• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Good Robert Heinlein quote for this site

GeorgeWalk

Or [Groucho] Marx's corollary:

OK, not formally avian, but flight-themed, and with an allusion to Sir Arthur Eddington to boot! :)

Groucho also said

But I find myself drifting inexorably off-topic...
My favorite Groucho line:

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Also, pretty much everything can be quantified. The number of times I thought about cheese today? Science!

1708795728169.png

i'd post a quote, probably the only one i'm currently living off, but it's too damn full of f-bombs :rolleyes:

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I feel like "a stranger in a strange land" when reading some posts at ASR.
Better than Friday or god forbid The Cat Who Walked Through Walls or whatever that was called. Love love LOVE the early and mid stuff, but several hundred pages into one of those last I realized I was NOT enjoying it, though "why am I doing this?!?" and that was it.
Heinlein quotes, how about "Willis stay with Jim."..."Warm!"

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Groucho also said "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Put your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car overnight. In the morning, when you open the trunk, which one is glad to see you?

Pareto Pragmatic

Better than Friday or god forbid The Cat Who Walked Through Walls or whatever that was called. Love love LOVE the early and mid stuff, but several hundred pages into one of those last I realized I was NOT enjoying it, though "why am I doing this?!?" and that was it.
Heinlein quotes, how about "Willis stay with Jim."..."Warm!"

There are not many authors of any genre that are readable 50-80 years later. Heinlein is no exception. Heinlein's short stuff from the 40s and 50s holds up WAY better than most SF from the time (which I say having tried to read a lot of old stuff on Guttenberg lately) . It's been a while, but other than the normal blindness to the issues of the day, I would guess his juveniles would still be mostly enjoyable.

The longer he wrote, the more his personal issues started to get in the way of the stories. Particularly issues about women. He definitely loved women, but had very little understanding of them. I find his female characters very much caricatures.

Now at least, not when I was 13.

Still, I have a soft spot for him. I think it was 3rd grade when I first found Red Planet in the school library. Blew my 9 year old mind.

Top Bottom