• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Belief vs Science

jfetter

Forum Donor
Possibly we are all somewhat in error. There is a third way(self-organization), the wild west of biophysics.
This is where audio enters the lab.
Not much is openly published of work, results and procedures. In fact much work is disguised-hidden performed as tag along experiments. Einstein call it 'spooky'.
Here is an 'ok' summary.
http://www.physics.drexel.edu/~bob/Term_Reports/Zhou_Di.pdf
There are no experts in this field. Everyone is *cautiously* learning in real-time. ( ha 'Time' again)

TimF

Forum Donor
Regarding the statement: Must we go through another Dark Ages...., I recommend the short novel Hard to be a God by Arkady and Boris Strugastsky, or the Russian movie of same by Aleksei German. I don't recommend the movie except for the very hardy and or film buffs, as I similarly don't recommend the Russian movie 4 (numeric) except for the doubly hardy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you know the old saying.............

You can lead a horse to water, but there is no guarantee if he takes a drink he won't choke on it.

DKT88

Feel free to be utterly incorrect, bio systems or not (the Second Law doesn't care).
the second law, which I "learned" in a thermodynamics class is really misunderstood. I wondered about how things could become more ordered e.g. evolution of biological systems and not violate the trend towards disorder in a closed system. Then there was the ah ha moment (when I read the answer).

Tks

Major Contributor

jfetter

Forum Donor
Yes "house of cards" is from Einstein shortly before his death, authorized biography.
He said he feared he had built a house of cards.
A physics degree is not required, the bio has only a few calculations.
Here is interior of M2.

1.jpg

jfetter

Forum Donor
Next company I start will focus on audio cult science.

dummy_tanks_22.jpg

jfetter

Forum Donor
So no educational penalization on tests, homework, and classwork if someone comes in and says the world is less than 6,000 years old? No problems there just to be clear from your view?
BS regurgitated, 6k is from the 'mainstream science' of the time. Similar to relativity....

jfetter

Forum Donor
No, its from the Christian version of "science. Going against it might cause minor problems like losing you head the next day or having your limbs removed one by one.
How ignorant...
Please go back for remedial world history.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Let them be drawn and quartered.
Yr-lmNU4LpgZSYzFl-L5h56Hewc9b7zXxpRxaTYptrdk1EOi80QlnUOMvpOGwfe_cI9fkLDzwvSYXqtiS_S_u1IeXo2bjYr0tjGjeyPaFuiu3NQbNxGMn9MKKf0a

Tks

Major Contributor
BS regurgitated, 6k is from the 'mainstream science' of the time. Similar to relativity....

Sorry, I don't know what you're trying to convey. The topic was concerning modern day topic of how education should proceed..

What relevancy is there to that effect, with respect to what you just said?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
How ignorant...
Please go back for remedial world history.

I think you need to clarify. Maybe you are happier to be elusive, or alternatively, can't rationalise your beliefs.
shtiphat.gif

Last edited:
OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
There are so many things that people claim knowledge of but when brought to account all they have is opinion and rhetoric.

Bigfoot, Yeti, alien abduction, out-of-body experience, gnomes at the bottom of the garden, ghosts, voices in the wind. etc.

Yes, give me substantive, verifiable knowledge that is repeatable in practice.
uhmmmm - Copy.gif

P.S. I occasionally buy a lottery ticket. That's wishful thinking. :facepalm:

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
For most of the human race science is something they ' believe in ' or not for some.

There's a deal of knowledge one needs before you can claim any different.

Some of us have studied human belief to some degree. It is interesting and generally not so puzzling at a basic scientific level.

Even the dogged clinging to established beliefs in the face of clear refuting evidence is somewhat understood.

It usually comes down to self-interest in a social context.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Some of us have studied human belief to some degree. It is interesting and generally not so puzzling at a basic scientific level.

Even the dogged clinging to established beliefs in the face of clear refuting evidence is somewhat understood.

It usually comes down to self-interest in a social context.
In the face of not ' knowing ' belief is needed.

We all operate on belief, all day everyday.

Top Bottom