• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belief vs Science

gikigill

If they love CO2 so much, how about a 4 hour party in a 100 % CO2 only environment.The grand prize at the end of the party is your survival.

If you make it out after 4 hours, you win, if you dont, you pay with your life.

digicidal

Major Contributor
If they love CO2 so much, how about a 4 hour party in a 100 % CO2 only environment.The grand prize at the end of the party is your survival.

If you make it out after 4 hours, you win, if you dont, you pay with your life.
Can I bring an unlimited number of plants along with me to this party?

kevinh

Yeah cause there is no difference between 1000 ppm and 1,000,000ppm, oh wait that is 1,000x as much as 'ideal'.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Anyone who's ever seen Cool Hand Luke should remember that song, it was immortalized when song by Clint Eastwood.

When did Clint sing it?

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yeah cause there is no difference between 1000 ppm and 1,000,000ppm, oh wait that is 1,000x as much as 'ideal'.
Not to mention that it would be just as fatal a party if it were oxygen or any other gas... although helium would be fun for a brief laugh.

But plants hate CO2 and devour it? Dont you love CO2 and want to have more of it?
Uh... you want to revise that "hate"? Do mammals hate oxygen? If anything, I hate CO2 and love O... (sex joke avoided)... plant life being largely the inverse (if they hate anything it would be oxygen... but as they have no emotions I'm going with their hatred of nothing at all). ;)

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not to mention that it would be just as fatal a party if it were oxygen or any other gas... although helium would be fun for a brief laugh.

Uh... you want to revise that "hate"? Do mammals hate oxygen? If anything, I hate CO2 and love O... (sex joke avoided)... plant life being largely the inverse (if they hate anything it would be oxygen... but as they have no emotions I'm going with their hatred of nothing at all). ;)
You must be of those people who don't talk to your plants. Shame on you for not giving plants the chance to reveal their emotions to you.

digicidal

Major Contributor
You must be of those people who don't talk to your plants. Shame on you for not giving plants the chance to reveal their emotions to you.
I do play music for them regularly... luckily they like the exact same music I do - or at least they've never complained about it. :D

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
75586115_2839891019378210_5961916662755098624_o.jpg

digicidal

Major Contributor
Considering that plumbers and mechanics are notable (at least here in the US) for scamming ignorant customers with great frequency - I'm not sure that analogy works as well as they would hope. However, the point is a pretty good one regardless. ;)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Considering that plumbers and mechanics are notable (at least here in the US) for scamming ignorant customers with great frequency - I'm not sure that analogy works as well as they would hope. However, the point is a pretty good one regardless. ;)

At the rates our plumbers here in Oz charge($US60 to $USIOOplus per hour) plus call-out plus similar charge for their offsider who does the physical stuff and fetching duties. They pick and choose the jobs and load the price up even more for small or urgent jobs. . $500 dollars to replace a float valve washer in a ceiling placed hot water tank(not me, a mate. It had to be fixed quickly to avoid water damage. This one plumber was the only one interested and only at that charge).

Traditionally government utilities used to train lots of tradesmen, techs and engineers. Medium and small size private companies thought training was a waste of money when they could poach these guys, and poach them they did.

Then, along came 'privatisation' and government austerity measures which disposed of the utilities and decimated longstanding government provided trade and technician training establishments. The fore-mentioned companies did not pick up on training due to their entrenched mentality and/or because their competitors might do the poaching from them.

The shortage of skilled tradesmen in most areas means that tradesmen can earn more than doctors and engineers. Most of them seem to drive the biggest and over-optioned FWD pick-up trucks(SUVs) and own the biggest homes on their streets.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
At the rates our plumbers here in Oz charge($US60 to $USIOOplus per hour) plus call-out plus similar charge for their offsider who does the physical stuff and fetching duties. They pick and choose the jobs and load the price up even more for small or urgent jobs. . $500 dollars to replace a float valve washer in a ceiling placed hot water tank(not me, a mate. It had to be fixed quickly to avoid water damage. This one plumber was the only one interested and only at that charge).

Traditionally government utilities used to train lots of tradesmen, techs and engineers. Medium and small size private companies thought training was a waste of money when they could poach these guys, and poach them they did.

Then, along came 'privatisation' and government austerity measures which disposed of the utilities and decimated longstanding government provided trade and technician training establishments. The fore-mentioned companies did not pick up on training due to their entrenched mentality and/or because their competitors might do the poaching from them.

The shortage of skilled tradesmen in most areas means that tradesmen can earn more than doctors and engineers. Most of them seem to drive the biggest and over-optioned FWD pick-up trucks(SUVs) and own the biggest homes on their streets.
No student loan debt either.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Yeah, well (similar to doctors and lawyers actually) they do benefit from usually dealing with desperate, fearful customers who are willing to pay nearly anything to have a scary problem disappear and get on with their lives. Unfortunately, there are many who take advantage of this and milk things even further (and far beyond honest).

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yeah, well (similar to doctors and lawyers actually) they do benefit from usually dealing with desperate, fearful customers who are willing to pay nearly anything to have a scary problem disappear and get on with their lives. Unfortunately, there are many who take advantage of this and milk things even further (and far beyond honest).

https://theconversation.com/americans-bankrupted-by-health-care-costs-4-questions-answered-127570 Other parts of the world do much better with health care.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yeah, well (similar to doctors and lawyers actually) they do benefit from usually dealing with desperate, fearful customers who are willing to pay nearly anything to have a scary problem disappear and get on with their lives.

Old joke:

Man goes to the doctor because he has something lodged in his eye that he can't remove himself...

The doctor complies, and removes the irritating speck.

That'll be $50 please.

What? that's ridiculous, you only worked for two minutes!

Yes, but I figure it's only half of what you would have been willing to pay before I removed it...

Top Bottom