• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The pain of being a member of ASR

sam_adams

Major Contributor
You walk in in your room and you find a small gravel on the floor.No second thought probably,could have got in under a shoe.

You walk in your room and you find a huge megalith in it.Thoughts are probably existential.

(the really-really short version,can't par with a magician straightly compared to Homer.even using the chemical way)

You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When DSLR's first came out, I was quick to buy one as soon as they became affordable. The guys in my photography club were all still on film. When they saw my photographs, they broke with the usual polite remarks and said it's "awful" and "unnatural". One guy said "I am a photographer, not a computer nerd". Photography is different to audio in that early DSLR's were woefully inadequate compared to early digital audio - 16/44.1 is still acceptable today, but 6MP sensors with poor dynamic range are not, not to mention high ISO digital artefacts and low dynamic range. So they kind of had a point.
I remember an extensive investigation by one of the photo sites. They concluded 6 mp of good quality was about where it matched your basic SLR with local film processing. I found that to be about true. Not equal to top processing and expensive lens, but roughly equal to regular processing of film and basic lens on a mid-range Canon or Nikon film camera.

KEFCarver

I thought this would be a great place to share (vent?) my current experience. I have a small Youtube Channel focused mainly on testing Vintage (say >20yrs old) audio gear (namely amps, preamps, & receivers)and seeing how well it performs to its original specs, as well as how it sounds to me (basic sounds, shoot me if I use the word velvety). Similar to what Amir (and others on this site) may do, but I have nowhere near his knowledge, experience or equipment. I'm a retired EE and this is what I have found to do to keep me off the streets at night. I recently posted a video "$8000/pair Speaker Cable vs. $14 DIY Speaker Cable A/B Test"- you can search for that on Youtube if you are interested. I probably get 200-300views in a week on my videos. THis one got about >4000 the 1st week. I am the 1st to admit it was not a perfect test, but it was the best I could do with what I had. It was basically a get together of about a dozen of us "audio guys" to eat, drink and talk audio, and participate in a test. I reply back to every comment in some fashion, but boy, did I get a bunch of people chiming in about how you can't use just one speaker because you can't just imaging and the system was not good enough to hear the difference...blah blah blah... Last time I checked I was at 95% likes so the majority of folks get it. A few of my favorite comments were that I did not send the cables back to the Manufactured to be "tuned" for my speaker and amp. I tried to end one commentary with just saying that we will just have to agree to disagree, just please don't tell me that you can hear a difference when you switched out your Toslink cable. Of course he did, and he went into all the reasons why...temperature, magnetism, no reflections around the edges.... I just shake my head and chuckle..... Am glad I can "vent" a little hear.

DonR

Major Contributor
I thought this would be a great place to share (vent?) my current experience. I have a small Youtube Channel focused mainly on testing Vintage (say >20yrs old) audio gear (namely amps, preamps, & receivers)and seeing how well it performs to its original specs, as well as how it sounds to me (basic sounds, shoot me if I use the word velvety). Similar to what Amir (and others on this site) may do, but I have nowhere near his knowledge, experience or equipment. I'm a retired EE and this is what I have found to do to keep me off the streets at night. I recently posted a video "$8000/pair Speaker Cable vs. $14 DIY Speaker Cable A/B Test"- you can search for that on Youtube if you are interested. I probably get 200-300views in a week on my videos. THis one got about >4000 the 1st week. I am the 1st to admit it was not a perfect test, but it was the best I could do with what I had. It was basically a get together of about a dozen of us "audio guys" to eat, drink and talk audio, and participate in a test. I reply back to every comment in some fashion, but boy, did I get a bunch of people chiming in about how you can't use just one speaker because you can't just imaging and the system was not good enough to hear the difference...blah blah blah... Last time I checked I was at 95% likes so the majority of folks get it. A few of my favorite comments were that I did not send the cables back to the Manufactured to be "tuned" for my speaker and amp. I tried to end one commentary with just saying that we will just have to agree to disagree, just please don't tell me that you can hear a difference when you switched out your Toslink cable. Of course he did, and he went into all the reasons why...temperature, magnetism, no reflections around the edges.... I just shake my head and chuckle..... Am glad I can "vent" a little hear.
I had a look at your video. Well done. The comment section is hilarious. I would have expected no less.

KEFCarver

I had a look at your video. Well done. The comment section is hilarious. I would have expected no less.
Anyone that quotes KC & the Sunshine Band has to be ok. It is kinda fun and frustrating at the same time, plus it takes a lot of time away from testing or repairing :rolleyes:

DonR

Major Contributor
Anyone that quotes KC & the Sunshine Band has to be ok. It is kinda fun and frustrating at the same time, plus it takes a lot of time away from testing or repairing :rolleyes:
Florida's Finest!

Benesyed

That made me laugh out loud. Wonderful.

And I would of course retort that yes, if you ever claimed to be an objectivist, you must be faking something because in the end we are all subjectivists. All we can expect from science is use the objectivity it can afford to inform us. In this I am much influenced by Bruno Latour. We make our choices subjectively whether we use objective information or not.

theres-a-name-ive-not-heard-in-many-years.gif

egellings

Major Contributor
Sure, if you prefer. There are way more worrying morally questionable beliefs, dispositions and history of behavior that I allow in friends. I think this goes to the definition of friendship. If there isn't enough loyalty there to get me past a silly USB cable, what is really the nature of the relationship? Or perhaps, what's wrong with me?
That USB kabel! You must belee-e-eve!

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Snake oil hifi is like religion or polit(r)ic(k)s. I, an agnost, have friends that are very religious, from different religions or fractions of religion and some are quiet fanatic in that, and we get along as we respect the personal choice of each other. I even had very religious partners, where religion was not what seperated us as we respected each other opinion. The same with politics. I have family members that are active politicians (maire of a city and member of the parlement in Belgium) that have totally opposite id's as I have, but we get along because we don't discuss politics at family reunions and respect each other opinion.

The same applies to hifi and what works and what not. I don't discuss things if they don't ask, and when I discuss, it's always polite and fact based, but with respect for their freedom of opinion. But i will never bend mine becasue of theirs.
It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of anything he was never reasoned into.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor

My pain of being a member of ASR​

Recently, I've been reflecting on my engagement here on the forum. The discussions in some threads, marked by contentious debates and a focus on proving oneself right, have led me to reconsider my active participation. All too often the arguments are presented in an aggressive and personally hurtful manner.

I value the essence of the audiophile community and the shared joy and passion for the hobby. However, the current atmosphere in ASR has made me question where the true benefit and enjoyment lies. I am also considering whether I can continue to make a constructive contribution to the discussions.

Whenever the turn of the year approaches, I always take the opportunity to make certain decisions. On New Year's Day 2023, for example, I unsubscribed from the Audio Analogue Association forum, where I had been a member for many, many years.
A note of absence at the turn of the year.

In 2024, I plan to undergo a digital detox and step away from internet forums altogether, just as I did with my own online publications years ago.
Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to Amir, the moderators, the administrators, and the community.

Auf Wiedersehen and happy new year.

Last edited:

JP

Major Contributor
Best wishes.

D

Deleted member 21219

In 2024, I plan to undergo a digital detox and step away from internet forums altogether, just as I did with my own online publications years ago.
Finally, I would like to express my gratitude to Amir, the moderators, the administrators, and the community.

Auf Widersehen and happy new year.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's a wise idea. Good Luck! :) :)

Jim "Been there, done that" Taylor

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Auf Widersehen and happy new year.
Wishing you the best. You are a "net" positive.

Drop me a line if ever hang out in Northern Calfornia.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

I'm sorry to read this (selfishly) because I've enjoyed and learned things—about audio, music, culture and more—from your posts.

That said, enjoy your hiatus (long or short) social media has its downsides.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Going to miss your posts. If you need to cheat on your detox, I highly recommend A Call For Humor thread, rarely a "discouraging word" among posters over there.

Happy 2024

Tim

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Not a bad idea. I think I'm overdue for a hiatus myself.

It usually takes my cynicism down a notch :D

Top Bottom