• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AV123 / GR Research X-Voce Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 281 93.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 2.7%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Taking it further. One wouldn’t even need to measure to perceive that huge deviation from a flat response. Not even do a blind test. Especially someone who claims how great his hearing is. ;)
This is probably more damning that the lack of measurements below 200 Hz. He says he has the best audio system in the world and ears to go with it (as to hear all the differences his tweaks make). Yet, he can't hear bass this broken? Or the terrible experience you get from rear reflections of the open baffle.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Some low-frequency speaker measurements are made out in the open air, i.e. away from any walls objects that could acoustically interfere. For example, this sub measurement by AH. Is such a ground-plane evaluation a valid approach?

I used to be all into doing measurements but would use the close miked response of woofers.

Outdoor is great in one way, but there is always some low frequency noise everywhere I lived.
I would run a sweep with no actual speaker output and cringe at how much stuff you can hear from big truck, trains, and stuff way in the distance oddly.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
This is probably more damning that the lack of measurements below 200 Hz. He says he has the best audio system in the world and ears to go with it (as to hear all the differences his tweaks make). Yet, he can't hear bass this broken? Or the terrible experience you get from rear reflections of the open baffle.
It’s hilarious when you think of it.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
A product made 16 years ago by a company that is now defunct, for a product nobody is going to own and cannot buy? What is the point? It's pretty obvious you're just trying to demean GR Research. I'll admit I am skeptical of his operation, but this "review" post reads like a clearly veiled attack at GR Research and AV123.
Look Danny R hasn't made friends in a number of venues.
He just comes across as a very self absorbed dude and then generally backs it up with his actions.
What do you expect?

I actually do watch many of his vids, I think they are in part interesting and seeing the teardowns beneficial. He has also exposed some pretty shaky designs.
That said he is selling his product 1st, and seems he needs to be right 2nd & everything else feeds into those 2 power points. It makes it just so hard to feel empathy for Danny when he really seems to have said agenda.

Idk, dude is a person and like most folks quite flawed. He is also a big boy and a professional who ought to be cool with some serious question asking, some reasonable criticism and some real world put up or shut up. No veils required here.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A product made 16 years ago by a company that is now defunct, for a product nobody is going to own and cannot buy? What is the point? It's pretty obvious you're just trying to demean GR Research. I'll admit I am skeptical of his operation, but this "review" post reads like a clearly veiled attack at GR Research and AV123.
Demean? If they had good products the data would show it. And if the product is bad, well, the data will show it. Don't kill the messenger.

And if giving facts is demeaning, then by all means, please "demean" some more.

And if you want to talk about demeaning, the guy called Amir "Mo," short for Mohammed probably because Amir is ethnic Middle Eastern. How do one interpret that?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And if you want to talk about demeaning, the guy called Amir "Mo," short for Mohammed probably because Amir is ethnic Middle Eastern. How do one interpret that?
I am soooo against having one single identity in the digital age!;)
Now, I have a reason....

dzerig

Over the years I have been reading ASR I have come to the conclusion Amir is about as objective as one can be when reviewing products. ..

Some used to say Amir had it in for Schiit Audio based on a series of thumbs down reviews. In the past two years he has applauded a number of Schiit products, and they seem either to offer their products and welcome -- or at least tolerate -- his reviews. Recent Schiit reviews seem to fall into the ASR review camp of good or excellent product and made in America for a highly competitive price.
Yeah, sure, but is it fair to consumers for Amir to say Schiit has changed when they are still selling many of the poor measuring products that seem more expensive than the good measuring products they sell, especially Yggdrasil at almost $3000 now!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, sure, but is it fair to consumers for Amir to say Schiit has changed when they are still selling many of the poor measuring products that seem more expensive than the good measuring products they sell, especially Yggdrasil at almost $3000 now!
If a consumer treats everything a company makes with broad brush and doesn't spend a bit of time looking at the performance of specific products, that is on them. If I had said to buy everything Schiit makes blindly, then sure, that would be an issue but I don't. Of course, you all are welcome to develop an idea of the company on your own and choose that way.

Gremlins

Thats not the first time i read gr research shit up ...
Is that a brand to realy avoid?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Life, don't talk to me about life...

Douglas Adams was a client of ours before the big money rolled in and he went all ARC/Krell and Sonus Faber ;)
I'll get me towel - er - coat...

As a former project manager my favourite quote of his was:
“I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”

I have a coffee mug with that on it.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
deg38g4-ca0d7c23-7936-49f3-8639-41e3003acada.jpg

DanielT

Major Contributor
Doesn't Danny have any:
12127341-three-dimensional-golden-metallic-human-ear-3d.jpg
:facepalm:

Or Danny just imagines that he doesn't hear or when appropriate hears (think his power cables) differences.:oops:;)
A self-imposed trick of illusion he unknowingly performs on himself.

Toni Mas

Doesn't Danny have any:
View attachment 327158
:facepalm:

Or Danny just imagines that he doesn't hear or when appropriate hears (think his power cables) differences.:oops:;)
A self-imposed trick of illusion he unknowingly performs on himself.
I think that Danny is perfectly conscious that the Unique Selling Proposal of this model is: insanely Big central for the price...

Top Bottom