• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers for 6-car Garage Revel 126be's? or what else

Martini

Forum Donor
Terry, since you're considering the F126be, you appear not to be looking for large speakers. I would seriously look into the Genelec series of monitors. They are quite good! They are self-powered, which eliminates the need for an amp and running speaker wire. You just need a decent DAC, such as a Benchmark DAC3 HGC or REM ADI-2 DAC FS (which has some EQ ability), run some balanced XLR interconnect cable to the speakers and power them up. It might be wise to consult an acoustics firm to determine if you will need any acoustic treatment. Large hard surface locations like a garage can be very reverberant.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like an awesome garage....not something I'd ever want (but do have a 2-car garage dedicated to bicycles :) ). Just what are the dimensions of that space and what subs will you use with those small bookshelf speakers?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Since I work in this field and do jobs like this I will chime in with some general advice. The practical solutions are different than getting bigger speakers like concert style. CBT had advantages and disadvantages.

Larger areas are typically better served by using more speakers so you get more consistent coverage and not too loud on one side and not loud enough on the other. This is assuming you want good sound everywhere as compared to a smaller listening area like 1 or 2 bays. Sound usually gets mixed to mono as a stereo field and separation is tough to maintain when using multiple speakers for better coverage.

If you are trying to use a specific speaker but multiples of them an acoustician will get their radiation characteristics and come up with a plan to get the best sound with good coverage. Acoustic treatments also plays a big role as this will likely be a very reverberant space but their are practical solutions like perforated tool rack with acoustic treatment behind them. A lot of variables but you can achieve very good sound. You just can't think of it as what is done in the home environment.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL 708p. I don't think the typical passive bookshelf will put out enough volume.

ErVikingo

I am adding a 4- car addition to my present 3-car garage and want very good sound I use Revel 328be, 426be indoors and some 126be on my patio. I will probably just get four 126be but interested in what else I should consider. Probably more for TV watching an auto race while tinkering with my cars but also music but not critical listening music. I will power with Krell just because I like Krell amps and have several now. The B&W 805 have better low end but look stupid IMO and I do not need big bass in my garage.
You had me at 4 car garage addition! I have a 3 and a separate 4 car garages. Since to me it is background music, I have Monitor in ceiling speakers.

Bicycles, cars and music! Awesome I think I have seen your name on vintage entry lists. I race SVRA, HSR, IGT, ...

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm admittedly still struggling with 3-car plus 4-car = 6-car...

Nothing wrong with a nice big garage. If you are active in the car world (collecting, doing track events/ racing, etc.) there are plenty of people that have spaces like this. The ones I have visited have, at best, utilized an old receiver with even older speakers playing digital copies of CDs through an iPod or similar. So it's nice to, uh, hear that someone is going to set up theirs with good audio.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Because the budget is not big issue and construction is necessary, how about a number of these in the ceiling or walls.

gnarly

Major Contributor
Earlier, I suggested Meyer or equivalent, and I like the Genelec route too....
But the more I reflect, the more i think I like what I did for my garages...i hung flippin low-fi Bose 901's from the ceiling.

All I want in a garage, is tunes that sound decent everywhere....
That keep my mood up as I work away....

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Earlier, I suggested Meyer or equivalent, and I like the Genelec route too....
But the more I reflect, the more i think I like what I did for my garages...i hung flippin low-fi Bose 901's from the ceiling.

All I want in a garage, is tunes that sound decent everywhere....
That keep my mood up as I work away....
I get that. I have a large basement that can hold a few cars. I ran across some Klipsch Heresy's at an estate sale for $10. Cosmetically challenged, but functioning well. Fairly efficient speaker which I hooked up to a 45 wpc receiver from the early 1980's. I get FM radio, and whatever tunes I feed it off the internet. Not super hifi, but I'm not sure I'd notice it under the car or under the hood or detailing the car or whatever. Speakers are ceiling mounted out of my way and a place good for their safety.

Top Bottom