• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

boXem ARTHUR 2408/N2 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 141 59.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 36.6%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, that's what you mean. Well, this is more like an average music power rating, mostly for thermal reasons, as the note states:
Typically, this is 1/5 of the peak output power. Apply sufficient cooling.
Also, the note at max power states:
The stimulus signal is a continuous 1 kHz sine wave. The true rms output voltage is measured across a load resistor. Max output power is time limited due to thermal properties
So there is no reason to think that for music content, it will not reach the 125W stated. The typical crest factor of music is like 15 dB, so if you reach 125W peaks, your average will only be like 4W.

Martin3508

Ah, c'est ce que tu veux dire. Eh bien, cela ressemble plus à une puissance musicale moyenne, principalement pour des raisons thermiques, comme l' indique la note :

De plus, la note à la puissance maximale indique :

Il n’y a donc aucune raison de penser que pour le contenu musical, il n’atteindra pas les 125W annoncés. Le facteur de crête typique de la musique est d'environ 15 dB, donc si vous atteignez des pics de 125 W, votre moyenne ne sera que de 4 W.
it will reach them yes but a few milliseconds, traditionally we refer to the continuous power to estimate the power of an amp, right? My Quad 306 is advertised as 2x50w at 8ohms on the sales brochures and in the technical documents we find the mention “continuous power” 2x50w at 8ohms…

Martin3508

Ok, so the problem is not this amp, thanks for the clarification.
but I don't think my amp is a problem, it's just that I listen to music at high volume and it seems to me that it is not strong enough for long, high listening sessions. I have Denton's 85s for your information and I have a woofer that is burnt out. I'm very curious to know if it's because of too much power or if the amp is clipping. or if the Whaferdale made in China is not good :) it's also possible... In any case with my Quad 306 you can clearly hear when the speaker is receiving too much juice and it's very practical for judging its capacity. with the nc122mp it’s not at all obvious. well I am aware that in what I say the real problem is that I should get louder speakers :D

Snoopy

Major Contributor
but I don't think my amp is a problem, it's just that I listen to music at high volume and it seems to me that it is not strong enough for long, high listening sessions. I have Denton's 85s for your information and I have a woofer that is burnt out. I'm very curious to know if it's because of too much power or if the amp is clipping. or if the Whaferdale made in China is not good :) it's also possible... In any case with my Quad 306 you can clearly hear when the speaker is receiving too much juice and it's very practical for judging its capacity. with the nc122mp it’s not at all obvious. well I am aware that in what I say the real problem is that I should get louder speakers :D

But this is kinda the wrong place to ask these questions.

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Would you have chosen an amplifier with clipping indicator, you would know ;).

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I really wish this was not discontinued.

Affordable and high quality.

Forced to buy Topping amps - sigh
It was not selling. Not at all...
A victim of the "slap a NCxxxMP module in whatever box and sell it at the lowest price without even checking if the temperatures are acceptable" war :(.

Music1969

Major Contributor
It was not selling. Not at all...
A victim of the "slap a NCxxxMP module in whatever box and sell it at the lowest price without even checking if the temperatures are acceptable" war :(.
The first part i believe but disappointing if true

Second part surely a joke / sarcasm ?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The first part i believe but disappointing if true

Second part surely a joke / sarcasm ?
We tried to make a product that would be more competitively priced as a replacement for the 2408. We started with the same concept as the one from the usual suspects: module installed flat in a small box. Temperatures were already out of control when idling. Solutions were a bigger box - higher cost - or a different installation - trickier to assemble = higher cost - so the project was dumped.

Music1969

Major Contributor
We tried to make a product that would be more competitively priced as a replacement for the 2408. We started with the same concept as the one from the usual suspects: module installed flat in a small box. Temperatures were already out of control when idling. Solutions were a bigger box - higher cost - or a different installation - trickier to assemble = higher cost - so the project was dumped.
Thanks for clarifying.

I wasn't sure if it was sarcastic because restorer john mentioned in the Class D threat that Boxem and March Audio are the only brands he recommends

But obviously he wasn't talking about the discontinued model, he meant the current production

Redwine

A shame it ends here, run for the lowest price no matter what! If I get it right, due to heat v cost, only Purify survices?

Top Bottom