• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Break from Tekton Thread

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Weekend looks to be two good (though "blue") flying days for me.

Saturday and Sunday, equal flight times. You can't do that on purpose.

1713141710385.png

Sunday was the better day, though.

Exceeded 6000 feet for the first time this year, here's a view.

The airport is to the left of the yaw string, 8.3 miles away. Tampa Bay on the distant center horizon.

It's more fun when there are clouds around. On a Blue Day there's no hint in the air where the lift will be found.

1713142976474.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What was the video, tho? Says unavailable....
Click on the link that says "Watch on Youtube." They have set the option to disallow playback elsewhere. :(

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is a great distraction from the new 24 Nights box set, not released on the original. Yeah, maybe you need to ignore the fashions of the era and the cheesy stage production, but man EC is wailing on that Strat (are those active pickups?) and the band just seems to love playing it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Rotten weekend here. Got a call Friday afternoon from across the world from my wife's dad with very bad news about her mom. She left yesterday and is now in Budapest. Prognosis uncertain at this point. I am here with the dogs who are a comfort. We had time to go for a hike yesterday morning, which was very nice.

View attachment 363834

Playing music is also a comfort when I can summon the courage.

View attachment 363835
I hope everything works out for the best for you, your wife and your family. Those sure are nice big dogs. :D

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that as well. Same with Japan.
Cosmetic dentistry is not a “thing” in the UK except some wealthy people, mainly girls.
If your genes dictate crooked teeth, that is what you will have. Like me ;)
I did consider getting something done when I got a bit more money but didn’t bother in the end.

Multicore

Major Contributor
We found snow and the doggo went nuts:
Love it. It's curious how entertaining it is to watch these behaviors. I assume they enjoy it because it looks that way but who knows. Here's my Lucy going bananas on a big heap of mulch.

NOTE: the audio is a completely unrelated clip from a podcast

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly, generalizations about any culture can be called insulting and inaccurate. However, one can at least make generalizations about "national dishes." For better or worse, England is associated with fish and chips. Last time I was in London (last year) I visited a wonderful 18th century pub called Rising Sun (the one on Windmill Street West). The service was impeccable and the clientele pretty much the same, with both interior and exterior design exuding English ambiance. So naturally I ordered fish and chips in the spirit of being immersed in Englishness. Oh my, that was a mistake. Mind, I'm not faulting Rising Sun. I'm sure they cooked the food exactly as it is to be cooked, but that greasy dish was very difficult to stomach. Will return to London in a couple days and, guaranteed, I won't be ordering fish and chips. I will definitely, however, be revisiting the wonderful Rising Sun pub!
Getting good fish and chips is difficult anywhere IME.

I was brought up in the north of England, near Fleetwood, where most fish and chip shops were pretty good and a few superb.
I have never had fish and chips I consider very good in London, despite living there for 3 years and trying a few recommended places, I gave up in the end.

As others have said it is regional and fishing ports which used to be prolific when I was a child are near fishless now.

One of the nicest in my experience (closed now) was in the harbour of the fishing village in Scotland my wife comes from. The haddock had been caught that day and many of the people in the queue were fishermen with fish they had caught to be fried.

Whilst it is still my favourite meal the one place that I frequented that was still excellent has changed hands and is now mediocre.

So I don’t eat it often any more.

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Love it. It's curious how entertaining it is to watch these behaviors. I assume they enjoy it because it looks that way but who knows. Here's my Lucy going bananas on a big heap of mulch.
They love it for sure. Dogs communicate their emotions and needs in the most fascinating ways, it's absolutely amazing to watch and participate in.

BTW Lucy is awesome, I can't get over how she's licking the stuff!!

Multicore

Major Contributor
They love it for sure. Dogs communicate their emotions and needs in the most fascinating ways, it's absolutely amazing to watch and participate in.
Yesterday I took L&Z to visit a friend who has two large German shepherd dogs, litter mates, and they have all been friends for years but we were entering their home and L&Z know they could be eviscerated in no time so they better be nice and boy did they make a show. If you videoed the first 5 minutes at 60 fps you could make two hours of classroom dog behavior training/analysis from it. It was intense and fascinating.

BTW Lucy is awesome, I can't get over how she's licking the stuff!!
Her slave name at the shelter was Candy. Come on! That's a stripper name. So when choosing a replacement one of the reasons was so I can say: I Love Lucy

CtheArgie

Forum Donor
It's the middle of the night here and after waking up to pee I can't get back to sleep. Here is at the edge of the Parque Internacional La Amistad which contains 400.000 hectares of primary forest in the Talamanca mountains which cut the Isthmus in two. There are Dantas, Sloths, Pumas and Jaguares, not to mention about 5 trillion ants -- literally. I am lucky to live not far from here in a small house on a bad road in the mountains with Tinamou, Toucans, 3 types of Parrots and Agoutis most days -- along with several million ants. I'm visiting this place for a kind of meeting. It is very quiet and dark. The bed is basic. The blanket warm because, yes, it does get cold in the tropics!

We are in the transition from the dry season, Summer, to the rainy season, Winter. And boy does it rain -- over 4 meters a year.The wind is blowing. It is very dark and brilliantly clear and nothing could be less relevant that HiFi controversies. I wonder what the Jaguares think of tweeter arrays, or speaker manufactures? Are they tasty?

¡Buenas noches a todos!
@Induna, you should try and follow the work of Alejandro Balaguer and his Fundacion Albatros. Alejandro is a friend of mine when we were kids....

napfkuchen

I could never watch Mr. Bean (his character somehow disgusted me), but the person behind it is also interesting. This film is from 1991 but is still current.

KellenVancouver

NOTE: the audio is a completely unrelated clip from a podcast

The simple joy of having fun. Loved it! A lesson in there for all of us...

The last time I was in London I ate at a nice Chinese restaurant, so Brit food can be good.

Attachments

• 20240415_145458.jpg
    20240415_145458.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom