• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HT Processor and amp recommendation Help NEEDED

susu919

Hi all, new to this GREAT forum. Been enjoying reading Amir's reviews, it is helpful and insightful. I'm looking for some professional advice.

Background:
1.Room size: around 5m(W) * 6m(L) * 2.6m(H).
2.Currently use shield as streaming device.
3. In New York.

Requirements:
1. 60% for movies and 40% for music.
2. Not so particular about the small difference of audio, I think I can not differentiate it.So high end product maybe not suitable for me at this stage, I am looking for some practical or value for money solution.
3. Not intent to spent time in debug and not wish to upgrade equipments frequently. Not good at it. I wish to focus on music itself.
4. Will build the system step by step. From 2.0 to 7.2 max.
5. Budget for Processor and amplifier, MSPR price around 3k. Maybe buy refurbished and final price ard 2k.

Questions:
1.Should I go with one single AVR such as Marantz Cenima 50 or processor + amplifier solution? Someone recommend emotive xc1+A2+5 channel amplifier, cost ard 2k.
2.Or any other better options, such as Denon 3800 + 2 channel amplifier for the left and right speaker?

Speakers considering, will change if have better solutions,I don’t have brand preference. Budget maybe 4K for speakers. Can consider refurnished one.
KEF 950
KEF 650
SVS PB2000

Another question, for this kind of setup, I can setup with the technical support from the brand, no need to engage local Audio dealer to help me? I understand testing and installation is important for the final effect, but don’t know how to choose the right dealer, any advice for the setup part, or I just try to connect myself for the start?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Separates are typically more expensive than AVR´s. I´d rather spend less in electronics (Denon and Marantz are the to go choices) and place more budget on the speakers. If you like KEF and want to build a system with separates, I´d consider the R series, at least on the front section.

OP
susu919

susu919

Separates are typically more expensive than AVR´s. I´d rather spend less in electronics (Denon and Marantz are the to go choices) and place more budget on the speakers. If you like KEF and want to build a system with separates, I´d consider the R series, at least on the front section.
I don’t have any preference on brand. I have budget constraints, maybe 6k for the whole systems. In this case which speaker or front speaker you recommend, I totally agree that front speaker should be allocate more budget. Thx for your reply.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Where are you located? In the US? If so you could buy online from Crutchfield and they offer lifetime tech support and that is very helpful with setup advice. They also offer free 60 day returns.

I would just stick to an AVR like above recommendation. Denon is usually cheaper and measures the same or better than marantz. As above recommendation, speakers are what your hear—so the better the speakers the better the sound.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would recommend Onkyo RZ50 or the equivalent Pioneer model.

Denon AVR-X3800H is good too, and Denon's known for relatively bug free and quite reliable.

For speakers, KEF R series are hard to beat.

OP
susu919

susu919

I would recommend Onkyo RZ50 or the equivalent Pioneer model.

Denon AVR-X3800H is good too, and Denon's known for relatively bug free and quite reliable.

For speakers, KEF R series are hard to beat.
Thx for your advice. How to choose for the attached two AVR? I am also considering the 4700H.

Attachments

• IMG_1867.png
    IMG_1867.png
    639.1 KB · Views: 35

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most AVRs have room correcting DSP, a must for music and movies. Many have other features like streaming and internet radio also.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thx for your advice. How to choose for the attached two AVR? I am also considering the 4700H.
I am not sure about refurbished, you may get lucky and end up with that is virtually brand new but it is hard to know

Amazon has great sale on the AVR-X6700H and the incredible deal on the SR8015 that has a 10% discount coupon on top of a good sales price.

With those 2, you likely don't need an external amp, especially the SR8015.

If I were in the US, I would be tempted to grab one just for spare.

You can also wait for the AVR-X4800H to go on sale for about $1600, that happened not that long ago. In my opinion, such deals are better than buying refurbishelf.

OP
susu919

susu919

I am not sure about refurbished, you may get lucky and end up with that is virtually brand new but it is hard to know

Amazon has great sale on the AVR-X6700H and the incredible deal on the SR8015 that has a 10% discount coupon on top of a good sales price.

You can also wait for the AVR-X4800H to go on sale for about $1600, that happened not that long ago. In my opinion, such deals are better than buying refurbishelf.
thx. I found that RZ50 have “Discrete Zone 2 HDMI Switching”, it seems useful when I have multiple device in different rooms, such as another TV or kids play game at the same time.

OP
susu919

susu919

Finally I am comparing these two,New one sales price.
1.Denon 6700H,$1758.
2.Onkyo RZ50,$1100.

Which one is better fit my current requirement? Thx a lot.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Biased. Guilty as charged. I would go with Denon, because of Audyssey. It is one of the best DSP/DRC (Digital Room Correction) out there, I would suggest to acquire the Audyssey MultEQ-X; this circa $200 Windows Application if correctly used is a game changer IME. People here will guide/help you through it. It is complex, but I have come to see it as essential.

Good luck with your search.

Peace.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally I am comparing these two,New one sales price.
1.Denon 6700H,$1758.
2.Onkyo RZ50,$1100.

Which one is better fit my current requirement? Thx a lot.
If the Onkyo has all the features you need, then it saves you $650. Unless, if you can wait for the x3800h to go on sale, then I think it is much more future proof. The x6700h is a higher end unit, just that it is a little outdated, not by much though.

Top Bottom