• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 82.9%

• Total voters

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Not heavy in the slightest, feels weightless in the hand.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And unlike some DACs that were especially prepared and sent to Amir by the manufacturer, these were just ordered online.
How do you know this and how do you know what they "prepared?"

capslock

Well, you sometimes test DACs that were sent to you directly by the manufacturer. If you were the manufacturer, wouldn't you want to make sure to select one with above average performance or maybe even tweak the distortion compensation of the ESS DAC, which may not be done for regular production or not as carefully?

I'll admit that this is conjecture.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Well, you sometimes test DACs that were sent to you directly by the manufacturer. If you were the manufacturer, wouldn't you want to make sure to select one with above average performance or maybe even tweak the distortion compensation of the ESS DAC, which may not be done for regular production or not as carefully?

I'll admit that this is conjecture.

This is a favourite response on Head-fi along with Amir/ASR gets paid by Chinese companies to favourably review their products.

Here's a thought, perhaps the products that are not well reviewed.....are merely rather poorly designed and built

capslock

I wouldn't go as far as to claim that. My point was that it is a sign of excellent quality control when a randomly ordered performs this well.

Tarnith

I already had one of these for several months, and I was extremely impressed with it. Replaced closed back Sennheiser headphones for my use case, and has better channel matching (to my ear) than any of my headphones.

Cool to see how low the distortion is. The only complaint I had about this is: The shell comfort (but for the price, can't be too upset) and the treble. It's definitely pushed and noticeable, which is a shame as it's otherwise a really, really good tuning. Still very usable but made a lot better by a light bit of EQ.

Waiting on my Zero 2 now, looks like it will mostly resolve any of my issues, I prefer a slightly darker signature (Roughly linear descending line from the pinna peak for me, which it mostly seems to be targeting)

DSJR

Major Contributor
Now this is interesting. My iffy lugs are insensitive to room reflections these days and I need aids to hear speakers properly (although I turn mine down a couple of notches for most 'natural' perspectives). First time having a proper listen through these Zero's via as US spec Apple dongle and (this may well be psychological) I feel the hf is a bit 'hot' and I'd like more low bass (I'm using the white tips). One thing I can say is that the bass that's there seems cleaner and on 60's singles (yes, I know), the bass 'grunge I usually hear is far cleaner overall. Extreme L-R is as clean as a whistle I have to say.

I wonder if the Zero 2 might help the balance in my case (after thinking it wouldn't)? I'm actually pondering the Tanchjim One instead as I think I prefer the cable routing for my usage case. Amazon have a set from HiFi Go without mic or any extras for £31...

mc.god

Now this is interesting. My iffy lugs are insensitive to room reflections these days and I need aids to hear speakers properly (although I turn mine down a couple of notches for most 'natural' perspectives). First time having a proper listen through these Zero's via as US spec Apple dongle and (this may well be psychological) I feel the hf is a bit 'hot' and I'd like more low bass (I'm using the white tips). One thing I can say is that the bass that's there seems cleaner and on 60's singles (yes, I know), the bass 'grunge I usually hear is far cleaner overall. Extreme L-R is as clean as a whistle I have to say.

I wonder if the Zero 2 might help the balance in my case (after thinking it wouldn't)? I'm actually pondering the Tanchjim One instead as I think I prefer the cable routing for my usage case. Amazon have a set from HiFi Go without mic or any extras for £31...
Zero:2 is more focused on sub-bass, Tanchjim One is more focused on mid bass with less sub-bass even than original Zero. Both are a bit less forward at pinna gain but TJ One is more hot on the entire high band:

https://hbb.squig.link/?share=Tan_One,7hz_Zero,7hz_2

For what you say Zero:2 seems the right choice, unless cable factor is preponderant.

Tircuit

Forum Donor

The Zero 2 have the right bass and the zing is gone from the highs - but I found I missed some of it. The 2 sounds better EQ’d to get some of those highs back.

The 1 is just about perfect for me on most recordings but yes, a few recordings get shrill. I use Iphone so no EQ on the 1, use the 2 on the PC with EQ.

But all is moot if you don’t like the routing. Just note that the Tanchim might need EQ.

markanini

Major Contributor

I liked 7Hz Zero a lot, but Moondrop Lan was an big improvement.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Zero 2 have the right bass and the zing is gone from the highs - but I found I missed some of it. The 2 sounds better EQ’d to get some of those highs back.

The 1 is just about perfect for me on most recordings but yes, a few recordings get shrill. I use Iphone so no EQ on the 1, use the 2 on the PC with EQ.

But all is moot if you don’t like the routing. Just note that the Tanchim might need EQ.
I think usb-c IEM's like the Tanchim One (DSP) are amazing if you give yourself the time to learn how to set the PEQ filters. The 'Popular' preset on their App is basically perfect Harman. But from using that IEM with this present for a few weeks, it does show me is once the FR 'problem' is solved comfort becomes the next priority so the shape of the shell, the angle of nozzle, the weight etc become very important. The Moondrop freedsp 'cable' is currently a disappointment with its very poor app but pretty soon this type of 'cable' as long as it has PEQ/DSP exposed configuration will become the killer feature to get the perfect sounding IEM for all your devices (I am saying this as an iPhone user who does not have system wide OS level EQ )

Grobbelboy

I connected this with my Qudelix 5K to try some EQ for the first time and holy moly, a simple low-shelf filter (75Hz, 2.2dB and Q0.8) and peak filter (13000Hz, -4dB and Q4.8) offer a truly surprising improvement. With deep, distortion-less bass, super impressive staging and overall perfectly flat sounding reproduction this is pretty much the best piece of audio equipment that i've ever listened to, without exaggeration.

Top Bottom