries, looks like a nice speaker. :)
Buchardt has very nice products and “solid wood cabinets” is a nice bullet point on an anniversary product. They should be cautious though (imho) lest they create some warranty headaches that needn’t be. D&D built solid wood cabinets for their 8C and they weren’t without issues either as this post recently demonstrated.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have only had one 8C enclosure crack and that belonged to @Dialectic of this very forum, I believe D&D replaced it immediately,
Never heard any creaks or cracks either for that matter.
Keith

YSC

Major Contributor
I have only had one 8C enclosure crack and that belonged to @Dialectic of this very forum, I believe D&D replaced it immediately,
Never heard any creaks or cracks either for that matter.
Keith
but TBH solid wood being natural material, is more prone to such issues, not sure about MDF longevity or change through time though, my last pair of KEF X300A being used in tropical climate and surely not air cond 24/7 did survive like 7 years before the amp and connector failed

goat76

Major Contributor
The longevity seems to be questionable with solid wood cabinets, especially for us who lives in areas with a lot of temperature and humidity changes over the year.

There are a lot of changes to my wooden neck guitars over the year, I often hear creaks and cracks from them when they have stayed untuned for a while.

Last edited:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A single Purifi woofer, with "real wood" cabinet should cost much more than a couple of SB Acoustics midwoofers.
You hear a big difference between A500 vs A500 SE? I don't mean quality, more a different sound, timbre?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't mean quality, more a different sound, timbre?
What do you mean, then ? Different sound means different quality. ;)

A500 SE stock MT sounds mostly similar to regular A500 with Theoretical Flat (New) MT. Meaning: almost textbook flat FR anechoic. Midrange directivity acts a bit differently since the Purifi front woofer is crossed higher. Bass is as deep at moderate SPLs, but more defined and tight (less distortion). Now, when you crank up the volume, the Signature does have both less compression and more output before the limiter. That's it.

While not "neutral", I liked a lot the Neutral Stock MT from regular A500, but it is not available with Signature. The only MT I use with the latter is the Theoretical Stock. I wasn't a fan (at all) of others.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Buchardt is launching new active speakers called the A10. Looks similar to their other active speakers, but with an no rear woofer, an updated tweeter and real hardwood enclosures. 10 year warranty. Launches 5/24.

"This is otherwise a typical problem ... that makes them sound harsh and unforgiving."

The more I see from the company in question the less I'm tempted to let them go. Let's have a glance at the tweeter.

"With the break-up frequency outside the hearing range ..." -- this is standard since decades, guys. It would be a challenge to find an alu dome that hasn't it's break-up above 20k.

Another company implements a true geometrical stiffening of the dome to achieve a break-up frequency way beyond of what is exected from even diamond. They sell it individually as replacement for 30$.

"The Purifi woofer is a technologically wonderchild ..." -- I doubt it; high excursion with a woof/mid driver should be held against the unavoidable phase aka Doppler distortion, see also https://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm#J ( In case this overwhelms you, how could you assume that you discriminate advertizing blurb from tech/ info correctly?)

I don't know what you gain from announcing new speaker release announcements every other day. Where's the need, you're not satisfied with your current equipment?

djw.cloud

True :D, still would be interesting to know why they didn't go for a port or passive radiator especially in such a single woofer configuration.
Feedback from the DIY community has been that the Purifi Audio PTT6.5X04-NFA-01 6.5" loudspeaker driver benefits from having a big port or being used in a closed design. According to their experiences and observations, using a big port allows for enhanced low-frequency response and extended bass output. On the other hand, opting for a closed design provides tighter and more accurate bass reproduction, albeit with a roll-off in the low-frequency range. Ultimately, the choice between a big port or a closed design depends on the specific requirements, available enclosure space, and desired bass characteristics of the speaker system.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Feedback from the DIY community has been that the Purifi Audio PTT6.5X04-NFA-01 6.5" loudspeaker driver benefits from having a big port or being used in a closed design. According to their experiences and observations, using a big port allows for enhanced low-frequency response and extended bass output.
Also very important higher SPL and lower distortion at the port tuning range.
Ultimately, the choice between a big port or a closed design depends on the specific requirements, available enclosure space, and desired bass characteristics of the speaker system.
Of course, these are known facts, what would interest me is why they opted for this way.

djw.cloud

Also very important higher SPL and lower distortion at the port tuning range.

Of course, these are known facts, what would interest me is why they opted for this way.
Seems like a sealed active version has some flexibility in placement.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Seems like a sealed active version has some flexibility in placement.
No, as most probably that thingy is e/q'ed anyway. Why do you avoid to answer the question you brought up yourself?

Problem is that in case you want to exploit the high excursion capabilities the port has to be huge in order to avoid cuffing. A passive drone woud be exceptionally heavy and hence would make the box rattle when moving.

Next problem is Doppler distortion, see post #29. Bass reflex aka ported doesn't help that much either.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what you gain from announcing new speaker release announcements every other day. Where's the need, you're not satisfied with your current equipment?
OK. I'm also wondering what is the need for this argument exactly? o_O
The more I see from the company in question the less I'm tempted to let them go. Let's have a glance at the tweeter.
It's OK. You don't like Buchardt, which is pretty clear regarding any comments you made about their products. And this, by deliberately ignoring objective performance of some of their speakers, as I guess that you never actually listened to anything from them. Maybe someday you will give an audition at A500SE, A500 or A700 and realize how wrong you are. Anyway...

Something is weird here. Mads Buchardt says that the amp is a new one (presumably FDA, which I honestly don't see the point for), while we are still dealing with the Platin backplate module:
Screenshot_20230524-115118~3.png

Did Platin released a new model since? I will ask him directly. As I will about the "upgraded" tweeter compatibility for the existing line.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Next problem is Doppler distortion, see post #29. Bass reflex aka ported doesn't help that much either.
Of course it does, in the port tuning region it can significantly reduce the woofer membrane deflection for the same SPL (ideally like a second woofer)

fineMen

Major Contributor
OK. I'm also wondering what is the need for this argument exactly? o_O

It's OK. You don't like Buchardt, ...
And you post huge pictures of their product. May I condense your argument to its essence? "You don't need to use arguments, because the fact that you dislike Burchardt disqualifies you anyway!"

I gave some hints on why their product cannot compete with others. I never held their internet based fan base against them. You advise me to better do so?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And you post huge pictures of their product.
Yes, as I do for many, many, other brands. What of it?
Buchardt in particular, as kind of a
satisfied customer (mostly, I also tell when something simply sucks. Such as the Hub reliability, or the last MT updates for A500SE), that knows their active speakers quite a bit, owning a couple of pairs for the last three years.
This upcoming A10 in particular, I have no idea. Let's just see how it will measure...
"You don't need to use arguments, because the fact that you dislike Burchardt disqualifies you anyway!"
Nope. Just that you come with the same arguments, about the "poor" parts they use and supposedly bad design, but deny the actual reality: that their finished active speakers just perform. Period. The fact that you personally do not like the brand (again, did you ever audition a Buchardt speaker, anyway?), I could not care less. ;)

I gave some hints on why their product cannot compete with others
What are the others? What is the product?

Last edited:

fineMen

Major Contributor
Nope. Just that you come with the same arguments, about the "poor" parts they use and supposedly bad design, but deny the actual reality: that their finished active speakers just perform.
What are the others? What is the product?

I remind you of my post #29. It conveys my concerns about the marketing strategies of B. They are addressing the same demographic as many other brands. Only that they have slanted baffle and (clearly oversized) waveguide. Most of their advertizing reads as usual, read: questionable. For some reason they got the hype running.

Objectively the directivity doesn't compete with even the smallest, even cheaper models from Neuman or Genelec to name just the most obvious.

More specifically, I don't dismiss their efforts, which I couldn't care less for, but rather that it eventually took off. How easy it is to convince people.

Btw, I never said "poor parts" but I said "mediocre design of no further merit" and I gave reasons for that personal opinionated verdict. Regarding the performance I recommend a more critical, more comparative view on it. It's your freedom to find an appropriate attitude.

OP
R

RMW_NJ

I have a 128 (now 129) posts in over 3 years as a member of this forum, so I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

Top Bottom