• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A call to all DIY Speaker builders here on ASR....

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for the vague thread title, didn't know how best to word it. There's a guy here on ASR, Xulonn is his username, and he is likely to pass away quite soon, and he started a thread describing his situation: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-i-am-not-down-and-out-yet.33332/post-1682839 . That's a link to my post in that thread of his where I had an idea that his artist friend, who's family looked after him to prevent him having to go into a nursing home....my idea being that his artist friend could add art to DIY speakers to personalise them. Have a look at that post I linked previously on some more detail of my ideas. I think Xulonn would have liked to think there was something positive coming out of the whole situation.

Now I don't really want to be the one that investigates/manages/runs with this idea to make it happen (if it is indeed possible), but I did want to get word out to the DIY speaker builders here to see if they liked the idea, and if someone here wanted to investigate & run with it - as it is applicable to you folks. I felt it would be a shame not to put my idea across if it meant something positive could have come out of it.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
While appreciate the sentiment, your proposal is vague as am not sure what you really want to make happen?

Please elaborate a bit more.

OP
Robbo99999

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While appreciate the sentiment, your proposal is vague as am not sure what you really want to make happen?

Please elaborate a bit more.
Well, his artist friend, they both helped each other, like I said.....and with Xulonn being gone or going soon I thought he would like something positive to come out of it in terms of his artist friend getting more work and something being created kind of in his legacy.....this is an audio forum afterall, so customised art placed on DIY speakers came to mind, as that is crossing over both our world (here on ASR) with what Xulonn was involved with. Over in Panama, where Xulonn lived (lives, we don't know if he's passed yet), he was a keen wood turner, and he commented on all the fabulous woods over there - so I thought it would be an opportunity for speaker panels to be made over there from some of the interesting woods and then be customised with art (from Richar Huisa his artist friend), before being sent to where the buyer lived where they could assemble it themselves (like you do with normal DIY speakers). Or conversely speaker panels could be sent to the artist for custom artwork to be placed on them before being sent back to the person so they can assemble it. Looking at a pic of some of the artwork, I aesthetically imagined that the art that's on the wooden tiles in the following pic would best suit speakers, if you notice there's a treble cleff & a guitar on a couple of them, and it's done using a burnt wood technique (a "heated pen" that burns the wood):
Huisa-Plates-Pyrography-at-Tuesday-Market.jpg

I don't know if this is gonna be possible in practice, but it was an idea I had, and I wanted to put that idea out there. If there are DIY speaker builders here that feel like it's a good idea and they'd like their own DIY speaker like that, then they could pick up my idea & run with it: contact the artist over in Panama (he's got a website https://richarhuisa-artist.com/ ) & see if he'd want to do that & see if it's possible. I just had the idea as a way of marking Xulonn's presence on this website now that he is gone (or soon to go), and also to maybe provide something positive towards the people that looked after him so that he didn't need to go into a nursing home: his artist friend's family looked after him so he didn't need to go into a nursing home. Perhaps there's people in the DIY speaker building ASR population that knew Xulonn and also feel like they'd want to do something along the lines of what my idea is suggesting. That's why I've set up this thread.

Top Bottom