• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aussie Bushfires

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

I'm too old for that. Fire and smoke?
If you are asking about the pic & air quality data I posted, yes. Smoke combined with drizzle, but the water is not really precipitating out of the atmosphere, it's creating a kind of miasma, an atmospheric smog or mud. The EPA told people to stay inside as it's too toxic to breath healthily.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
If you are asking about the pic & air quality data I posted, yes. Smoke combined with drizzle, but the water is not really precipitating out of the atmosphere, it's creating a kind of miasma, an atmospheric smog or mud. The EPA told people to stay inside as it's too toxic to breath healthily.

I was responding to @beefkabobs puzzling(to me) comment. Shoulda used reply.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For y'all who might not have been through this before, please note that the precipitation from the smoke in the presence of water can be acidic enough to spot (ruin) the finish on your cars (and everything else) if left outdoors. Don't ask how I know this...

We still have some masks around for the next big fire in our area (or not -- as observed, the fires can be tens or hundreds of miles away and still trash air quality).

Stay safe, and healthy, over there...

jeroboam

If we could keep the virtue signalling out of what is a tribute and respect thread I'd be most appreciative.

As we are all using toxic devices and all sorts of other infrastructure that's had a detrimental effect on the environment just by writing stuff online, plus all consume unnecessarily in our pursuit of audio not to mention the huge self indulgent waste of time we spend here writing about it ... Well please just leave the self righteous stuff at the door.

Back to thinking about those resilient Aussies, human and otherwise.
Well said Thomas - we've all contributed to this sad state of climate change and it's consequences but unfortunately very few of us are doing anything about it.

Touchstone

I notice that British television audiences are now being subjected to the ravings of Craig Kelly MP. Please ignore this man. To say that he's as thick as a brick is an insult to bricks worldwide.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well said Thomas - we've all contributed to this sad state of climate change and it's consequences but unfortunately very few of us are doing anything about it.

How do you know that this terrible situation with fires was directly caused by people relying on fossil fuel for transportation and power all over the world? Anyone who says the science is settled is wrong because there are lots of problems with it. Rather than write pages on the topic check this blog: https://wattsupwiththat.com/ Next, try to connect increases in global temperatures with the drought in Australia. Finally eliminate all other causes like people living in fire prone areas, arson, poor management, and fuel on the ground from snuffing previous fires.

Someone at the NY Times claimed hurricanes were moving slower and were forming more often due to climate change. This was refuted by meteorologists.

What's happening in Australia is a tragedy, but I am sick of having to put up with climate fanatics who won't even let us discuss Corvettes around here. Mentioning climate change should be banned.

Willem

Major Contributor
I really like your audio contributions here, but your continued denial and misrepresentation of and attacks on climate science (and the conclusion that current climate change is man made really is the scientific consensus, it is not just some sectarian political opinion) does not befit a forum devoted to the ethics of science. We are all being asked to be nice, and I would like to, but you are provoking. If there is no room for discussions of climate change, there is really even less relevance to posts about all kinds of cars.

Touchstone

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Willem disagreeing is not misrepresentation, denial, attacks or provoking. The scientific consensus is within only one group, atmospheric scientists. Oceanographers, meteorologists among others have been left out. Oceans cover 70% of the earth's surface, average over 2 miles deep with water being 800 times denser than air at sea level. So far only surface temperatures are being measured.

It's this attitude that there can be no dissent and anyone who does not follow the flock is an evil, shadowy character.

@Touchstone that's mighty self righteous and in keeping with the "there can be no debate position" of climate fanatics. I'm sorry about the tragedy, but causation is another matter. It's wrong to invoke their suffering to justify a badly flawed hypothesis on climate.

Willem

Major Contributor
As for meteorologists, see here for a link to the website of the Dutch national metereological office (with a very large research unit), unfortunately in Dutch: https://www.knmi.nl/kennis-en-datac...andering-54c648d1-38d4-439c-a9cf-4ed9ded7af0d
And here for the British Metereological Office: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/climate-change/causes-of-climate-change
And France: http://www.meteofrance.fr/climat-passe-et-futur/le-climat-futur-a-l-echelle-du-globe
And here the official German weather institute: https://www.dwd.de/DE/klimaumwelt/k...id=D778EF9A0BBEC6702B9F701A3746F4F8.live11041

And by the way, part of my own research is on the earlier history of natural climate change. If you want to see what even natural climate change can do, read: https://www.cambridge.org/nl/academ...ase-and-society-late-medieval-world?format=PB
However, the correlation between current climate change and fossil fuel consumption since the Industrial Revolution is quite simply too strong to be shrugged off. This is not to say that the precise mechanisms by which the one led to the other are necessarily completely understood (nobody claims that), but it is enough to move into action. If we do not do anything there will be massive coastal flooding, bush fires, harvest failures and more.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The scientific consensus on electronics is within only one group, physics scientists.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The scientific consensus on electronics is within only one group, physics scientists.

What about electrical engineers?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
OK, lets stick to audio. No more climate change unless tersely in a discussion of amplifier power consumption, no more cars unless car audio, etc.
Well no more car analogies would be nice ha ha

No problem with enthusiast of anything, just no need to politicise everything. Well not here anyway.

Thanks for halting the current trajectory chaps.

Touchstone

... Feel free to take yourselves down there.

I can understand your need to foreclose on the turn this thread has taken, Thomas, but I don't intend to site idly by when accused of this sort of intellectual dishonesty:
It's wrong to invoke their suffering to justify a badly flawed hypothesis on climate.
So I need to point out that I did no such thing.
I referred only to the insult contained in someone citing a scientifically illiterate blog like whatsupwith that as having anything to offer to discussions of relations between climate change and the current fires.
As for whom Mr Texas thinks 'they' are, he knows as little about me (and my friends and relatives) as he does about science.

Beyond that, I won't bother saying anything else. We've got too much to do here and if ASR has been a useful distraction from the day to day and a nice source of solidarity I'll get back to other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom