• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best speakers for 6-car Garage Revel 126be's? or what else

Terry Stahly

I am adding a 4- car addition to my present 3-car garage and want very good sound I use Revel 328be, 426be indoors and some 126be on my patio. I will probably just get four 126be but interested in what else I should consider. Probably more for TV watching an auto race while tinkering with my cars but also music but not critical listening music. I will power with Krell just because I like Krell amps and have several now. The B&W 805 have better low end but look stupid IMO and I do not need big bass in my garage.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At the building stage, I'd talk to Amir's company https://www.madronadigital.com/ about a built in system, depending upon your budget.

We were in the design phase for a custom home with a $2M "barn" that included an 8 car garage and half court basketball court and talked to Madrona. The owner got traded to SLC and didn't end up building the home. That's probably more than you're looking for, if you're asking about a pair of bookshelves though.

Last edited:

robwpdx

I would strongly suggest hiring an acoustical engineer with dual experience in concert halls and garages.

And since you are at the design stage, follow your acoustical consultant advice on the ceiling height. Your DOT maximum height is 14' so when you put your Prevost on the lift, you are going to need at least 24' vertical anyway. Those Prevosts are over 16 tons empty, so plan your lift accordingly. That also helps with the depth of the garage, they require over 45 feet parking depth, so your height, width, and depth approach a normal concert hall or music scoring stage. When in doubt just make it the dimensions of Abbey Road Studio One.

With proper design up front, you could host live music events!

Your functional given is a concrete floor. So you have walls and ceiling to design. Then you can roll out carpet between the bays and place absorbers tuned to frequency. In concert halls today, the seats are selected to have the same acoustics filled with people and empty.

Done right, you could write a paper for the AES, get in all the design and architecture media outlets, and start an acoustic garage consulting business. Forget the Revels, you should probably go pro with the Genelec 8381a mains. Genelec can probably help your acoustical engineer with an ATMOS system, and then you can invite your neighbors to your home theater garage,

Keep us posted, photos or it didn't happen :)

Last edited:

robwpdx

At the building stage, I'd talk to Amir's company https://www.madronadigital.com/ about a built in system, depending upon your budget.

We were in the design phase for a custom home with a $2M "barn" that included an 8 car garage and half court basketball court and talked to Madrona. The owner got traded to SLC and didn't end up building the home. That's probably more than you're looking for, if your asking about a pair of bookshelves though.
I don't know the details, but a local home has an indoor basketball court cut into a hill. They converted it to a movie theater.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

OP
T

Terry Stahly

What a bunch of kids, you all remind me of a bicycle forum I was on years ago if you mention anything about a very high end bike and everyone hates you. The best revenge for simple minds when they get jealous or do not like you because you are successful is living well! Believe me I live very well, beyond your comprehension with a plethora of friends and other activities besides Audio and Video. Continue on with your trivial bs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What a bunch of kids, you all remind me of a bicycle forum I was on years ago if you mention anything about a very high end bike and everyone hates you. The best revenge for simple minds when they get jealous or do not like you because you are successful is living well! Believe me I live very well, beyond your comprehension with a plethora of friends and other activities besides Audio and Video. Continue on with your trivial bs.
There were only a couple of posts, and I don't think they rose to the level of hate. More of the idea that not many people are so successful as you apparently are. Therefore there are not going to be like 100 people who have experience to give you any guidance. Sure some envy (heck I'm envious). I didn't see anything mean spirited really.

Most of the posts were meant to be helpful, suggesting engaging professionals who have experience with sound in large spaces. In a garage I'd probably want in wall speakers or something soffit mounted like in large studios.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you upset about? Was it the Jay Leno joke or the bigger concept beyond bookshelves for a custom build? I don't understand your response.

Digby

Major Contributor
Bit of an overreaction to a little bit of fun. You have to admit, it was an odd way to phrase your initial request, so somewhat invited peculiar responses. Anyway, good luck to you, hopefully you get some more serious replies soon.

I always have to remember to be super serious on American forums (which this is, essentially), because a little sarcastic joke that would be well received elsewhere, often seems to go down like the Hindenberg (in fifty foot flames). Has it been long enough since that event that I can make this joke....I hope so....:confused:

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
often seems to go down like the Hindenberg (in fifty foot flames). Has it been long enough since that event that I can make this joke....I hope so....:confused:
"Good times... bad times... you know I've had my share..."

220px-Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_%281969%29_front_cover.png

OP
T

Terry Stahly

I wanted to know if there are any other excellent speakers in the size range of the Revel 126be or 801's pretty simple question. Nothing jumps out at me but it has been a good while since I have been speaker shopping and really never for smaller speakers like this.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Believe me I live very well, beyond your comprehension with a plethora of friends and other activities besides Audio and Video. Continue on with your trivial bs.

Money doesn’t buy a sense of humour :rolleyes:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I might also mention in a large space you have less issues with the bass in music because of the large size of any standing waves. So some bigger speakers with some bass capability, or some subs might be really good. The Schroeder frequency in such a large space is very low meaning speakers perform more like their measured response much further down in frequency.

robwpdx

We provide free expert advice on ASR. Sometimes we engage in humor to justify the time commitment. I am serious in this and my other comments, I have worked as a recording engineer. A 60 foot by 30 foot by 8 foot space with a concrete floor will be terrible for music. The other option is silent disco headphones for yourself and guests. I would not wrench vehicles with headphones on for safety-situational awareness reasons.

If you want the free advice, you have to put up with the free humor.

Last edited:

GabrielBurger

the nautilus speakers are ironically the choice,

who has tinnitus right now? these days

but a lot of that is cut off by digital recording yes, those early days when 24khz was the standard.. luckily studio standard is 192khz so those who whine that it's recorded on a higher quality than humans can ever appreciate.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am adding a 4- car addition to my present 3-car garage and want very good sound I use Revel 328be, 426be indoors and some 126be on my patio. I will probably just get four 126be but interested in what else I should consider. Probably more for TV watching an auto race while tinkering with my cars but also music but not critical listening music. I will power with Krell just because I like Krell amps and have several now. The B&W 805 have better low end but look stupid IMO and I do not need big bass in my garage.

CBTs... https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-70j-1-review-constant-beam-transducer.21469/

gnarly

Major Contributor
I wanted to know if there are any other excellent speakers in the size range of the Revel 126be or 801's pretty simple question. Nothing jumps out at me but it has been a good while since I have been speaker shopping and really never for smaller speakers like this.
If you have the money, and want to jump a whole big league up, I'd suggest looking at Meyersound, or equivalent..
It's the kind of gear that makes Revel and B&W look like more like toys, ime.

Top Bottom