• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 180 82.9%

• Total voters

SteveL

£19.99 cable for $20 IEM - wow nice deal!
$100 cable for $1000 speakers/studio montors - AUDIOFOOL! PURGE THAT HERETIC!
:p
Replacement cables don't sell in anything remotely like the quantities that cheap IEMs sell in, so especially if they're a little nicer they're bound to be expensive compared to the cable included with the cheap IEM. (And I don't see anybody claiming that something like a Tripowin Zonie has magical audio properties.) Having said that I have no problem with the Salnotes Zero stock cable- snugging it up under my chin takes care of the (mild) microphonics.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
£19.99 cable for $20 IEM - wow nice deal!
$100 cable for $1000 speakers/studio montors - AUDIOFOOL! PURGE THAT HERETIC!
:p

As far as I’m aware I don’t drag my static speaker cables with me as I move around the house but if I did I’d want want something that didn’t tangle or hang up, ;)

uwotm8

Got mine Zero yesterday - amazingly neutral response, "right" sound, just nothing to change here.
Best tips for me are the smallest with bigger channel.
Didn't get a "cheap feel" also - I'd say those fell natably better than generic, say, KZ.

Unbeliveable good for sound for a price of a good cheeseburger or two:oops:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What spinfits fit these?
CP100 and 145 definitely fit.

The 155 will be too big

Cant speak to the TWS varieties- likely will work.

The trick with the Zero/ Zero 2 for me is to go wide but shallow with the tips. The shell size/ nozzle length is more about blocking the ear canal entrance more than deeper insertion (like you get with the TE Zero for example). Im not sure the CP100 or 145 shape are the ideal here.

KikoKentaurus

After a couple of months of usage I noticed that my right earphone is playing 10x quieter than a left one. It's practically dysfunctional, with a notable hiss. I tried reconnecting same cable and also switching source, but the problem remains. Anyone had anything similar? Can this happen from a physical damage, like applying pressure to them?

p.s. also switching cable sides showed that the problem is in the earphone itself, not the cable.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am on my 3rd Zero 1 and 2nd Zero 2 so far. Love them and so does my wife.

mc.god

After a couple of months of usage I noticed that my right earphone is playing 10x quieter than a left one. It's practically dysfunctional, with a notable hiss. I tried reconnecting same cable and also switching source, but the problem remains. Anyone had anything similar? Can this happen from a physical damage, like applying pressure to them?

p.s. also switching cable sides showed that the problem is in the earphone itself, not the cable.
The right filter could be clogged, it would explain the reduction in level, but I don't know if they are easily serviceable. Sadly you report noticeable hiss too, that makes me think about a failure in the driver.

mc.god

Useless post only to say that after some months of exclusively using 7Hz Sonus I came back to Zero for a couple of days just to remember to myself how much I like them.

markanini

Major Contributor
Useless post only to say that after some months of exclusively using 7Hz Sonus I came back to Zero for a couple of days just to remember to myself how much I like them.
You would probably like Moondrop Lan.

SteveL

I'm periodically tempted to try the Sonus but I enjoy the Zero so much that I never actually end up placing the order.

mc.god

I remember some good comments of yours about Lan and given their graphs I'm constantly on the verge of ordering them.
But considering that:
  • Sonus remain my preference if I have to choice;
  • I already own 2 pairs of original Zero;
  • Zero and Sonus fit perfectly for me, while Lan has to be tested;
  • I'm rather stingy...
So I'll be waiting in case Lan go on special offer at Amazon.it sometimes.

I'm periodically tempted to try the Sonus but I enjoy the Zero so much that I never actually end up placing the order.
I prefer Sonus a bit, but honestly I can't assure that my judgement is not biased by the cost and driver configuration.
I'm not good at describing hearing impression other than what you can already infer from their graph, less forward than Zero but extremely clear and defined all around the spectrum. I find them extremely enjoyable even at very low volume levels, maybe not interesting for many but something that I appreciate a lot.

Last edited:

mc.god

I come back to this for a question:
from the AutoEQ function on Crinacle site i generated eq apo preset that should "transform" 7Hz Zero into Moondrop Lan (attached)
I'm asking to anyone having both iems at hand, how much close Zero with this eq is to real Lan?
As it is i prefer Zero stock sound, with eq it seems a bit tamed on highs, lacking some "air" for my preferences.
Thanks to anyone willing to try.

Attachments

• 7Hz-Salnotes Zero to Moondrop Lan.txt
    497 bytes · Views: 25

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mc.god

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you saying it's time to get the 3'rd pair?
Between me and my wife I honestly lost count how many we bought already.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 7Hz Zero 1 is on sale for 11.21 usd on AliExpress! Orders above 18 usd on Choice get free shipping. Crazy cheap price.

For some reason it was this price when I started the checkout earlier today. I thought they would cancel it but it seems to have shipped, lol.

One hell of a bang for the four bucks if it truly does get here.

Untitled.jpg

t1m9k86

Is the consensus still that EQ’d Zero 2’s are “better” than non-EQ’d Zero 1’s? I’m fairly new to the IEM game, I think my main concern is going to be accuracy versus any flavoring or musicality; I’d really like to know what a neutral profile sounds like. I currently have the 2’s with the two-band EQ @amirm showed in the review in place in Roon, and I also have 1’s waiting for me after work. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is the consensus still that EQ’d Zero 2’s are “better” than non-EQ’d Zero 1’s? I’m fairly new to the IEM game, I think my main concern is going to be accuracy versus any flavoring or musicality; I’d really like to know what a neutral profile sounds like. I currently have the 2’s with the two-band EQ @amirm showed in the review in place in Roon, and I also have 1’s waiting for me after work. Just looking for some guidance. Thanks!
Unfortunately, there is no one true neutral frequency response for IEMs, like there is for speakers.

A neutral response depends a lot on the geometry of your inner ear and how the IEM interacts with it.

It is therefore up to you to try different EQ settings and find your own neutral. Measurements and target curves can only help you get there more quickly.

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I personally "EQ" my Zeros with a tiny bit of tape to boost the bass to Harman and use Moondrop spring tips to smooth the treble a tiny bit. This way these are the ONLY IEM/Headphones I own that I can simply plug and play anywhere. I have medium to smaller sized ears.

graph (21).png

Top Bottom