• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aussie Bushfires

Status
Not open for further replies.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I can't imagine even climate will become a taboo in everyday conversations. It is not a topic that needs to be politicized.

If everyone can tune down his or her level of assertion and be willing to humbly listen a little bit more, I am sure it will help better understandings of whatever issues. It is also the spirit of pursuing science.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 44778Here's a pic of the Melbourne CBD taken from Carlton (1.5km north) 20 mins ago... The smoke and smog are toxic.
I saw similar scenes in Colorado a few years ago, makes my eye and sinuses burn just looking at it.

Climate change has affected both my attitudes about hifi equipment and automobiles: In audio, BTU output of the electronics has become a bigger deal for me, and running the A/C isn’t a great solution. With automobiles, the 2-seat roadster isn’t so much fun anymore! Feels like ideal top-down weather has shrunken down to a couple of weeks in the spring, and another couple of weeks in autumn, so why bother.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be an engineering consensus

Engineers often use the scientific method of testing a hypothesis with an experiment. There is a lot of overlap.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Colorado? Oh, yeah... From a roller-coaster year a few years ago:

February blizzard:
IMG_2707_small.jpg

June smoke plume (from a fast-growing fire near us taken as we were loading the cars):
IMG_3361_small.jpg

It's hard to describe the feelings of fear and helplessness facing such events. The local news is just now showing some shots from Australia bringing back lots of memories. I've spent time helping friends and neighbors clear trees and move things out at the last second and know many people who lost homes and pretty much everything else. My closest co-worker lost his house from a fire. Whatever they managed to save (two car loads) plus new things they had purchased were stored at his in-law's house across town. A month before his new house was completed, his in-law's house burned down in a second fire, taking everything they had saved from the first fire and what they had purchased for their new home. I told him he could not move near me. Our next-door neighbor's sister (I think) got awakened by dogs barking while she was napping on her couch after being up all night packing just in case they had to evac. The fire was burning her deck; she grabbed the dogs and one small box of papers and drove out the garage as it was burning down. Scary. They lost everything they had packed (save the one box of papers).

Makes my stomach hurt just thinking about it and what Australians are going through.

Attachments

• IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG
    968.6 KB · Views: 64

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I/we lost a family home of 29 years to flooding, so don't tell me I don't know what's going on. What's worse, taking your ruined belongings out to the curb, or watching them go up in smoke. The house could not be repaired economically. That's a long story by itself. We should limit our focus to empathy for those trapped in this natural catastrophe (disaster isn't enough) and stop pontificating about the causes.

I saw two news articles today. In one, the Jerusalem Zoo is contributing to help wildlife. In the other, the Irwin family is doing it too.

This too shall pass. God will help the survivors to move forward.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which god is that? 'God' the destroyer is hard at work at the moment. I think there is one called 'the deliverer'.

What kind of a person are you? If this is your sincere belief, I feel sorry for you. However, I suspect you just hate me for not sharing your point of view.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@PierreV Roger Waters is a fabulous musician, but he is also a major player in antisemitism. He is the face of BDS, a movement which openly advocates genocide against all Jews living in Israel. Is he the kind of person you want to look up to?

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
What kind of a person are you? If this is your sincere belief, I feel sorry for you. However, I suspect you just hate me for not sharing your point of view.

Sometime typical self-affirming 'believer' response. No I don't hate you. I don't need your self-serving patronising. I don't even wish to deny you your religious belief.

I just believe in one god less than you. Many gods less than some others. As do many others. Sorry if that causes you moral discomfort.

Now the thread is Aussie Bushfires. Let's get back on track.

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Wombat how many evacuees are you hosting at your home? What are you doing to help your "mates"? I post that I lost a home to a natural disaster, and all you can focus on is the mention of god. You present as a person who follows an empty ideology and iscompletely lacking in real empathy. Your reply to my post speaks volumes.

astr0b0y

I had hoped NZ would escape the worst of our climate change but seems like not. They’ve already bared the major brunt of the hole in the ozone layer, so maybe they will be more greatly affected by increased summer temperatures. Southern Tassie looks good.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes I find a thread really confusing, then it slowly dawns on me that one of the people on my ignore list must be posting a lot...

gikigill

I had hoped NZ would escape the worst of our climate change but seems like not. They’ve already bared the major brunt of the hole in the ozone layer, so maybe they will be more greatly affected by increased summer temperatures. Southern Tassie looks good.

Southern Tassie is where you you tell your daughter to stop smoking on the dinner table.

She,s only 15 after-all and her kids are watching:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom