• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Break from Tekton Thread

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Click on the link that says "Watch on Youtube." They have set the option to disallow playback elsewhere. :(
LOL didn't even notice (or try) the link since it said the video was unavailable....I had seen that recently. I also get Lost in the Pond videos in my feed, as well as JOLLY as well as a few similar others....

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No-one in Britain would eat that without adding red or brown sauce.

Or at the least some salt and vinegar. (Obviously you must avoid getting vinegar on the beans, this is a culinary skill in itself).

Also whoever prepared that is a beginner. There should be a sausage acting as a breakwater betwixt beans and fish-fingers.

Cup Of Beans:

Bwmr

A Jackie Chan movie is usually a good break.
I just discovered this one: "Shaolin Wooden Men", from 1976, when he was at his peak, martial art performance wise.
This showcases what he was capable of, before switching to his later "acrobatic-comedy" styles.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Saw this on the Polk forum. Seems like this thread is a good place to share it with all y'all (although of course I'd usually drop it into the humor thread). :)

1713218541417.jpeg

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG I'M IN LOVE

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the nicest in my experience (closed now) was in the harbour of the fishing village in Scotland my wife comes from. The haddock had been caught that day and many of the people in the queue were fishermen with fish they had caught to be fried.
Long article on such a decline below, I was starving at the end of the article.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Back from a week in NYC for work and pleasure. Central Park is in full bloom, survived the earthquake and viewed the eclipse along the Hudson River and Chinatown. Here's a page from the Gutenberg Bible for your amusement.

IMG_5608.jpg

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
We were just down in NoVA (Alexandria, VA, specifically) for a few days visiting our son & daughter-in-law. Beautiful down there already. Got home & our lawn's starting to turn green. There was still some snow in the shadow-y areas of our property when we left.

We went up to Pittsburgh, NH (way up north) for the Eclipse Thing. Conditions were perfect and the view was superb.
I shared photos elsewhere, but the post above from @DWPress gives me an excuse to share another. :)

Oh. The next night, I happened to espy the just-past-new moon fairly low in the western sky around dusk on another spectacular evening (two in a row -- not a common event in northern New England in April! ;) ).

Not a great photo by any means, and I had to goose it a bit - which changed the color balance - but at least it illustrates the illumination of the mostly shadowed Earth-facing side of the moon by Earthshine. ;)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Long article on such a decline below, I was starving at the end of the article.
In the north where I was brought up and did my apprenticeship all the local chip shops I ever went to cooked in beef dripping.
I didn't discover that cooking oil was even a feasible alternative (it isn't really ;)) until I moved south.

I get F&C from a mobile van which is here every Thursday, I have had a standing order for many years now. Darren cooks in oil, I have tried to convert him but he just says it is far too expensive and anyway there are vegetatian customers.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When events prove too agitating, I fall back on my old friend, Mother Nature. I try to walk 5 miles every day ... weather permitting. I find it enormously calming. This is one of my favorite trails:

This was last fall.

Jim
From the weekend...

IMG_0670.jpg

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_6626.jpeg

These guys were having a swimming lesson this morning. The still doesn’t capture the insistent noise mum was making - like the goose equivalent of a rowing cox!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Another tidbit from our recent outing (or, as I like to call them: Mid-Atlantic Coastal Slogs) from NH to VA and back.
Being older Americans, Mrs. H and I require relatively frequent (ca. 1-1/2 to 2 hour interval) stops when traveling by auto for several old-person-appropriate reasons. Being set in our ways in many respects, our stops tend to be at the same waypoints, year after year.
One such waypoint is "The Vince Lombardi truckstop"* -- which, as some of you may know, isn't a truck stop per se but a rest area at the northern periphery of the New Jersey Turnpike "system", just a wee distance from NY. Yesterday I picked up a brochure there that caught my eye.
Another waypoint is a state-operated rest area at Exit 2 on I-84 northbound in CT, just past the NY/CT border. There, another brochure caught my eye.

Thought I'd share them here as another fun :rolleyes::cool: distraction from arachnoid tweeter arrays and other tectonic issues. ;) :facepalm:

I don't know about all y'all, but I am seeing a real opportunity for a Mid-Atlantic Gustatory tour here.

* In the 1980s, one of my professors, the late Dennis Powers, studied (among other things) evolutionary biology in a species of north American killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. His lab was interested in the expression of different isoforms of metabolic enzymes such as ADH (alcohol dehydrogenase) as a function of water temperature. As I recall, the brackish ponds near "the Vince" (as my family fondly calls the above-mentioned turnpike rest area) were at or near the northern extreme of habitat for these little fish.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it his review of the Klipsch Heresy?
No, the Gutenberg that actually matters - you know, voted "man of the millennium" guy....

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
meh, RL, at least weather wise in the last two weeks, was just like the thread this one's trying to escape from...
we went from mexico-filters (sahara sands blasting central EU), to the hottest measuring april day in history, to the highest measuring temperature dip in history (26+ or even 27+ degrees C in a single day, including snowy rains today)

someone tell me more about the climate going haywire myths again, please...:facepalm:

Top Bottom