• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM - Poll

Best 'Bang for your buck' IEM under $100.

• 7Hz Salnotes Zero

Votes: 80 25.6%
  • BLON BL-03

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • DUNU Titan S

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • HZsound Heart Mirror

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Moondrop CHU

Votes: 18 5.8%
  • Tanchjim Tanya

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Tripowin x HBB Olina

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero (Original = Blue)

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero:RED

Votes: 149 47.6%
  • Other

Votes: 64 20.4%

• Total voters

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your ears are probably not lying. Here are the two plotted.

graph.png

Alexium

I gotta say, if you get the Hexa and make an EQ preset for them, then I will buy the Hexa too (even though my current IEMs are better). I'm still enjoying your TcZ EQ.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, me too! But I'm on the hunt for another pair. Partly due to curiosity and partly to find something more compact and comfortable. But it needs to have potential.

tknx

otseiTiesto

imnotarobot

S12 definitely, but I'm not convinces it's 2x better. That's the "problem" with TCZ - they set such a high bar for such a low price, you're hard-pressed to find an IEM that's better, and that's priced proportionally (not 10x more expensive for 2x subjective gain).
I think for some people just not needing an EQ is going to be worth that extra $40. Although compared to TCZ (and to my own taste), a bass boost is required, but out of the box it's not really lacking. Just toned down. After a bit of a low shelf all the lowest notes are there with pleasant oomph and rumble.
Otherwise the tonal balance is, to me, perfect, and overall I did not find anything that TCZ does better, other than deep bass extension out of the box.

The only bad thing about S12 is the cable, and it's really bad, I had no idea a cable can make my ears hurt so much. Luckily, the TCZ cable fits perfectly and with it I barely even feel I have IEMs on.
All in all this is a reasonably popular model, judging by how often it comes up in various reviews and comparisons - not quite at the Hexa level, but popular. And I can confirm that it's well worth a recommendation (for below $100 - perhaps not for the sticker price of 130).

Having said that, there is one thing that left me unhappy about this purchase. A few reviewrs one (not one or two) point out S12 as the benchmark in "technicality", e. g. resolution/detail retrieval, and I'm not feeling that at all. It's definitely no worse than TCS, but I don't feel it's better either. If anyone else reading this has S12/S12 Pro - I'd be very interested in your opinion.
If you're willing to mod. Removing the grill. Inside the bore there is a foam. Take it out. I wanted more bass so I taped the side went.

riker1384

I like the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic. $80 for dual-driver IEMS. I like them a lot, they sound good, they're comfortable, compact and they look good. They seemed to get a lot of bad reviews for some reason. A lot complained of weak bass. I don't know why, as the bass isn't boosted but it's flat to subsonic. It might be that a lot of people had problems getting a seal.

Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. There seem to be some on eBay but for inflated prices. At those prices, maybe I should sell my spare pair.

AudioKC

Can you guys comment on how well the Hexa takes to EQ?

I don’t use EQ for IEMs.

I love pure raw sound of different IEMs :)

My go to now

Crinacle Zero:2
Hexa
Timeless

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'm blissed out with the 7Hz Zero 2and have returned to the original tips. That tuneful clean and deep bass is so addictive on the music I listen to andmy other motley 'phones are either peaky or just don't fo down as far as cleanly (the extra bottom octave does seem to improve timbres further up).

So, for twenty five quid or so, I'm hooked..

Michou

Humbug! :D

It's either HEXA w/EQ or FiiO JD7 w/EQ. They each need it but in a different way.

Why these? I'm looking in this price range for IEMs that have potential with EQ, are comfortable, and look decent.

View attachment 347157
The Fiio/Jade JD7 is a really satisfying and fun IEM, quite similar to the cheaper FD1. The Artti t10 Planar is very good too.

AudioKC

Humbug! :D

It's either HEXA w/EQ or FiiO JD7 w/EQ. They each need it but in a different way.

Why these? I'm looking in this price range for IEMs that have potential with EQ, are comfortable, and look decent.

View attachment 347157

Sure, but Need to meet a person preference.

After my audio journey in 25 years, I kind of diverged from Harman a bit, toward smaller bump in bass and more midrange / upper midrange.

Harman curve is for average person.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but Need to meet a person preference.

After my audio journey in 25 years, I kind of diverged from Harman a bit, toward smaller bump in bass and more midrange / upper midrange.

Harman curve is for average person.
I am the opposite. Harman is unrefined; the treble carries too much energy making everything sound grating on the ears. My testing showed the slope beyond the 3kHz peak needs to come down much faster. Instead, it is much too broad. I don't think the Harman study actually tweaked this as much as they could have before collecting data.

My preference is much closer to the IEF Neutral target, ala Crinacle. I have Truthear Zeros equalized to remove all resonances. Later, they came out with the Reds that went in the same direction. If you listen to Crinacle's explanation, he describes exactly what I'm hearing. So that's the reason for these IEM choices.

AudioKC

> If you listen to Crinacle's explanation, he describes exactly what I'm hearing

That is the point, that many of us hear differently, my wife is very very treble sensitive, she told me many times that "high frequency is off" for many my speakers with bad spin and wild angled reflection from twitter, but I kind of been OK with that spin. We are different, it's why there is no ONE solution for all or ONE curve for all.

I'm not saying that there is no "average" / "reasonable" tunning for average consumer, there is one for sure. I'm saying if you start searching for what you like, you will end up in a different place then I. Which totally makes sense.

UPD: also I like different curves for different experiences, IEM one curve with midrange focused. The monitors is quite bass-heavy, my big boys R11 quite neutral with small bump in bass, etc. Different experiences what bring most pleasure to me (I bet some people tune everything to one curve, and it brings pleasure to them). The point is, we are different here.

imnotarobot

Some theory on how tips affect tuning:
I've not tested it since I'm happy with my setup.
I just want to put my vote for the S12/S12 Pro.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
> If you listen to Crinacle's explanation, he describes exactly what I'm hearing

That is the point, that many of us hear differently, my wife is very very treble sensitive, she told me many times that "high frequency is off" for many my speakers with bad spin and wild angled reflection from twitter, but I kind of been OK with that spin. We are different, it's why there is no ONE solution for all or ONE curve for all.

I'm not saying that there is no "average" / "reasonable" tunning for average consumer, there is one for sure. I'm saying if you start searching for what you like, you will end up in a different place then I. Which totally makes sense.

UPD: also I like different curves for different experiences, IEM one curve with midrange focused. The monitors is quite bass-heavy, my big boys R11 quite neutral with small bump in bass, etc. Different experiences what bring most pleasure to me (I bet some people tune everything to one curve, and it brings pleasure to them). The point is, we are different here.
For the record, Harman target is not an average. It is tonal balance "most" people prefer. And allowing for deviations in bass and treble, it is what almost everyone prefers when tested blind.

markanini

Major Contributor
I am the opposite. Harman is unrefined; the treble carries too much energy making everything sound grating on the ears. My testing showed the slope beyond the 3kHz peak needs to come down much faster. Instead, it is much too broad. I don't think the Harman study actually tweaked this as much as they could have before collecting data.

My preference is much closer to the IEF Neutral target, ala Crinacle. I have Truthear Zeros equalized to remove all resonances. Later, they came out with the Reds that went in the same direction. If you listen to Crinacle's explanation, he describes exactly what I'm hearing. So that's the reason for these IEM choices.
You'd probably like Tacnchjim One DSP, it's very enjoyable in person.

1707433169899.png
1707433194482.png

markanini

Major Contributor
(..)I'm mostly ok with Harman IE 2019 up until 3 kHz(...)
To me it depends on the 3-4k levels. If they are as high as Harman IE I prefer some upper bass bleed to counter balance. Overall my favorite is signature is IEF 2020 + slightly modified Harman bass. I don't see much improvement from IEF 2023, a step back if anything.

Top Bottom