• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Processor needed: Multi channel to 2.0 (Large Speakers)

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So if you set it to 120hz +2dB, roughly this will happen:

1674918947933.png

OP
Z

zakazak

So if you set it to 120hz +2dB, roughly this will happen:

View attachment 260611
Oh thanks. That makes sense. Thank you a lot for your guidance!

I guess that first peak after 100Hz (or basically the first neutral/flat level right after the dip, where your red line stops) will also be increased by +2dB because that looks like it will still be within the 120Hz?

Maybe I can ask DSPeaker if they can add their microphone to the supported list of microphones for REW?
The DSPeaker microphone needs to be somewhat calibrated as well... so if REW know the calibration, then it could support it.
That would make measurements and tracking changes a lot easier! Right now I also have no idea what happens in the mid and highs.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Oh thanks. That makes sense. Thank you a lot for your guidance!

I guess that first peak after 100Hz (or basically the first neutral/flat level right after the dip, where your red line stops) will also be increased by +2dB because that looks like it will still be within the 120Hz?

Maybe I can ask DSPeaker if they can add their microphone to the supported list of microphones for REW?
The DSPeaker microphone needs to be somewhat calibrated as well... so if REW know the calibration, then it could support it.
That would make measurements and tracking changes a lot easier! Right now I also have no idea what happens in the mid and highs.

1) Probably not because it's a gradual lift from the starting point. So it's not instant 2dB at 120hz, it tilts up from there.

2) REW does not provide calibration files, the microphone manufacturers do. You will be better off with a proper microphone. :)

OP
Z

zakazak

1) Probably not because it's a gradual lift from the starting point. So it's not instant 2dB at 120hz, it tilts up from there.

2) REW does not provide calibration files, the microphone manufacturers do. You will be better off with a proper microphone. :)

Ye that is why I meant that DSPeaker (who provides the microphone) could provide the calibration file maybe?
Or a simple software to use their microphone to make decent frequency measurement graphs.
They could save the whole frequency response in the .svg in the first place lol. But then the X2 does not future a plain "measurement" mode to get graphs for the adjusted settings.

The UMIK-1 is another 150€ and there only seem to be a few shops in EU that actually sell it anyway.
Plus we already have a capable microphone from DSPeaker.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The X2 is a relatively cheap offering, and it does what it does. :)

With regards to offering calibration files for REW for mics sent with room correction devices, I don't know of any manufacturer who does that.

OP
Z

zakazak

The X2 is a relatively cheap offering, and it does what it does. :)

With regards to offering calibration files for REW for mics sent with room correction devices, I don't know of any manufacturer who does that.

Ye it is basically a one of a kind for that price and does just enough for what most people would need.

Regarding REW: Getting a mic and REW to see my whole frequency response won't help much because there isn't much more I could adjust with the X2 anyway?

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Ye it is basically a one of a kind for that price and does just enough for what most people would need.

Regarding REW: Getting a mic and REW to see my whole frequency response won't help much because there isn't much more I could adjust with the X2 anyway?

It's always helpful to understand your room and your room response, but with just two speakers (and if I understand it correctly limited placement options?), there only so much you can do. The X2 has likely already done most of what can be done other than tilt the bass to your preference.

So I agree, you probably won't be able to do much more after seeing your room. I would suggest (as mentioned) changing the bass tilt to maybe start at 120hz, and setting it to +4 or +5 (or whatever sounds best to you), and then live with that a few days. Then you can return to this thread and report on your experience of the sound. :)

OP
Z

zakazak

This is all really interesting:
I have tried to fiddle / replicate all kind of things (e.g. +/- dB for low/mid/high on my amp trying to replicate the calibrated EQ of the AM X2).
Tried to moving speakers (I have very minimal room, can provide pictures if anyone is interested) and so on.
This weekend I will have people over for their "test listening opinion".
It seems like I am now also in contact with someone who beta tests the newer firmwares and has a good insight on how the current & future settings work.

Anyway, I would be interested in doing some measurments, playing with settings, doing some more measurements, and so on.
I would provide those results here for anyone who is also curious what a specific setting does or what this device really is capable of.
This could help someone to decide wether to buy the device for themselves or not.

But for that I would need a "UMIK-1" microphone.

So I wonder: Is anyone interested in borrowing me the mic so I can do the work and then post the results here?
Everyone would profit. I would provide the AM X2 + do the work. Regarding shipping/postage: I am living in Europe.

OP
Z

zakazak

@sigbergaudio there is a new FW update for the X2 which adds handy features and even seems to improve the calibration.

I have no set the low/bass filter to +2dB for 0-110Hz.
This is my new resp curve: https://files.bestmail.ws/X2/RESP1.SVG

One questions regarding subsonic filter:
My speakers are Magnat Zero 8 which are huge ported 3-way speakers which are supposed to provider 24-34.000Hz.
Setting the subsonic to the highest possible value (20Hz) is useless because my speakers can't even go lower than 24Hz?
Additionally I read that subsonic filter can cause all kind of troubles such as moving the phase or other unwanted distortion.
Or is a subsonic filter still a good idea to protect my speaker? But if so, at which value should I set it?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Older amps tend to have a lot of gain (favorable input sensitivity).

Everyone is “right” about the TV down mixing BUT a lot of downmixing also performs dynamic range compression which is part of the reason it doesn’t sound “correct” to you.

The rear channels can mixed in the 2.0 mix as out of phase to give you a more diffuse sound field. This is actually part of the original Dolby Surround processing of the 80’s.

Your best bet is finding the Yamaha Cx-A5000/5100/5200.

These had fancier HRTF based processing for downmixing as opposed to the simple out of phase approach.

They have decent room correction (reflected sound) but poor auto EQ. You can do a REW sweep and use the parametric equalizer which has a few different frequencies, Q values, etc.

The CX-A5000 has no Atmos, but does have DD+ which is high bitrate DD and more channels. I don’t remember if the room correction is the 64-bit precision one.

The CX-A5100 has the best overall SINAD.

The CX-A5200 has a glitch with balanced outs, but for unbalanced is OK. It has eARC and Surround AI for enhanced DSP effects for movies.

The RX-AxA amps have pre-outs. The A6A has a glitch with the center pre out but for your 2.0 setup, it’s OK. Note the voltage as well

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@sigbergaudio there is a new FW update for the X2 which adds handy features and even seems to improve the calibration.

I have no set the low/bass filter to +2dB for 0-110Hz.
This is my new resp curve: https://files.bestmail.ws/X2/RESP1.SVG

One questions regarding subsonic filter:
My speakers are Magnat Zero 8 which are huge ported 3-way speakers which are supposed to provider 24-34.000Hz.
Setting the subsonic to the highest possible value (20Hz) is useless because my speakers can't even go lower than 24Hz?
Additionally I read that subsonic filter can cause all kind of troubles such as moving the phase or other unwanted distortion.
Or is a subsonic filter still a good idea to protect my speaker? But if so, at which value should I set it?

Yes, aware of the new firmware - great update!

When you see a frequency response specification like that, it typically indicates when roll-off start, and typically -3dB or -6dB point. So your speakers are likely -6dB at 24hz. So there's still content below that. So a 20hz subsonic filter could make sense, but probably not necessary if you're not going to deliberately try to play as loud as possible. I would just disable it if I were you.

Top Bottom