• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

delfuego

I ordered a Audiophonics DAW-S250NC (edited) and it showed up today. Still trying to get it all figured out. Connected it brand new to Revel M16. Haven't been able to get the wifi connected and WiiM home app requires wifi. I emailed Audiophonics and waiting to hear back. I really wanted am all-in-one for streaming digital music, all my records, cd's and tapes are long gone. Jury is still out for me. I've only been able to stream via tablet Bluetooth so far and it's not great. Could be the speakers, could be the stream quality, could be a lot of things. I'll try to keep you posted.

For what it's worth, I'm a hi-fi beginner. But this is targeted for beginners. Last brand new speakers I bought were out of the back of a van, gotta good deal on them :). I am however very knowledgeable with computers, servers, networks, etc, etc.

Last edited:

Sangro

I ordered a Audiophonics DA-S250NC and it showed up today. Still trying to get it all figured out. Connected it brand new to Revel M16. Haven't been able to get the wifi connected and WiiM home app requires wifi. I emailed Audiophonics and waiting to hear back. I really wanted am all-in-one for streaming digital music, all my records, cd's and tapes are long gone. Jury is still out for me. I've only been able to stream via tablet Bluetooth so far and it's not great. Could be the speakers, could be the stream quality, could be a lot of things. I'll try to keep you posted.

For what it's worth, I'm a hi-fi beginner. But this is targeted for beginners. Last brand new speakers I bought were out of the back of a van, gotta good deal on them :). I am however very knowledgeable with computers, servers, networks, etc, etc.
Hope you get everything working, i am eager to hear about your experience with this amp! It seems to be a great all-in one package.. on paper at least.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Always happy to see an European manufacturer, but... but... why this and not Yamaha RN803D?!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered a Audiophonics DA-S250NC and it showed up today

Haven't been able to get the wifi connected and WiiM home app requires wifi.
If you effectively ordered DA-S250C and not DAW-S250C, you would have to wait for the WiiM app to connect... forever. This is a DAC/Amp, not a Streamer/DAC/Amp as is the latter.;)

why this and not Yamaha RN803D?!
More compact, cleaner, more powerful, less power consumption...

Last edited:

Paszek

Hello, my first post here :) So, first of all thank you all for contributions in this forum, which I read for some time now. It changed my persepctive, when I was trying to figure out how to improve my music listening experience.

Long story short, I decided to buy Wharfedale Lintons and Audiophonics DA-S250NC. I have no competence to say anything analitycal about sound, other that that, now I hear details in known songs I did not notice with my previous gear (inherited Sony SS-F6000P + Sony STR-DG510). I use external Wiim Mini with it (mainly AirPlay connection with Deezer app on iPhone) and I'm happy with sound quality.

There is just one thing that bugs me and to be honest it's reason I write here. I'm not sure if it's standard in integrated amps but every time I change or pause song there is this click sound. As far as I understand amp has to switch to dummy load in between tracks to protect speakers (?). Maybe it's just me and my sensitivity but I think it is quite loud and frequent (pause/unpause/end of song/start of song). It occurs with optical (Wiim Mini) and bluetooth input (I did not try USB yet) with iPhone and Mac as a source. I contacted with Audiophonics and they say it is switching relay and it is inherent to the functioning of the product.

And when I was just thinking "Wow, it sounds like I'm there" there is this *click* *click*... "No, I'm not there".

Only solution I came up with is compiling whole albums to one continuous track.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello, my first post here :) So, first of all thank you all for contributions in this forum, which I read for some time now. It changed my persepctive, when I was trying to figure out how to improve my music listening experience.

Long story short, I decided to buy Wharfedale Lintons and Audiophonics DA-S250NC. I have no competence to say anything analitycal about sound, other that that, now I hear details in known songs I did not notice with my previous gear (inherited Sony SS-F6000P + Sony STR-DG510). I use external Wiim Mini with it (mainly AirPlay connection with Deezer app on iPhone) and I'm happy with sound quality.

There is just one thing that bugs me and to be honest it's reason I write here. I'm not sure if it's standard in integrated amps but every time I change or pause song there is this click sound. As far as I understand amp has to switch to dummy load in between tracks to protect speakers (?). Maybe it's just me and my sensitivity but I think it is quite loud and frequent (pause/unpause/end of song/start of song). It occurs with optical (Wiim Mini) and bluetooth input (I did not try USB yet) with iPhone and Mac as a source. I contacted with Audiophonics and they say it is switching relay and it is inherent to the functioning of the product.

And when I was just thinking "Wow, it sounds like I'm there" there is this *click* *click*... "No, I'm not there".

Only solution I came up with is compiling whole albums to one continuous track.
Welcome Aboard @Paszek. Changing perspectives is the outcome. Giving you the data and scientific facts is the objective goal. The making up the mind is your own.

trifon3fon

I contacted with Audiophonics and they say it is switching relay and it is inherent to the functioning of the product.

I understand if we talk about a defective unit, but for a company that aspires for high fidelity to convince a customer that relay clicking between songs is a feature is beyond me. Inaudible measurements doesn’t matter when we experience audible clicks…

Raxumit

I just received my DA-S205NC this evening. I can reproduce at least one aspect of the clicking issue when using Qobuz over Bluetooth, where if I pause the bitstream ceases, which I believe causes the relay to toggle. I don't think I'm noticing any clicks between tracks though.

I haven't decided if this is a deal breaker for me, since 99% of the time I use a Squeezebox 3 which has a bitstream output whenever it is on. I'm confident this issue could be fixed in firmware, but is there a simple path to do an upgrade? Do other DACs support update over USB? The timeout could be configurable, with an "always on" option.

I'd also love to control the timeout for the display, which goes dark pretty quickly. Yes, I realize I might shorten the lifetime of the display, but I should be given the option (Timeout 5s, 10s, 30s, 60s, 2m, 5m, always on, always off).

Bleib

Major Contributor
you should send it back and ask for a refund
I'd rather say to try to contact Audiophonics to see if they can do something about it. Since most of the time it's the same format that is playing for a long time a firmware could potentially at least make sure that it stays in certain settings. No click.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor

regan

I'd rather say to try to contact Audiophonics to see if they can do something about it. Since most of the time it's the same format that is playing for a long time a firmware could potentially at least make sure that it stays in certain settings. No click.
Well he said he contacted them and they said it's a feature not a bug so...

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well he said he contacted them and they said it's a feature not a bug so...
Sure, but if enough people make a bit noise..

Top Bottom