• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics DA-S250NC and DAW-S250NC : new integrated amps with DAC (streamer) and Ncore !

Raxumit

I think you are asking "If I can buy a Rotel A14 for the same price as an Audiophonics DAW-S250NC, what distinguishes them?"
  • The usable wattage on the Audiophonics is going to be higher, 150W @ 8Ω on the Audiophonics vs. 80W @ 8Ω on the Rotel. Amir says "So you better have a beefy amplifier to drive [Elac DBR-62]", but I expect 80W is enough. Others should chime in if I'm wrong about this, or anything else.
  • The Rotel has a lot more inputs. If you need a phono input, for example, the Rotel is your only option.
  • The network music player on the Audiophonics is Wifi only. The Rotel offers Cat5 wired networked connections as well, it looks like.
  • The software driving the network player on the Audiophonics is an older Linkplay module. I don't know what's in the Rotel, but it appears to be Roon ready, which the Audiophonics is not and may never be. You should look carefully at your use case and figure out which one works best. If you don't need a built-in network player, the Audiophonics DA-S250NC is cheaper.
  • Form factor and UI are similar but details matter. Is there a feature you need that one doesn't do, or one does better?
What is your music source? Do you have more than one? Do you stream? Do you use a turntable?

My take on the Audiophonics is that if it completely covers your use case, it's a good value. I have only one music source and I never switch it. I just wanted a modern class D amp with a volume knob, display, and remote, and that's what I got. If your needs are different, be sure you'll be getting everything you need out of the Audiophonics.

Last edited:

DTTOM37

hello what is more relevant between this one and a rotel a14 at an equal price for elac dbr62?
Defining relevance, first?
(or choose your points of relevance below ...) ;-)

First A14 from 2017 or a newer version ?
+ A14 has Phono input at 90db SNR

DAW-SC250NC
+ more power at 4/8 ohm from Hypex NCORE 252MP module - used as well in upmarket brand amplifiers like the Cambridge EVO 150 (2.7k Euro) or TEAC Reference AP701 (3.7k Euro)
+ better THD
+ better SNR
+ better DAC chip ESS9038q2m
+ LDAC bluetooth QCC5125 chip
+ Wifi module WIIM based (only in the DAW version)
+ RCA / line out
- no analog in
- no phono in

Overseas

Major Contributor
What is all this hype on class D power, when all calculators show that people only need 5-15 watts for some 90 dB speakers for normal room listening?

Probably Rotel A11 Tribute is enough for you, then get a WiimPro.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is all this hype on class D power, when all calculators show that people only need 5-15 watts for some 90 dB speakers for normal room listening?

I can think of a few reasons why 5-15 watts wouldn’t be what most need for normal listening.
-I would question that 90dB speakers is the norm. Many are using bookshelf speakers rated 83-86dB. Also, many manufacturers grossly exaggerate their sensitivity.
-listening distance for many is 10-15 feet, require quite a lot more power
-Peaks- If you are listening to dynamic you have to account for up to 20dB peaks.

This is certainly something that “depends” on users individual systems. But I think that the idea that you only need a few watts isn’t something that is universally true and something that is more often than not, wrong IMO.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I can think of a few reasons why 5-15 watts wouldn’t be what most need for normal listening.
-I would question that 90dB speakers is the norm. Many are using bookshelf speakers rated 83-86dB. Also, many manufacturers grossly exaggerate their sensitivity.
-listening distance for many is 10-15 feet, require quite a lot more power
-Peaks- If you are listening to dynamic you have to account for up to 20dB peaks.

This is certainly something that “depends” on users individual systems. But I think that the idea that you only need a few watts isn’t something that is universally true and something that is more often than not, wrong IMO.
I would add EQ in the list,it can eat up a fair amount of power,I have seen as much as 6db around here,that's a lot of power.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

meme15-300x240_edit_2007575997356684.jpg

Overseas

Major Contributor
Really? Is that on your planet? Cause on my national forum, 99% of the guys have no problem with 2x50w amps. But again, I do not know your planet.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? Is that on your planet? Cause on my national forum, 99% of the guys have no problem with 2x50w amps. But again, I do not know your planet.
I simply provided some counter points on why I believe your 5-15w is not adequate for many people.. I'm sure there are many situations where not much power is used where the system is played only at low/medium volume, listening is done at a close distance, or a high sensitivity speaker is used. I just don't think that is the case for the majority of people. And power is cheap so why not get more than you need to help drive any speaker you may end up with.. It just doesn't make sense to me to have anything less than 100w.
And why instead of simply countering with some facts do you resort to "what planet" and "you guys". It doesn't do much to further the discussion.

Overseas

Major Contributor
For many people... that you know, probably you have the privilege of being in the elite circle that DAILY push your 2x500w amps, bizzarely using low sensitivity speakers, that is why I used the hyperbole 'your planet'. I believe you do that, otherwise it is YOU bringing out of discussion arguments about mega powerful amps that NORMAL (!?) people need.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For many people... that you know, probably you have the privilege of being in the elite circle that DAILY push your 2x500w amps, bizzarely using low sensitivity speakers, that is why I used the hyperbole 'your planet'. I believe you do that, otherwise it is YOU bringing out of discussion arguments about mega powerful amps that NORMAL (!?) people need.
OK. Let's get more specific and use a real example...
Speaker-Revel M106
Sensitivity 86
Listening distance 12 feet
Desired MAX SPL-Average 80dB / Peaks 100dB

Are you still using 5-15w? Do you still want a 50w amp?
When I look at average sensitivity of standmount/bookshelf speakers I am seeing 85-87dB sensitivity. Even many floorstanding speakers such as the Salon2, Philharmnoic BMR Tower and others are 86/87 dB.
I did not mentioned 500w everyone needs a 500w amp. I simply was saying only needing 5-15w isn't adequate with many speakers today.

delfuego

@Audiophonics Is there a way to update the firmware/software (Wiim module) on these devices? I am keeping the Wiim controller app updated, but it does not appear to have the ability to update (or even identify) the firmware version of the DAW-250NC. Perhaps I am missing something? User serviceability (and especially security patching!) of internet connected devices is critical, please do not over look this. Please remember that now that your are producing IoT devices, you have become a tech company, please help us keep your device and our networks safe :)

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiophonics DA-S250NC Stereo Amplifier and DAC review hypex class D.jpg

Top Bottom