• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers for high end 7-car garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Stahly

I want some advice for two or four speakers mounted off the walls on mounts I will have custom made for my garage. I assume I need four if you think a pair will work better yet. The garage is and odd shape so I am thinking (4) Revel 126be's and maybe two small subs but really do not want anything on the floor since I want to use my blowers and even power washer to keep is super clean.

I have a pair of 126be on my patio/pool that I had clear coated with waterproof clear that we put garbage bags on them when it is going to rain and bring them in for the winter here in IL. They are powered by a Krell S-500i and sound great no need for a sub really and they are outside I believe in an enclosed garage they will sound better. I am open to other speakers but the only thing I can think of are B&W 805's and since I have a home full or Revel 328be, 426be & F208's will probably stick with the 126be unless someone has a better idea. Thinking of putting a pair on the wall at the top with the fridge and the opposite wall with the Rapide car.

No critical listening although I want it to sound very good like I am accustomed to. Mainly will turn on a race on the three Sony 85's and just hang out messing with my bikes or cars and listen to some music also. I guess my biggest question is if a pair is needed or two pair the power will be Krell and more than enough power fed to them. Thank you
Garage with cars moved 2' SE 10 1 23.jpg

Attachments

• Garage with cars moved 2' SE•.jpg
    Garage with cars moved 2' SE•.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 39

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats on a very nice garage.

The easy answer is yes, you can go with the Revel 126 Be and I'm sure it'll be great.

That said, for something like this, you're less focused on sound stage and more focused on tonality and SPL. This is where industrial solutios from companies like Meyer Sound may work. There are predictive tools like this. If you roughly have the four speakers for your top two TVs in your drawing, and nothing near the Rapide, if you were to sit at the rapide, and had all of the speakers going...

1695781471191.png

1695781523043.png

And even though these speakers should be linearly flat, by the time all of these speakers interact (NOT counting the walls), this is what you get.

1695781561424.png

And even if you just had the to speakers going,
1695781723342.png

1695781744462.png

But if you just used one speaker when you were really far away
1695781777395.png

1695781787936.png

TimF

Forum Donor
What's the ceiling height? I'm so curious. Can he get a movable parking lift in there to increase the number of cars in the space? How much of a cavern is this space?

OP
T

Terry Stahly

Congrats on a very nice garage.

The easy answer is yes, you can go with the Revel 126 Be and I'm sure it'll be great.

That said, for something like this, you're less focused on sound stage and more focused on tonality and SPL. This is where industrial solutios from companies like Meyer Sound may work. There are predictive tools like this. If you roughly have the four speakers for your top two TVs in your drawing, and nothing near the Rapide, if you were to sit at the rapide, and had all of the speakers going...

View attachment 315021
View attachment 315022

And even though these speakers should be linearly flat, by the time all of these speakers interact (NOT counting the walls), this is what you get.

View attachment 315023

And even if you just had the to speakers going,
View attachment 315024
View attachment 315025

But if you just used one speaker when you were really far away
View attachment 315026
View attachment 315027
The ceiling height is 9' 2" I was planning on putting two at the top wall where the fridge is and two by the Rapide the illustrations show two at the top wall and two by the left wall by the Alfa 101 to help fill the room. I will take all the advice I can get. Thank you.

Looneybomber

They are powered by a Krell S-500i and sound great no need for a sub really and they are outside I believe in an enclosed garage they will sound better.
Be aware that all the reflective surfaces in the garage will muddle up the sound. Outside, there are few walls to deal with, so it’s easy to get good quality sound, although hard to get good bass.

Waxx

Major Contributor
I would also go more for pro audio speakers, Meyer Sound, Function One and Danley Labs have all speakers that are made to be hang to a stand of ceiling, and are fit for big spaces with not so high ceilings (bars and small nightclubs). Revel speakers are fragile and ment for living room situations, not outdoor or in workshops/garages.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I am not looking for the same kind of sound that I have in my family room. Merely the best sound within reason for my garage. There will be no critical listening mainly Tidal playing my playlists or watching a football game or motorsports on the TV's but not watching closely just background. I am looking more for an atmosphere that when I am in my garage or with a buddy out there 3 TV's are on with much better sound than most would expect in a garage. My question is not about perfection just whether one pair of speakers or two are required for the best experience. I have a superb system in my home this is my garage albeit a very nice garage with good scenery a couple Ferrari's Aston's and AMG Mercedes SUV's with wonderful cabinets and epoxy floor some illuminated Ferrari, Aston and Alfa signs a serious man cave.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I would also go more for pro audio speakers, Meyer Sound, Function One and Danley Labs have all speakers that are made to be hang to a stand of ceiling, and are fit for big spaces with not so high ceilings (bars and small nightclubs). Revel speakers are fragile and ment for living room situations, not outdoor or in workshops/garages.
My garage will be nicer than many peoples living room. Air conditioned with ultra violet filters and air purification systems on the HVAC. Spotless I might add, I have been using Revel 126be outdoors for six months with no issues nothing touched them and they will be just fine indoors no rugged speakers needed for this space. I keep mentioning I do not want pro sound just excellent sound for a garage which the 126be's provide. If I need more I can add a smallish sub or two.

levimax

Major Contributor
My experience is for a large space like that horn speakers can both put out enough SPL to fill the space with sound and excellent. I had some vintage Klipsch speakers which I didn't think sounded good in the house but were great in the garage. Maybe JBL M2?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not looking for the same kind of sound that I have in my family room. Merely the best sound within reason for my garage. There will be no critical listening mainly Tidal playing my playlists or watching a football game or motorsports on the TV's but not watching closely just background. I am looking more for an atmosphere that when I am in my garage or with a buddy out there 3 TV's are on with much better sound than most would expect in a garage. My question is not about perfection just whether one pair of speakers or two are required for the best experience. I have a superb system in my home this is my garage albeit a very nice garage with good scenery a couple Ferrari's Aston's and AMG Mercedes SUV's with wonderful cabinets and epoxy floor some illuminated Ferrari, Aston and Alfa signs a serious man cave.

Honestly, with the money we all presume you have, you should hire a company like Meyer Sound to make something special for you (and share it with us so we can live vicariously through you!). I am just a hobbyist who started playing with MAPP XT (this software) after picking up a Meyer Sound Amie.

1695833105761.png
1695833125901.png

and listening from your Audi Q8
1695833162794.png

ErVikingo

In my garage i use Monitor Audio in ceiling. Sounds good enough for when I'm working on the cars/bikes. i run it from a Control4 system.

I went with 11' finished height to better fit the lifts.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

Honestly, with the money we all presume you have, you should hire a company like Meyer Sound to make something special for you (and share it with us so we can live vicariously through you!). I am just a hobbyist who started playing with MAPP XT (this software) after picking up a Meyer Sound Amie.

View attachment 315179View attachment 315180

and listening from your Audi Q8
View attachment 315183
Not knowing anything about the software it appears from your last drawing the best sound will come from the placement I was already going to do which is common sense and does not really require in depth study but thank you it confirms what I thought. Just because I have funds does not mean I want to spend a ton of money on speakers in the garage. A couple pair of 126be bought used for $2,500 ea will produce very good sound for my needs.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not knowing anything about the software it appears from your last drawing the best sound will come from the placement I was already going to do which is common sense and does not really require in depth study but thank you it confirms what I thought. Just because I have funds does not mean I want to spend a ton of money on speakers in the garage. A couple pair of 126be bought used for $2,500 ea will produce very good sound for my needs.

+1. Yes, I've been to "garages" which are more like luxury lounges with the cars on display like museum showcases and then there are garages which are just garages full of storage boxes and Christmas decorations, and everything in between. I agree that it only makes sense to go with Meyer Sound if it's a primary listening area like your home theater.

I have sent Amir the Meyer Sound Amie which I plugged into that simulation, and the Amie's have a narrower dispersion than the Revel's. It'll just be a matter of SPL you need.

Here's the other thread I started. The Amie's are 3x the cost (!)

Waxx

Major Contributor
I know just one thing, those Revels are good but are too small to fill such a space with music. You will need a few pair of them. That's why pro audio speakers are better here. They are better suited for bigger spaces than those Revels, even if the size is similar.

raindance

Major Contributor
Some of those JBL CBT series J-arrays that Amir measured perhaps or some Renkus Heinz steerable columnar arrays (Iconyx series). You will need a few subs too. By using controlled directivity you can minimize reflections and get a decent sound.

Shiva

Get a pair or two of the Klipsch Cornwall 4’s, or the latest LaScalas, with a sub or two.

OP
T

Terry Stahly

Two pair of Revel 126be, dual SVS 3000 in-wall subs, Marantz AV8805 and Krell or Mac 4 to 5-channel will provide an impressive audio experience. Not into measurements I already have s similar set up on my patio outdoors with one pair and no sub and it is very good. The system I have already started buying will not fail to provide the sound I am looking for while being relatively indiscreet.

Martini

Forum Donor
Terry, why are you asking for advice? You obviously have your mind set on the Revels. Despite other options/suggestions provided by knowledgable people, those going out of there way and providing measurement profiles, for no pay, you disregard them and state measurements aren't important to you. So what is the point of this? It seems you just want to boast about being able to put Revels and Krell in your garage. Are you needing affirmation of you success from others? If not, then why disregard their advice?

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I most certainly don’t need approval or affirmation from people on this or any other forum. I asked for some alternative speakers that I may have missed but the only ones that have been brought up are Meyer Sound.

I have been at this and many other interests for fifty years and know a thing or two about high-end audio. Excellent products have a way of becoming well known by those seeking the best of the best. Leading publications like Absolute Sound, Stereophile and a plethora of other reviewers have virtually nothing on these speakers that an internet search shows they been in business for forty years.

Somehow this miraculous product has been completely missed by everyone on the planet when it comes to home audio except some people on ASR. That does not pass the smell test.

There are any number of speakers that can serve my purpose and anyone on here or anywhere who says that Revel or B & W speakers and some others are not very high-quality speakers which produce excellent sound has zero credibility.

Like I said I was wondering if there was something I was missing but I am not going to take the bait on some eight-thousand-dollar speakers that nobody has ever heard of. Not today folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom