• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buchardt A10 Active Speakers

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Mads Buchardt any chance of providing the spin data of all your speakers to @pierre 's Spinorama.org? I know there are several master tunings on the active ones, so maybe just the default one? Would be awesome as your speakers measure so well. Thanks for considering this.
@Mads Buchardt already shared some Spins by email on demand for some speakers (at least the A500 SE, see the dedicated thread).

For now, we could either rely on this :
1000026017.png

...Or wait for Erin, who (will?) receive(d) a pair for review, from what I understood. I'm sure he will measure several MTs as he already did for the A500.

Reactions: ENG

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but adding them to Spinorama.org we can add them to overlay comparisons which is really nice. And when measurement excellence is a strong point of their speakers, it only works in their favour.

I know they have not been using Klippel NFS but KEF also does not and yet we have their spins published there as manufacturer supplied data. Even better when Pierre adds Erin NFS measurements to a speaker later.

But the point is having them all there to play with. As a company I would see this a free marketing, so why not? :)

DearSX

Hope we get a full measurement soon. I'm already keeping mine. I decided I like it more than my others speakers in terms of sound and really like the convenience of a powered speaker. I have it connected to my TV > DAC > WiiM Pro > Platin Hub running wireless. I may cut out the DAC soon with a WiiM Pro+.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have it connected to my TV > DAC > WiiM Pro > Platin Hub running wireless. I may cut out the DAC soon with a WiiM Pro+.
This path is... not right. There's absolutely no need for any DAC, whatever how great it is, if you intend to use the wireless Hub at the end... ;)

Last edited:

DearSX

This path is... not right. There's absolutely no need for any DAC, whatever how great it is, if you intend to use the wireless Hub at the end... ;)

So the WiiM is the streamer, and it is sending the music to the DAC and then the DAC sends it to the Hub, otherwise the WiiM would be processing the data. I will try it without the DAC and let the hub do it, thanks!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the WiiM is the streamer, and it is sending the music to the DAC and then the DAC sends it to the Hub, otherwise the WiiM would be processing the data.
I confirm that it is wrong. That way, what you're doing is Digital (WiiM), converted to Analog (DAC), and then converted to Digital again (Hub ADC, that is, by the way, not great)... You need to use the WiiM S/PDIF Out straight to the Hub.

Again: no DAC is needed in your chain. In fact, it's quite the opposite: you're degrading the chain performance. ;)

Ziltoe

Hope we get a full measurement soon. I'm already keeping mine. I decided I like it more than my others speakers in terms of sound and really like the convenience of a powered speaker. I have it connected to my TV > DAC > WiiM Pro > Platin Hub running wireless. I may cut out the DAC soon with a WiiM Pro+.
Yes please, that's what you've said, and you've got it entierly right.

inbox4

Are the A10s an enjoyable listen with all types of music?

A while ago, I had some KEF LS50 speakers that excelled at acoustic and vocal music but were less impactful with rock, hip-hop and EDM. I replaced them with some KEF R5 speakers which were enjoyable with all genres of music.

Does the A10 excel at any particular genre or is it equally enjoyable with everything? - specifically heavier music like rock, hip-hop and EDM?

Also, how would the A10 compare to a speaker like the R5? The specs show the A10 has deeper bass compared to the R5. Does this render the floorstander/ bookshelf considerations irrelevant or would the R5 still offer a larger, more physically impactful sound?

(My room is 2.5m x 3.5m x 2.3m)

DearSX

I think they do sound good with all kinds of music and movies, but they are limited output wise compared to large speakers. I can say compared to my Concept 50 which are a similar size to the Kef R5, the A10s have a lot more lower bass. They also have built in EQ options bass output levels can be controlled as desired.

I tend to listen at about 60% volume when gaming and about 70% with music. One thing that is great is that I have very limit boomy-ness to the bass. I got rid of my Polk R700 and other large speakers cause it was too much boom and not enough texture, EQ may have helped.

What I like the most about the speaker is that its a complete package for moderate volume, which is what I mostly use, I have not used by amp, pre-amp or DAC in months. Just my WiiM Pro to the Platin hub now. I do wish for more output sometimes, so I will likely buy louder speakers at some point in the future, but for now I don't need that 85% of the time.

My room is 7m x 3.6m x 2.5 m, but I only sit about 2m from the speakers.

Last edited:

inbox4

I think they do sound good with all kinds of music and movies, but they are limited output wise compared to large speakers. I can say compared to my Concept 50 which are a similar size to the Kef R5, the A10s have a lot more lower bass. They also have built in EQ options bass output levels can be controlled as desired.

I tend to listen at about 60% volume when gaming and about 70% with music. One thing that is great is that I have very limit boomy-ness to the bass. I got rid of my Polk R700 and other large speakers cause it was too much boom and not enough texture, EQ may have helped.

What I like the most about the speaker is that its a complete package for moderate volume, which is what I mostly use, I have not used by amp, pre-amp or DAC in months. Just my WiiM Pro to the Platin hub now. I do wish for more output sometimes, so I will likely buy louder speakers at some point in the future, but for now I don't need that 85% of the time.

My room is 7m x 3.6m x 2.5 m, but I only sit about 2m from the speakers.
Thanks for your interesting reply. Do you know what sort of measured volumes you listen at where you find yourself wanting more from them? I think I'm starting to swing more towards the S400 mk2 now.

Why do you use a Wiim Pro with your Platin hub, which features do you find the Platin hub is missing? Tidal Connect is the obvious one, but as a Roon user, I think the hub would give me everything I needed.

DearSX

Thanks for your interesting reply. Do you know what sort of measured volumes you listen at where you find yourself wanting more from them? I think I'm starting to swing more towards the S400 mk2 now.

Why do you use a Wiim Pro with your Platin hub, which features do you find the Platin hub is missing? Tidal Connect is the obvious one, but as a Roon user, I think the hub would give me everything I needed.
I think I listen at 70-80d on average, so 75db most of the time with music and gaming, but sometimes I want to crank it up and "feel" the music more and dance etc. I know it can get louder if I put in another or it should automatically lower the base.

I use the WiiM to use Amazon HD music, not sure I how I can use that with the Platin hub at this point.

Top Bottom